Help with a school project

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
beiram

Re : Help with a school project

Postby beiram » Tue Feb 16, 2010 01:15 pm

I delivered at 25 weeks. Exclusively pumped for 10 months (milk supply was great!). I tried to breastfeed but he was too weak to latch on, so zero amount of time breastfeeding.

veronica44

Postby veronica44 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:33 am

I think it may be a good idea to include people who delivered before 40 weeks due to induction for PE. I delivered at 38 weeks and had a lot of breastfeeding issues. B/F and pumped for 2.5 months while supplementing heavily with formula, then supply dried up altogether. Here is an interesting article on what can happen to breasfeeding babies born just a tad early:
http://www.breastfeeding.org/newsletter/v4i1/page1.html
I think if a mother has an infant in the NICU, she may be given a lot of support for initiating pumping right away with a hospital grade pump and told how to do this by the nurses. I didn't even know this was an option, and having to have someone drive me to an LC at the beginning was difficult to schedule. I was nursing my daughter every 2 hours, but I suspect she had a weak suckling reflex and due to this my supply never got established (breasts never felt empty after nursing her).

brooklynsmom

Postby brooklynsmom » Tue Feb 16, 2010 08:50 am

Delivered #1 @ 34 weeks...pumped/worked on latch for 12/14 weeks before she would get her full feeding from breast...pumped/breast fed until she was 10 months and bit me good!;)

lilysmommymindy

Postby lilysmommymindy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:20 am

I delivered at 36 wks...exclusively pumped for 12 wks and finally got a latch! Continued bfing until DD was 14 months!

patty

Postby patty » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:17 am

Thanks to everybody who responded. I will be collecting data until Monday if anyone else wants to respond. I would really like to hear from those who delivered micropreemies before 30 weeks or so.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Feb 12, 2010 05:26 pm

DS born at 34 weeks. I pumped for the first week, transitioned to full-time breastfeeding at 35 weeks. I didn't let down for the pump at all, but he gained well on breastfeeding alone so we knew he was getting plenty of milk.

Started adding in solids at around 7-8 months but kept nursing after that for *cough* years. Years and years.

sarab
Site Admin

Postby sarab » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:56 am

#1 - born at 29 weeks, pumped for about 12 weeks or so.

#2 - born at 32 weeks, pumped for 14 weeks or so.

Both had be supplemented with extra calorie formula mixed with breast milk every other feeding in the NICU and for a few months after coming home, and they never really got the hang of latching on. In both cases, my supply dropped off dramatically around 12 weeks PP. With number 2 I tried harder to build it back up (pumping extra, drinking lots of water, fenugreek, etc), but gave up after about two weeks.

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 08:50 am

Delivered at 33 weeks, pumped and breastfed exclusively for 7 weeks (with the minor exception of them needing to give a tiny bit of formula in the early days while baby in the NICU--after the first few days I was able to breastfeed and pump so that he had all breastmilk). After 7 weeks, he went to daycare, so I still breastfed and pumped, but had to supplement with formula due to going back to work. Stopped breastfeeding and pumping altogether at 3 months.

My stopping breastfeeding had nothing to do with his gestational age, but more about returning to work. My personal thoughts are that delivering early doesn't impact it that much because most of the parents I saw in the NICU breastfed or pumped, and many did not supplement with formula unless they absolutely had to.

stacey0411

Postby stacey0411 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 00:48 am

32 wks--Exclusively pumped breastmilk for 13 mths. Never supplemented formula. Did latch on at 12 wks/once daily for naptime for next 10 mths.

myangel

Postby myangel » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:17 pm

Hello;
I gave birth at 34 weeks and breast fed and supplemented with formula for 4 months...tried medication but it didn't work...I wasn't able to produce enough... :(

Return to “Ask the Experienced”