preeclampsia and jaundice

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mrs.spit

Re : preeclampsia and jaundice

Postby mrs.spit » Fri Oct 09, 638635 10:42 pm

I was a post-mature baby (almost a month!) and I had jaundice quite badly, and they told my mother it was because the placenta had broken down quite badly!

katznkt

Postby katznkt » Fri Oct 09, 638635 10:35 pm

That is really interesting. My 39 week baby (when I had PE) had jaundice and had an extended stay with the lamp. I always thought it was strange I didn't think they should have jaundice at 39 weeks. Maybe there is something to this.... and the reason we don't know is because most PE babies are delivered early which gives an easy explanation for jaundice.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun May 06, 638632 10:08 pm

I have run across a number of things in the past re: placental insufficiency --> jaundice, including speculation about molecular mechanisms that might be particularly related. But most of them are in sketchier journals. :-)

The most reliable thing I've found today is here, which says Finally, 23 of 25 women with extremely high maternal serum human chorionic gonadotropin levels (> or = 14;10 MoM) had serious adverse outcomes (such as fetal abnormalities, pregnancy-associated hypertensive disorder, premature separation of placenta, intrauterine growth restriction, neonatal respiratory distress syndrome, and neonatal jaundice...

But that's correlated, not causal, and I don't see that they picked out the premature ones.

There's some interesting recent stuff with links between high levels of oxidants -- which we know is true in PE, and is why they tried antioxidants on us (alas to no effect) -- and neonatal jaundice, but it's very preliminary work, and so it's just interesting and not a dead giveaway. :-)

blythe

Postby blythe » Thu Apr 26, 638632 2:05 am

I'm pretty sure that it's just prematurity that's a risk factor for jaundice, not the disease of PE itself. I'm not positive, but I did a quick pubmed search and couldn't find any articles comparing preterm infants due to pre-term labor vs. PE and resulting jaundice. It's always possible that I may have been putting in the wrong search terms...

I found this reference (I think Merck is a reputable source) that seems to say it's just prematurity, though -
http://www.merck.com/mmhe/print/sec23/ch264/ch264c.html
Jaundice: In premature newborns, the liver is slow in clearing bilirubin (the yellow bile pigment that results from the normal breakdown of red blood cells) from the blood.

I think it's really interesting that you found the bit about the placenta and bilirubin clearance - I'm curious to see if Caryn finds anything different that I found!

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Thu Apr 26, 638632 1:12 am

Both of my preemies also needed phototherapy for jaundice...

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Wed Apr 25, 638632 11:07 pm

Hmmm - interesting!! My 2 girls where I had PE & not "just" PIH both had jaundice but my 36 weeker needed several days of photo therapy. But she was also the earliest & smallest.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Apr 25, 638632 10:57 pm

Probably both -- I'll go look. My 34-weeker was in NICU for a week, mostly for jaundice...

rachaelann

preeclampsia and jaundice

Postby rachaelann » Wed Apr 25, 638632 10:47 pm

i recently delivered a preemie who had to do the phototherapy treatment for jaundice. while doing research on jaundice i read how the mothers placenta helps remove billirubin from the babys blood while she is pregnant. im wondering if preeclampsia predisposes babies to getting jaundiced because the placenta isnt working properly or if preeclampsia often results in premature babies who have a harder time breaking down the billirubin. or i guess both? any research on this?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”