Heading to hospital now

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mellybute

Re : Heading to hospital now

Postby mellybute » Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 am

Glad to hear induction is upon you!! I also just read back through the last few posts and wanted to tell you that what you describe as glitter being thrown up and sparkling is EXACTLY what I had. Great way to describe it and I know exactly what you mean.

I am praying for you and your little one and I hope you're feeling okay. Hang in there Mama!

brandib

Postby brandib » Wed May 05, 2010 10:23 pm

Hard to really answer this question AJPratt. They are still "going"
for sure :0) I have daily headaches sometimes so bad all I can say is " my head my head my head my head my head etc." My Bps are very high but my protein hasn't gone over 250 and I'll be induced in one week! I'm gonna make it! LOL

mom29

Postby mom29 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 05:38 pm

Katznkt, The other symptoms (nosebleeds, vomiting, constant headaches) are why they referred her to a neurologist for and MRI and CT. Brandi mentioned that the head MFM at this hospital was consulted at her most recent appointment and that her doctor is waiting to "pull the trigger" on this pregnancy. I am encouraged the head MFM was consulted.

I know all of us are very concerned for Brandi. Perhaps it would be more helpful to Brandi if we can suggest ways for her to phrase some of her questions and concerns. For example when the doctor (?) said the next visit would be in to weeks saying "I'm not going to continue being seen weekly?" might make that person remember she was being seen weekly or explain why they wanted to change that. When the fellow consults with a MFM Brandi saying "I had HELLP in my last pregnancy. What can be done to prevent that happening again?" will give the consulting MFM helpful information. Whenever Brandi sees someone new (L&D nurse, resident, consulting MFM doctor) saying "I had preeclampsia and HELLP in my previous pregnancies. I was already admitted once for mag. when my bp hit 178/100+ during this pregnancy" will give anyone who doesn't know her history a heads up.

Brandi,I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I just know how I tend to be quiet at doctor's appointments and think of my questions later. I also remember how hard it is to be an advocate for myself! In between your appointments if your bp goes up but isn't quite your call in number, you could call and ask if they want you to increase your labetalol. Also, maybe your doctor could call your pcp and get the neuro. referral approved quickly so you can get the scans done soon.

Hang in there, pretty soon you will be snuggling your little one in your arms.

katznkt

Postby katznkt » Sat Apr 10, 2010 03:33 pm

I don't really care that I am not a doctor. BP that high, puking your guts up, constant nosebleeds (when they weren't there before) and mindblowing constant headaches are NOT normal. And she should be monitored more than once every two weeks. Again, just my opinion. But geez... what do they want her to do, have a stroke before they pay attention to her???

kellikbock

Postby kellikbock » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:05 am

Brandi, just popping in to say that I'm continuing to pray for you and your baby. Apparently you're also having issues with your insurance, as well & that is just adding to your stress, and it seems to be adding hurdles on your path to proper care. I'm sorry. Hoping that your symptoms dissipate or that your protein increases for delivery....whichever is the safest for you and the baby!

ladybug76135

Postby ladybug76135 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 07:45 pm

Brandi,
Vomiting is a sign of increased intracranial pressure. I'm an ICU RN and we monitor for it in head injuries, strokes, etc.

I'm really worried about you. I wish they would just put you in and monitor you for a while.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:59 am

I agree with you Alexa. Its scary for a lot of us here to see her symptoms. Brandi's symptoms are a mirror to mine. I was dismissed by doctors, and well I dont have to really tell anyone my outcome.

All of us here are not doctors, but most of us here experienced what Brandi is going through, so we feel her pain. A lot of women on here unfortunately have to struggle for good care and thats not how it should be...but it is.

All she can do is put her trust in her doctors and go to L&D is need be and hope for the best!

Keep truckin Brandi!

sarab
Site Admin

Postby sarab » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:57 am

Alexa, I agree. There is nothing worse than feeling like your doctor is not listening or taking you seriously. I did just want to gently remind everyone that we don't have all of the information her docs have, and all of our situations are different. It is a balancing act for us as posters and supporters as well.

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:37 am

Sara, I do agree with what you are saying, but I think the reason so many of us are surprised is because some of us were delivered for much less than what she has gone through, or we were at least closely monitored for much less. Brandi has had to work very hard to get the care she has received so far, and to make it worse, most of the time it seems they are not really listening to her. For example, at one time they were convinced her headaches were migraines, even though she explained her history over and over-- I think she said at one point that once they received her old medical records, they finally determined they weren't migraines.

So, I guess it just feels like she has been on a roller coaster ride that could have been avoided with more compassionate care. I think we all understand that docs don't want to deliver early if they don't have to, but in her case just getting the monitoring has been a struggle. There is also the part that they are so reliant on protein, when she has some other strong symptoms-- in many of our cases, our doctors did not require us to be at 300 protein to be taken seriously.

All of this said to say I realize all of our situations are different, but I do think that we all at least wish she had received more attention throughout her ordeal.

sarab
Site Admin

Postby sarab » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:08 am

Oh, Brandi, I know that is not what you wanted to hear.

We tend to get worried with those really high BP numbers you've been reporting, and I fear that many of us have contributed to a "deliver now!" frenzy, which has added a lot of emotion to this thread. I do want to remind you and other posters that we are not doctors, nor do we have all of the information in your situation.

The good news is: you don't have preeclampsia yet! Obviously there is *something* going on with the pressures and the visual disturbances, be it migraines or whatever - I don't want to even speculate. It is such a delicate balancing act these doctors have to perform: at what point is it safer out than in for baby? I know how badly you want to deliver so your misery will end, but it sounds like your docs are convinced your body is still a much better place for your baby to be than an isolette in the NICU. Not what you were hoping for, but good news for your little one.

Do keep watching for any other symptoms; preeclampsia could still be just around the corner. It doesn't seem like it now, but before you know it you'll be off this roller coaster and snuggling your little one.

Hugs to you, Brandi.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”