Epilepsy/High Blood Pressure Seizures

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
chippery

Re : Epilepsy/High Blood Pressure Seizures

Postby chippery » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:27 am

Hmmm Interesting answer. The only thing, is that it didn't happen every time I woke up. However, this will definitely be something I watch out for when we TTC again.

Thank you for the quick reply! :)

caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Epilepsy/High Blood Pressure Seizures

Postby caryn » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:13 am

The seizures in eclampsia aren't driven by the same molecular mechanisms as the seizures in epilepsy, which is why they've quit using the standard anti-seizure drugs on us. They don't work. :) Pregnancy does lower the seizure threshold in people who have them outside of pregnancy, but not because of a connection with PE.

But the waking-up-with-smells thing is *fascinating*. It sounds like a form of synesthesia to me, and I am vaguely remembering reading something that talked about synesthesia in pregnant women. Synesthesia is when your brain links sensory experiences to abstract ideas -- like the number 8 is always orange. The hormones in pregnancy rewire the brain, probably because we have to learn a really hard new task in a few months and have to be better at juggling a newborn baby and everything else. I wonder if the rewiring/overwriting was triggering a kind of synesthesia for you? Waking up smells like smoke? :)

chippery

Epilepsy/High Blood Pressure Seizures

Postby chippery » Wed Apr 14, 2010 02:02 am

While I was pregnant with my second son (high blood pressure, but protein stopped right before the "Pre-E" mark) there were two or three occurrences when I would wake up in the middle of the night freaking out because I smelt smoke so strong that I thought the house was on fire. I didn't think much of it, except that it could just be hormones. This only happened while pregnant.

Recently, I had to do a sleep study, and mentioned these smells. The doctor started asking me questions to rule out Epilepsy, which he decided I didn't have. However, he did say this was very rare to smell things when waking, usually people visualize things. It didn't seem to matter that it was during a pregnancy to him.

I was just researching Epilepsy, and found this...

"Some factors increase the risk for a seizure in a person with epilepsy.

* Certain prescribed medications
* Emotional stress
* Illness, especially infection
* Lack of sleep
* Pregnancy
* Skipping doses of epilepsy medications
* Use of alcohol or other recreational drugs"

So now I'm linking the Pre-E seizures with epilepsy. I wish I would have taken a blood pressure when I woke up smelling smoke. I can't help but to wonder if maybe a high reading could have been present, and simulated a similar scenario as Eclampsia.

Thoughts?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”