Risk of PE in subsequent pregnancies?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
deerhart

Re : Risk of PE in subsequent pregnancies?

Postby deerhart » Tue Feb 02, 2010 05:57 pm

there are a lot of factors in the risk of whether or not you will have PE again in another pregnancy. Some of these things include any underlying disorders you have, how severe your PE was the first time, how early PE reared its head etc..

The rule of thumb for a long time has been the earlier and more severe the higher your risk. My pregnancies were about 22 months apart and while my second bout wasn't as severe, I was still dx at 30 weeks (24 wks the first time). But I do have an underlying disorder that increases my risks significantly.

jess1976

Postby jess1976 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:28 am

wow, that is good to know. My husband and I are considering adding to our family, probably after the summer so our girls will be just over 1. However, we do run the risk of multiples again because we need "help" to concieve.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:52 am

I was told that this is the case and its best to get pregnant within the 2 years span. My doc told me to wait at least 6 months

blythe

Postby blythe » Tue Feb 02, 2010 08:57 am

If I'm understanding right, it has something to do with the blood vessels (spiral arteries?) in the uterus already being "stretched out" - kind of like stretched panty-hose. So the new placenta can embed better. When there's more time between pregnancies, the vessels have shrunk back to their original size, and you're back where you started.

jess1976

Postby jess1976 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 08:28 am

Great question, I can't wait to hear what the other think!

glimmer

Risk of PE in subsequent pregnancies?

Postby glimmer » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:17 pm

So, I understand that the risk of pre-eclampsia in subsequent pregnancies is smaller, especially if they are closely spaced.
Could someone explain me what's the theory behind this? Just curious...
Something about implantation being "easier"? Thank you.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”