AFP questions

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
atvlady

Re : AFP questions

Postby atvlady » Thu Dec 24, 2009 09:15 pm

I had a AFP test done and it was at increased risk for OSB. I think it was 1:81. I had pre-e and hellp and pih. The amnio mom came back normal. I am being told by my OB that a "increased risk" AFP can be a indicator for pre-e.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:02 am

Julie, I had an AFP test with Sacha for the same reasons - it was actually part of a study looking into ways to predict the likelihood of pe.

When my test came back with a 1:50,000 chance of DS, the peri called me jumping for joy - and my risk for pe was put down from high to moderate (and I made it to 36 weeks).

I hope it's a good sign for you!

julieb

Postby julieb » Thu Dec 24, 2009 09:39 am

Thanks guys :) I will take any good news that I can get! Jamie was right, we weren't really interested in the AFP for the Down Syndrome or Spina Bifida risk but since we could get some possible info about the placenta, we went ahead and did it. I don't think I really worded that well in my first post! Mason was so IUGR and had almost absent blood flow at delivery so even though it's not a guarantee of great placenta function, it still makes me feel a little better until we can get another look at this munchkin on ultrasound :) Thank you again!!

angieb

Postby angieb » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:35 pm

Got it! :)

I'm really glad that your AFP results were normal! While it's not a guarantee, it's definitely a step in the right direction.

love_the_daschies

Postby love_the_daschies » Wed Dec 23, 2009 08:21 pm

right - my dr.'s office doesn't even offer the AFP - mostly because ultrasounds detect most problems with spina bifida and anencephaly.

They do not need to do bloodwork for anencephaly - that is just another reason the AFP could come back high. If spina bifida or anencephaly is NOT present - it can indicate a placental problem.

I think Julie meant she had the complete screen done, got her assessment for Down Syndrome and Spina Bifida , but ONLY did the test to see if her AFP values are normal NOT for the down syndrome assessment, as opposed to having them only screen for placental issues.

angieb

Postby angieb » Wed Dec 23, 2009 05:16 pm

They can't really do the test *only* for placenta problems. From what I understand, if the AFP levels are lower than normal, that's an elevated risk for down's. If the AFP levels are higher than normal, that's an elevated risk for open spina bifida. (They shouldn't need to do bloodwork at all for anencephaly- that should show up very obviously on an ultrasound.)

When my AFP levels were high and the baby obviously did not have open spina bifida, that was when they said it might be a placenta or growth issue. It turns out for us it was.

love_the_daschies

Postby love_the_daschies » Wed Dec 23, 2009 03:39 pm

From my understanding, high AFP levels are an indication of spina bifida or anencephaly. If it turns out the baby does not have signs of these disorders - but high AFP levels, it can indicate placenta problems.

My MFM said it can go either way, normal test still get PE or abnormal test and not get PE, but I would be feeling pretty happy with a normal result :)

Here is an older thread that I think talks about it a bit:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... hTerms=AFP,

julieb

AFP questions

Postby julieb » Wed Dec 23, 2009 02:17 pm

I had blood drawn for the AFP test last week and it is my understanding that the AFP can help diagnose placental problems, am I right about this?? I was 18 weeks when it was drawn and DH and I did not want it drawn for any reason other than to see if I am at risk for placental issues. I got a call today that my levels were normal and I have heard that high levels can mean problems with the placenta, is that right?? I see my MFM in 2 weeks so I will ask more questions then but in the meantime I wanted to see if anyone knew more about it than I do :) I did not have it drawn with DS because I wasn't having problems yet and we didn't want to have it drawn to screen for any other problems so I have no idea what my AFP would have been with him, although now I wish I had it for comparison to this pregnancy. Thanks for any insight!!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”