Induction for PIH and insurance

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
missgamecock

Re : Induction for PIH and insurance

Postby missgamecock » Thu Apr 01, 2010 08:48 pm

I can tell you with Cate, my peri was not going to allow me to go past 37 weeks period even if nothing was wrong because of my past history.

milesymommy

Postby milesymommy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:03 am

I concur - its not a call for the insurance company. The doctors make the call and bill accordingly.
I had only PIH with my second. They waited until 39 weeks to induce - and some doctors wanted to wait until a full 40. PIH alone is not an issue to induce early for. One reason they agreed to induce was because my baby was a mover - he was normal, then turned breech at 38+5, and at exactly 39 weeks when I went in to attempt to turn him he was head down, and they did not want to risk him moving to breech again and the possibility of natural labor starting with him breech.
That said, if you have a history, ensure you're being closely monitored. I had PE/HELLP with DS1, so with DS2 I was in the doctors office 3 times a week after 33 weeks - twice for NSTs and once for regular OB appt.
And believe me, I sympathize with wanting it over with. You are concerned about the baby, both wanting him safe outside of you but also wanting him developed enough. And the last few weeks are anything but comfortable...

kellikbock

Postby kellikbock » Wed Mar 31, 2010 08:55 pm

I don't think that your insurance can control that. I believe, that if your doctor is calling for one...they pay for it. If you run into a problem, paperwork from your doctor can appeal the charge. I had an issue with a nutrition class I needed when I had GD...the doctor appealed the charge & it worked out!
I also know that inducing before 37 w/out cause (w/out PE or otherwise) isn't an option (in most places) because of the baby's developement & isn't considered full term until that 37 week. I hope that this all helps =0)

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Wed Mar 31, 2010 03:16 pm

It depends on what the hospital policy is for the hospital you are delivering at. If I have to deliver before 36 weeks, the MFM has to authorize it and specify the reason.

Let me be more clear. If the hospital you are delivering at says a f/t pregnancy is 37 weeks and that any woman needing induction prior to their 37th week will have to have consent of a MFM. The hospital I will be delivering at, one day, their policy is 36 weeks to the day. I've already called and checked and spoke with my OB about it :)

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:49 am

Insurance was never a consideration in my inductions. It was done and my insurance paid for it.

kimmiebee

Induction for PIH and insurance

Postby kimmiebee » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:33 am

Is PIH a reason for my insurance company to approve induction before 39 weeks? My bp has been very variable, some days its normal and then like for three days it will be in the 145/100 range. It seems like every time I go to the MFM my bp is almost normal, but my OB knows it has been high, which is why I'm on bedrest. My MFM recommends induction at 39 weeks, so I am praying that my OB doesn't take his advice. I am 36 weeks now and hoping he will at least approve 38 weeks, but I guess it all depends on insurance. How high does my bp have to be for insurance to approve an early induction? Is PIH without Pe even a reason to induce early?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”