High BP

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
rebecca2

Re : High BP

Postby rebecca2 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 07:29 pm

Did you speak with your insurance? I have an HMO and no one ever suggested that we would time delivery based on my HMO's policies. Something doesn't sound right with that. I would definitely call the insurance company and start asking lots of questions. Don't settle for the first answer you get either. A lot of times the folks answering the calls are far from brilliant, so you may have to call back until you get some that can help. (I say that b/c mine told me they approved a semen analysis for me not my husband! Needless to say after I stopped laughing at her, I called back and got to speak to someone else that was more helpful.)

Two other suggestions for dealing with the insurance: 1. You might be able to search for the clinical policy bulletins through their website. With my insurance I just type "pregnancy CBP" in the search and it pulls up all their pregnancy related bulletins. 2. Does your insurance have a Maternity Health Program? I signed up for it during my first pregnancy and since I was high risk I could call and speak with nurses. This nurses supposedly could help get things approved by my insurance.

beetkvass

Postby beetkvass » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:31 am

Seriously! Explain that full blown preeclampsia would cost them a lot more in the long run than the cost of an induction! I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I hope everything works out well for you and baby.

prgard

Postby prgard » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:19 pm

Thank you everyone! I didn't even think about calling and asking about their policy and WHY. I will do that! So far BP and protein have been staying in check so maybe the bed rest is helping :) not too much longer to go :)

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 17, 2009 09:42 am

This is American medicine at it's worst. Why is an HMO company making medical decisions for you and your doctor?? Arg! That is just baffling!!

I hope you are able to keep your bp and protein in check with bedrest. (It worked well for me for a long time, but I know not everyone has such luck.) Did you midwife have any (safe!) tips for encouraging natural labor along?

Hang in there!! Sending you looooooow bp vibes. :)

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Thu Dec 17, 2009 06:50 am

You have every right to call your HMO and find out their policies and reasoning behind them. Good luck to you.

prgard

Postby prgard » Thu Dec 17, 2009 00:52 am

Not on any BP meds... I just looked at my record and my first prenatal appt my BP was 125/69. Thank you all for the support during this frustrating time!!

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Thu Dec 17, 2009 00:26 am

Paula,

I don't understand enough about the way US insurance works to be able to offer you any useful advice regarding that. However, I would urge you to continue to monitor your symptoms closely and head back in with any concern whatsoever.

Are you on BP meds? Just wondering what your usual BP is?

prgard

Postby prgard » Wed Dec 16, 2009 09:36 pm

Just a little update... saw the midwife and asked alot of questions! Basically the HMO will not induce until the second # of my BP is 100 or over!! I think that seems pretty crazy! BP was 132/84 when I went in today and she said that was just fine... Also said that 200 for a 24 hr protein was just fine also...does that see off to anyone? I don't get it but, I'm hoping my body will go into labor soon so I don't have to worry anymore :)

prgard

Postby prgard » Wed Dec 16, 2009 03:11 pm

Thank you so much! I keep telling my self to speak up b/c I am concerned about my baby :) She actually put me on modified (?) bedrest last friday..haha thanks for the incourgement.. now if only I can get through the appt without crying the whole time out of frustration :) Hopefully I'll have good news to report back with :)

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 16, 2009 03:01 pm

I'm really frustrated for you! I don't understand why everyone is being so laid back about such high blood pressure readings. I would be very straightforward with your midwife about your high blood pressure concerns, and remind her that you are full term now - so why wait?

All this stress can't be good for your blood pressure either. Can you place yourself on bedrest to keep your pressures as low as possible?

I hate HMOs... and I hate insurance in general. I'm so so sorry you have to deal with this B.S. I wish you could just go back to your old doctor.

I'm sending you lots of positive thoughts. Good luck with your midwife today. Please don't feel like an idiot. Remember, you are advocating for not just yourself, but your child. I always remind myself of that, and it makes me feel empowered. I don't care how foolish I look for my child's well being. :)

Sending you *hugs*!!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”