Preeclampsia or just hypertension?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
duhitstaken

Re : Preeclampsia or just hypertension?

Postby duhitstaken » Wed Feb 03, 2010 03:59 pm

I was just wondering how things are going with you and if you got your 24-hours urine back...thanks

hillary8l8

Postby hillary8l8 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 03:36 pm

I don't have much advice to offer, but I did want to say hello and that I'm a respiratory therapist too! I'm 30 weeks, and take Labetalol 200 mg 2 times a day as well. I've been on bedrest for a week, and I have also noticed my symptoms improving. I'm lucky that my OB is very proactive, and I have had 2 24 hour urines already, but am still considered PIH because I don't meet the diagnostic criteria for protein. I'm glad that your Dr finally ordered the 24 hour urine. I hope things go well for you.

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Tue Feb 02, 2010 05:59 pm

160/110 is extremely high blood pressure, especially on meds. Even if you have no protein whatsoever, your blood pressure is high enough to be considered severe PIH. You're 36 weeks now, correct?

Have you talked to your doctor about what his plan is? As in, if you stay stable, when will you deliver; what blood pressures you are supposed to go to the hospital at (if not 160/110!), etc.

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Tue Feb 02, 2010 05:54 pm

technically the difference between PE and PIH (pregnancy induced hypertension, which is another term that is used for hypertension that papers after 20 weeks) is less then 300mg of protein in the urine.

It can still make you very sick, it can still kill, it just means your kidneys are functioning very well. I technically only had PIH most of the time (my doc said I had kidneys of steel) and yet I was very very sick.

1sttimer

Postby 1sttimer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 02:53 pm

Well he finally ordered the 24 hour urine and we drew blood yesterday to check for PIH because my vision went blurry for about 20 minutes yesterday. He increased the labatalol to 200 mg morning and night, from 100mg three times a day. Last night about 3 hours after I took my medicine my blood pressure was 160/110. This is the highest it has ever been. Today I have stayed in the bed and it seems like the medicine is keeping it low. I take my urine in tomorrow and they should have my blood work back. I'll let you know more then.

My doctor said that he thinks the vision disturbances are just from my blood pressure dropping, but he still increased the medicine, this didn't make any sense to me, you? Also he is dead set that I do not have preeclampsia I suppose because I've just been showing trace amounts of protien, but he says I have gestational hypertension. Everything that I have read online tells me that the two are pretty much the same thing, with the same dangers. Before I was pregnant my blood pressure was always perfect. I am a very healthy 25 year old.

Please any new advice would be appriciated!

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:16 am

I will never understand why so many doctors refuse to order the 24-hour. It's not like they have to pee in the jug or pay for the test. I dipped trace and even negative towards the end of my last pregnancy and still diagnostic for preeclampsia with 383mg of protein. It wasn't a lot, but it was diagnostic and worth knowing about.

jmom08

Postby jmom08 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 08:52 am

Others are more experienced than I am, but I just wanted to add that I think I remember my OB doing a 24 urine as soon as my BP started to go up last time, and another 24 hour urine as soon as my dip showed protein (I know I had at least two 24hrs before I delivered). Both my current and old OBs seem to rely on MFMs to assess the pregnancy & give advice re: PE (last time having, this time preventing given my clotting disorder), and I know that I would definitely want to be seeing my MFM if my BP starts going up again this time. Even if it's a long drive! ((hugs))

halfreadyforthis

Postby halfreadyforthis » Fri Jan 22, 2010 08:26 am

Have you had any pain other than the headaches?

1sttimer

Postby 1sttimer » Thu Jan 21, 2010 06:21 am

Well we did the NST and everything on it came back fine. I asked him if I could do the 24 hour unrine and he said no because there isn't enough protien in my urine with the dip test only trace amounts. Since my symptoms have gotten better since I've been resting alot I guess I will just keep a close eye on everything and if anything changes with them then I will be going to L&D every day if I have to stay checked up on. There is a lab group in town and I might be able to have the 24-hour done on my own at my own expense. Do you think I need to do this now or wait like my doctor says until more protien shows up on the dip test? What can happen if I don't get diagnosed until late?

He said we are going to be doing the NST weekely from here on out.

love_the_daschies

Postby love_the_daschies » Wed Jan 20, 2010 04:03 pm

I wanted to let you know that the 24 hour urines are the way to go! Dipsticks have been unreliable for me ( probably because I drink SO MUCH!!!). My first pregnancy I was always negative, dipped +2 once, went to the hospital and dipped trace once and negative for the next 2 days when I was doing a 24-hour urine and it came back at 650mg (not horribly high - but diagnostic anyway). This pregnancy I have always dipped trace and hover about 250 mgs on my 24 hour urines.

Some doctors say 10 kicks over 2 hours is normal - but I like going by the 10 kicks an hour.

In my experience - resting can really lessen the symptoms for me. It helps with swelling, BP and random headaches and what not. However, it doesn't really reverse the PE - it just helps some of the symptoms - you know?

Keep resting and congrats on being so far! Hope your appt went well!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”