Only diastolic elevated?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
nov_mum

Re : Only diastolic elevated?

Postby nov_mum » Mon Nov 30, 2009 05:12 pm

The systolic (top number) is how much pressure is being placed on your arteries etc when the heart is working/pumping. The diastolic (bottom number) is how much pressure is on your arteries etc when the heart is at rest, or between pumps. The reason why Dr's get more excited when your diastolic increases is that it signals that your arteries are under constant pressure ad therefore is likely to cause more issues. In saying that, no major increase in either is desirable or healthy.

saramomofmany

Postby saramomofmany » Sun Nov 29, 2009 06:17 pm

Thanks for your response. I was really hoping to go into labor myself this time and not have to be induced(baby #5 was induced at 37 weeks + 1 day due to severe p.e.)...My blood pressures were so good and then I hit 37 weeks, and now they aren't behaving themselves!! My midwife is being very careful to try to help me avoid the mag, and catch this before it would actually develop into p.e. so I'm hoping we can get this to work out. I have a feeling I'll be getting induced in the next day or two...I hate pitocin, but hate the mag even more!!

Sara

beetkvass

Postby beetkvass » Sun Nov 29, 2009 05:53 pm

It's my understanding that the diastolic is the more concerning number.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sun Nov 29, 2009 05:15 pm

I'm glad you are going for a re-check tomorrow. Just from my own experience, my OB was more concerned when my diastolic was high than if/when my systolic was high.

saramomofmany

Only diastolic elevated?

Postby saramomofmany » Sun Nov 29, 2009 03:02 pm

Anyone have any clue about the diastolic(bottom) part of the b.p. being elevated but not the systolic? Friday I went in for my 37 week+2 day appt, and my b.p. was a little high(I think 142/92), but no protein, no swelling, headaches, labwork came back good, etc. Anyways, I am supposed to come back in tomorrow for a recheck on the b.p. I have been checking it at home with my own machine, and for the most part, the systolic is behaving, but the diastolic is running from the high 80's to low 90's.

Thanks!! Sara

Return to “Ask the Experienced”