need help understanding my wifes passing

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : need help understanding my wifes passing

Postby caryn » Sun Jan 17, 2010 09:22 pm

I'm so sorry. This disease is brutal and sneaky and horribly, horribly fast.

Preeclampsia can appear within the first six weeks postpartum and does frequently cause headache, swelling, seizure, and stroke. Sometimes it causes liver damage before elevations in blood pressure appear. Was her blood pressure taken when she was admitted to the hospital? (ETA: I'm sorry, I meant *discharged*, after she delivered and before she was readmitted?) Did they run bloodwork?

Again, I am so sorry.

blythe

Postby blythe » Sun Jan 17, 2010 09:21 pm

I am so very sorry to hear about your loss, and to know that your beautiful babies will grow up without their mother.

198/100 is very high bp. It is possible to have post-partum preeclampsia or eclampsia up to 6 weeks post-partum. We aren't doctors or even medically trained so there is no way for any of us to say for sure, but pp eclampsia seems possible. Preeclampsia is diagnosed with two readings of bp 140/90 or higher taken at least six hours apart, and 300 mg protein in a 24-hour urine collection. BPs over 160/100 can be part of the criteria for "severe" preeclampsia.

I searched on pubmed (a database of medical journal articles) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bookshelf/b ... pubmedhelp and searched for terms: eclampsia post-partum. You could try the same search and see if the articles relate similarities or differences to your wife's experience. The general themes I kept seeing in these articles is that post-partum eclampsia isn't always preceded by typical pre-eclampsia symptoms, and is sometimes difficult to distinguish from other causes.

Many of our members have requested their records and consulted other doctors to get answers about what happened with their disease and treatment. I would hope that could be an option for your also.

My heart goes out to you and your babies and to everyone who loved and knew your wife.

leeann34

Postby leeann34 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 09:14 pm

I am so very sorry for your loss. I wish I could say something that would make your pain and sorrow disappear. Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

My first question would be why did it take them so long to see her in the ER? A BP of 198/100 is very very high and she had just had a baby. It seems that preeclampsia would have been the one thing they would have be thinking about whether she had it or not in the hospital. Preeclampsia can occur before or after the birth of the baby.

I was 2-3 wks postpardom and started having weakness on the left side of my body. I immediately went to the ER and they did a CT scan right away. I waited maybe 10-15 min. I don't know what your wifes condition was on arrival and she may have been stable but when it's a hemorrhage it can occur very quickly with little warning. Your wife complained of the worst headache she had ever had and I am assuming she told the doctors that when she arrived in the ER or that her sister did. I am really surprised that they waited over an hour to see her. I would definately go to the doctor(s) who treated her. I think then you will get the answers you may be looking for.

stephcamp725

Postby stephcamp725 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 04:36 pm

I'm so very sorry for your loss. :(

mellybute

Postby mellybute » Sun Jan 17, 2010 04:17 pm

I am so sorry for your loss of your wife. I see the page on facebook. Your daughters are precious. It is hard for me to say what may have caused your wife's passing because I am not a doctor. Is it possible she had post partum pre-eclampsia? I saw this only because in my case, I did not have high blood pressure, protein in my urine, etc. until after delivery. I was released 5 days after my c-section and then felt really terrible at home with a severe headache and went to the ER whereupon I was readmitted for 4 days in ICU to stabilize my blood pressure, etc. I had all the classic symptoms after delivery. The doctors told me that I could have easily stroked or seized with the pressures I had along with the hypereflexia, etc.

I am truly sorry for your loss. I hope you get some answers and understanding. I am praying for you and your precious little girls.

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Sun Jan 17, 2010 03:41 pm

I am so, so very sorry for your loss.

rvstar

need help understanding my wifes passing

Postby rvstar » Sun Jan 17, 2010 02:10 pm

My wife was 35 with a history of migrains. She had never had problems with either her first pregancy, most recent or delivery of either. Her blood pressure was always low, even when admitted. Once she was discharged and at home we both noticed swelling in her face and thought it was due to retained water or from all of the fluids that had been administered in the hospital. She had a migraine 5 days after delivery but it went away as they normally do.

7 days after delivery, my wife had the worst headache she had ever had in a different place than normal. It was located on the top of her head. Her twin sister rushed her to the ER and upon admittance she had a blood pressure reading of 198 over 100. After 1.5 hrs of waiting for a Doctor to come into her room she began seizing, stroked and suffered a massive brain hemorhage. She passed away 2 days later. My wonderful wife never had preeclampsia or eclampsia. Her OB said that she never showed signs of it when called from the ER by her twin.

Can anyone help? By the time she was taken to CT she had already suffered the massive hemorhage and there was no way to detect what was underneath the massive amount of blood that had began to show on the surface of her brain. We are absolutely devistated and are looking for answers. Please help if you can. Even if you have an idea, suggestion, similar story....anything please. Thank you and God Bless!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”