Heading to hospital now

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re : Heading to hospital now

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:41 pm

I'm hoping and praying that you've gone to another hospital tonight. And I agree with Kelly - take your husband along (or someone else). You need someone on your side, and you shouldn't be driving yourself anyway.

I can completely understand if you feel like giving up. You've been disregarded so many times, it's got to get harder and harder to keep coming back and asking for help. I'm sure your trust in doctors and hospitals is pretty low at this point. But please please please keep seeking out help. You are not in a situation where you can or should care for yourself at home. There must be a doctor out there willing to take your symptoms seriously and do a careful evaluation. It is well worth a long drive (with someone else driving) to get to a good hospital tonight. Heck, even if it was three hours... spending those three hours in complete misery at home isn't getting you any closer to having answers or the care you need. Just be sure to have a cell phone, in case you get into a emergency situation before arriving at the hospital.

If you get sent home again, you can go in every single day if you need to from now until you deliver your baby. They may think you are a "nuisance" at L & D -- but who cares? This is about you and your baby. The stakes are far too high to worry about whether some random nurses "like" you or not. Hey, if you really * everyone off maybe they will finally just admit you for monitoring (which is what they should have been doing anyway!)

And, you know what? God will forgive you if you need to fib a little to get the care you require. It's OK to refuse to lay down. You can say it causes reflux or discomfort and that you really need to remain semi-upright.

By the way...Is your baby moving OK? Not that you don't already have enough that you are worrying about right now - but if your baby doesn't move at least 10 times in a an hour, that also warrants a trip to L & D.

Praying and praying for you!!! (((HUGS)))

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:41 pm

Brandi...I didn't want to alarm you but when you said you were taking Imitrex, I looked at my husband and told him and he was like OH C***! I took that stuff when I was pregnant and didn't know it and had a m/c at 8 weeks. I would not advise you to take it especially if it is not helping. If I was in your shoes, I would go back to the hospital and DEMAND better care and tell them what is going on with you and that you want something done. Tell them about pre-e and all. Take the bull by the horns! Don't let them pass you off as having a normal pregnancy!

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:30 pm

I am speechless. This is just unbelievable. Please try to find another hospital and insist on getting help. Your symptoms just sound so alarming to me.

Thinking of you.

twinstwiceover

Postby twinstwiceover » Tue Mar 30, 2010 09:43 pm

I am completely and utterly at a loss as to how the hospital and staff can be so dismissive. Are those higher blood pressures ones that you are getting while sitting up? Does your blood pressure go down when you are laying down? And are your truly on bedrest with the kids at home or do you need to be on hospital bedrest? Can you request hospital bedrest?

kellikbock

Postby kellikbock » Tue Mar 30, 2010 09:38 pm

I'm obviously going to agree with everyone else. Be your advocate! Go somewhere else to get treated & demand help...that's their job that you pay for! I'm sorry that this sucks so much...get some help! Still praying, girl...

kellyo19

Postby kellyo19 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 09:24 pm

I'm speechless. I can NOT believe they sent you home with that pain and not looking into the bleeding... and your high BPs are concerning along with the vision symptoms. I had the vision symptoms and I was told that those are "classic for PE" but luckily I was delivered shortly after so I didn't actually get lab results for PE diagnosis. PLEASE don't take a risk, go to another hospital with a NICU and demand to see an MFM. Take your husband or a sister or a family friend that can advocate for you. Its unfortuneate but when I dragged my husband with, I got more attn. I would also tell the nurses that you have to semi-recline (put a pillow under right hip) due to severe reflux coming into your mouth or your nose. (I've had that happen, and when I told the nurse I got some sympathy and they allowed me to semi-recline and I got #s comparable to when I was sitting up.) But insist on getting seen by an MFM, not a resident. Your symptoms are very concerning. You could be putting your baby and yourself at risk. If you don't think you're getting the attn you need (and you need it!) then demand to speak to the dept head or patient care advocate...

tree
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Tue Mar 30, 2010 09:09 pm

I really wish that your story was unbelievable. That is truly horrible. They have left you without the emergency "go to L&D option" that so many of us take for granted. I hope you go back in and receive proper treatment, and you are in my thoughts and prayers no matter what you do.

ladybug76135

Postby ladybug76135 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 08:52 pm

Your BP is high enough to cause a stroke. You need to get to a hospital and be admitted. Is anyone with you that can go and speak to the docs on your behalf?

thirdtimesthecharm

Postby thirdtimesthecharm » Tue Mar 30, 2010 08:45 pm

Are there any large hospitals with level 3 or 4 NICUs near you? That's where I would go. The L&D staff there shouldhave experience with high-risk patients and know what to look out for. I would go at a time right before I'm supposed to take a dose of labetalol and tell them you can't lay on your left side because laying down makes you nauseated so you need to recline or sit up. Lots of prayers for you!

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Tue Mar 30, 2010 08:44 pm

Ok so...I would head to another hospital...NOW... There is no reason that you should have been released in that much pain! AHHH I have anxiety right now for you!

Im concerned that your BP was that after laying down for an hour. That makes me think what the heck is it when your up and around.

Bleeding from your ears is not normal. Now I am not a doctor, but TOO many doctors dismiss symptoms.

You do not have to be dipping protein to have PE...and not to mention you may not even have PE you may have something else!

please please PLEASE go to another hospital now to get looked at and again keep us posted!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”