"Preventing" PIH through exercise?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
amypete

Re : "Preventing" PIH through exercise?

Postby amypete » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:47 pm

I know this doesn't really help at all, but when I lived in Michigan I participated briefly in a study where women with previous instances of pre-e or PIH were put on an exercise regimen during their current pregnancies. The groups were no exercise, sets of stretches, and walking. The study was going on in 2007, and was near the end of subjects when I joined, so maybe the results will be out soon. As for me, I only really exercised my 5th pregnancy (3rd child). I ran until 26 weeks, when I got put on moderate bedrest with high BP. But that pregnancy stayed with mild pre-e symptoms and didn't go to a severe level.

jmom08

Postby jmom08 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 04:35 pm

quote:Originally posted by jules2

I'd need to sit down and read them all, which I haven't had time to as yet. Same here, I just read the abstracts (& I probably wouldn't understand 75% of what's in the text!).

I was also wondering whether ACOG or another organization should periodically review the research and come up with a position that we all can rely on? It seems like they do come out with statements on some issues (flu shots), and I know the AAP has a bunch of recommendations on kids' health. I know nothing about how medical organizations approach PE research -- I wonder if the research on some issues isn't clear enough, or if they just don't pay enough attention to PE? Would this be a topic where it would be helpful for me to write letters? :)

jules2

Postby jules2 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 03:30 am

I'd need to sit down and read them all, which I haven't had time to as yet. It was the dose response effect in the newer study which made me consider taking it seriously, otherwise I would just ignore one cohort study.

There are some trials too but they are small and not all that convincing.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Feb 04, 2010 07:58 pm

Searching Experts turned this up: In terms of exercise, recent data published by Sorenson et al, 2003 & Yeo et al, 2001 do seem to indicate that regular exercise, especially done prior to pregnancy up to the 1st 20wks of gestation, does result in a lower risk for devleopment of preeclampsia (in Sorenson's study, up to a 35% reduction in risk).

So maybe that's the source for your nurse's info, too. But of course this is an older study, contradicted by the newer epidemiology, so... you'd have to ask which one to take more seriously, unless you were an epidemiologist. :)

jmom08

Postby jmom08 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 07:50 pm

Jules, that is a great idea to use ask the expert!
mother bear, I have the same definition of sitting on my butt, except with just one toddler/preschooler. :)

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Thu Feb 04, 2010 01:08 pm

Wow resting heart rate of 39! Mine is in the high 80's low 90's all the time!

mother bear

Postby mother bear » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:23 am

Anecdotally, I'm the one who rode my bike from Seattle to Portland in one day while pregnant, and continued to go on "short" 25 mile bike rides almost every week, including the day before my PE delivery (If I'd known I had such high blood pressure...). This last pregnancy, I sat on my butt most of the time, first because of the morning sickness, then because I was hypothyroid with absolutely no energy, then because it was third trimester and it was too uncomfortable to do much, and my BP was lowest yet at the end.

Of course, my definition of sitting on my butt includes wrangling two toddlers around the local zoo every so often...

jules2

Postby jules2 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:20 am

Hi Erin,

That's possible maybe, but not really proven I don't think. That is the whole problem - I'm not sure there is not enough evidence to know what types or intensity of exercise to recommend to different women. Should women with PE histories be told to stop running during any subsequent pregnancy ? .. I would really like to know this, can I use the ask an expert or something???

I am still very fit and have resting heart rate of 39! but not unfortuantely the low blood pressure, I'm around 125/77 generally.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:26 am

ERIN this is a GREAT way to explain it! It should be a sticky note somewhere!!

In my next pregnancy I decided after reading all of this that I will walk for the first 4 months...but thats it then I will give myself a rest. I am a very active person and was in the best shape of my life before I got pregnant had a personal trainer...the whole 9 yards! Worked out for the first 3 months and still got PE and HELLP...so like you said I think its better to look at what TYPE of workouts one is doin...I do believe that walking in the beginning of pregnancy should be ok!

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:16 am

The thing with exercise is that 1) your going to be in better shape then without exercise, 2) it can help increase things like oxygen flow etc in your body 3) it releases "good" endorphins and such which will all have a positive effect especially on your blood pressure in the long run. The better shape your in usually means less weight, heart in better shape, and thus lower BP (in my athletic days my resting heart rate was 50 and my bp was 110/60)

But exercising also has a lot of downsides especially while your pregnant
1) it greatly increases your heart rate 2) it can dehydrate you easily 3) it causes stress on your muscles and during exercise it can lower oxygen

So the longer you exercise (and thus the longer you sustain a higher heart rate, the more of that higher blood volume your pumping around in a pregnancy. For those of us with blood clotting disorders, this is the perfect chance for a clot to form (think of trying to force too much water through a hose) Also your body temp will rise some from exercise, which will also increase your blood pressure.

A BETTER question to look at with these studies is the TYPE of exercise they are doing, the max heart rates obtained, and the length of time. A person walking and reaching a max heart rate of 110-120 for 40 minutes logically shouldn't have the same effect as someone running, reaching a max heart rate of 140-150 for 40 minutes.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”