8 months postpartum and still protein in urine

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
amanda
Forum Moderator

Re : 8 months postpartum and still protein in urine

Postby amanda » Thu Nov 03, 638929 7:21 am

The 24 hr test does contain a blood collection as part of it (as many of us know). The two components (urine values and blood results) allow for an overall assessment of kidney function. It is not unusual for PE to 'show' an underlying kidney condition post pregnancy. The real impact to your kidney's needs to be established against both of the components as there are many women who spill protein but have normal kidney function (for example I do...)

kiwi_susie

Postby kiwi_susie » Mon Oct 24, 638929 1:37 am

Hi, it took 2 years for mine to clear, but then it did perfectly. Just took time :)

mommy2maddie

Postby mommy2maddie » Sat Aug 27, 638929 1:35 am

I BELIEVE there is a blood test, a renal function blood test. There are other ways also, ultrasound, and biopsy but who knows, Im not a doctor! :)

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Fri Aug 26, 638929 11:10 am

I too had protein in my urine 6 mo PP...trace and sometimes 1+...what kidney tests can be done for underlying disorders? Is it a blood test?

mommy2maddie

Postby mommy2maddie » Thu Aug 25, 638929 6:58 pm

When I had my DD I had 15g of protein in my urine and had to follow-up with a nephrologist. He told me that if at 6 months if I still had a "not normal" amount of protein in my urine then we needed to start looking at my kidneys, do a biopsy and see if I had an underlying condition that caused me to get PE, or PE damaged them. Were you checked for any underlying kidney issues after your first pregnancy, did you get your urine checked after it as well? I also believe that MOST of the time the damage to your kidneys from PE reverses itself. I have heard of people spilling protein a year postpartum and their doctors arent concerned. I think my doctor was jumping the gun a little, but thankfully I did not have any protein in my urine at 6 months postpartum. Also did you ever do a 24 hour collection before you got pregnant the first time? If you had an abnormal amount then, you may also have an underlying condition which causes you to spill more than normal.

susheli

8 months postpartum and still protein in urine

Postby susheli » Thu Aug 25, 638929 1:27 pm

Hi!

I feel bad that I've been so absent since Helena's birth (we're doing well, except for my poor Helena's severe and ongoing reflux plus weight gain problems :-( ).

I had over 2g of protein at her birth (over 7g when my first ws bron) and now, a full EIGHT months postpartum, still have 300mg in my 24h collection. I haven't seen my dr yet, but am concerned that this means my kidneys are permanently damaged?

My bps are borderline, around 130/85-90; here in France they don't treat under 140/90, but we're moving to the US in the summer and I'm curious whether I'll be declared a chronic and put on meds there...

Thanks for any experience you can share re the ongoing PIU!
Sush

Return to “Ask the Experienced”