Any suggestions for dealing with these symptoms?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jamilyn

Re : Any suggestions for dealing with these symptoms?

Postby jamilyn » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:05 am

I hope you have gone back into your OB. PIH like stated before is def still dangerous. Plus PE can change at any moment. I had trace protein one day and that night started a 24 hour urine when admitted in the hospital and it came back at over 3000. Since you are at 35 weeks I dont see why your OB isn't running a weekly 24 hour urine and def taking your BP more seriously.
Best of Luck

love_the_daschies

Postby love_the_daschies » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:21 pm

Well yes, you do need urine protein of greater than 300mg to have PE - but PIH is JUST as dangerous. The problem is how high the pressures go. So I second everyone else- get checked out when in doubt.

You will be taken seriously - and the baby will be monitored to make sure baby is tolerating the BPs well. Are you doing kick counts to make sure you are not having decreases in activity? You are too close to the end to drop your gaurd now - keep up the vigilance and good work!

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Sun Feb 14, 2010 07:29 pm

Just because you do not have elevated urine does not mean that you do not have PE or the starting of it. (Although with BPs that high I woudl be suprised if your PE was just starting.) Either way with BPs that high I would imagine you should be on some sort of high bp meds?

I really would suggest that you go to L&D and get checked out and demand to see a MFM (Maternal Fetal Medicine) It cant hurt anything!

Please keep us updated!

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Sun Feb 14, 2010 06:32 pm

I agree with Trish....but may I also suggest that if you go to L&D to get checked out cause you are feeling off and your BP is concerning you, you may find a new and better OB. That would be my suggestion. I didn't find a good OB who knew what they were doing til it was too late. So do go to the L&D and get checked out and HOPEFULLY you may find a new and better OB.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sun Feb 14, 2010 06:16 pm

With BP's like you been having & feeling "unwell" you have every right to be concerned. I agree that it doesn't seem like he's watching you closely. When I had "just" high BP in my 2nd pregnancy I still had NST's & u/s to make sure all was well with baby. Is there another Dr. you can see?

If are still feeling unwell & have BP's even close to 160/100 (much less higher than that!!) I'd just go straight to L&D & get checked out. Hopefully you'll get someone who takes your symptoms seriously. (((HUGS)))

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Sun Feb 14, 2010 04:57 pm

Wow I thought your dr would be a little more on the cautious side! Do you know what your platelets were adn Hemats? Those are also indicators of HELLP. Can you talk to your dr and stress your concerns to him? Did you have pre-e or PIH in your previous pregnancies? Can you call around and fine a dr that wil lbe a step ahead of you?

stephcamp725

Postby stephcamp725 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 04:29 pm

I had an ultrasound about 5 weeks ago when my bp first started going up (Not because of the bp, but because of the random ailments I was complaining of I think he just wanted to do SOMETHING to shut me up) At that point, he said that everything looked fine with the baby so that is/was great news. But my bp has continued to rise so much over the last few weeks, it has left me concerned.

I have not had any NST's with this pregnancy, but had them twice weekly with my other pregnancy's (different doctor) while my bp was fine in those prengnacy's, my children were very small and both came about 3 weeks early...

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Sun Feb 14, 2010 04:18 pm

Wow, that's really disconcerting that he isn't taking your BPs seriously! PIH can be just as serious as preeclampsia. Have you been having NSTs and/or ultrasounds to check how baby is handling the (very high!) blood pressure?

stephcamp725

Postby stephcamp725 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 03:44 pm

Ugh, we just recently moved and have not had an internet connection for the last couple of weeks. I thought for sure I had posted an update before the move, but apparently not! I am so sorry for just leaving everyone hanging there!

To sum up what has been going on, I am still feeling generally "unwell", and my bp continues to rise. At my appt. last Friday it was 148/99, but has gone higher than that at home, which I have called in about, particularly the diastolic rising near 110 for short periods of time, and the systolic going over 160. My doctor conceeds that it is high, but since my 24 hour urine 2 weeks ago came back okay, he is not concerned.

Which brings me to the labs that I did have demand be done. The 24 hour urine a couple of weeks ago was not above 300, it was only 185 I believe, so he said "you are no where near in danger", and my liver levels were fine he said. The only other elevation was my creatinine was .8, but he said "We don't get scared until it is at 1". So I have just been continuing to monitor my own bp, however, he said that there isn't a "magic number" in which I should alert them, just if I start seeing spots or have chest pain should I alert them and go to L&D.

I have asked about repeating the tests since it has been a couple of weeks, and my bp's continue to rise, but he says there is no point, he will just continue to "watch me closely". (I don't really feel like he is...)

Anyhow, I agree that my labs did not fall into "pre eclampsia" range, but I am still concerned about the rising bp by itself. Just trying to take it easy for now. I am 35 weeks so not much longer.

Thank you all so much for your concern and I again am so sorry for delayed update!

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:52 am

I hope that you're getting checked out. We are all so worried about you. Please let us know how you are if you can. One suggestion that I could make would be if the doctor will not order blood work to say that you want this documented in your chart and indicate that if anything happens that you will be pointing back to the fact that bloodwork was refused. Like Fiona said, it's time to just throw civility out the door.

Please let us know how you are doing.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”