did something stupid...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
cosmogirl4056

Re : did something stupid...

Postby cosmogirl4056 » Sat May 08, 2010 06:39 pm

thank you so much....i keep telling myself that probably the further away i get from pregnancfy the better i am.....i am now a week pp and starting to feel better....i had high bp when i was pregnant and borderline pre eclampsia i would say and then AFTER i delivered my son...probably 12 hours later...my bp shot up to 160/100....by the time left they had readings 140's/90's......i am taking hctz now. i went to the dr yesterday and my bp was 140/90-100.....they were not worried. i just got scared cuz of what happened when i went to walgreens...ugh i think i should not have checked it then...io already had my reading what did it matter to get a second one 5 minutes later...if i was in the hospital they would wait at least 30 minutes before taking it again...i think the machine was not reading right or i put the cuff on wrong sumthing cuz i have not had a reading like thatexcept that one time....the last pregnancy i was not like this..i did not have health anxiety. i think that the health anxiety has made it much harder to deal with this time! i dont kno i hope everything is ok...i still freak out i still have a BIT of swelling but its only likeone spot on my foot....i get slight headaches and i freak out but theyare like allergy headaches...plus i have a new born and am getting 4 or 5 hours of sleep per night.....i dont kno i just freak out i think the whole blood pressure thing in the hospital just freaked me out to the max! i did not understand why in the world my bp spiked like that...my dr said it just happens for some people....i kno its only a week and for some meds it can take up to 3 months for them to actually stabilize you to where u need to be.....just a scary thing! thanks so much for the support!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat May 08, 2010 05:47 pm

This part is alarming because we are not used to being sick! But the good thing about PE is that it's *acute*, not chronic -- you really do get better, I promise. Even if this one bout with PE unmasks your genetic tendency to chronic hypertension, that likely won't mean much except for closer monitoring in subsequent pregnancies.

It's just that it takes a while. My pressures were normal four months postpartum, and I felt recovered a few months after that. PE can make you very, very sick, and the sicker you are the longer your recovery can take, but the longer the baby's been out the lower the risk that you need to be slapped back into the hospital on an IV.

Unless you start up with a killer headache or weird visual disturbances, I wouldn't worry too much (hah!) about your bp, because the baby's out now and they can medicate the heck out of you without compromising the baby. PP PE is a lot easier to treat; they just need to know if your symptoms are worsening so that they *can* treat you.

I know it's easier said than done to say "no panicking" -- holler whenever you need, post that you'd like to chat, find us on Facebook, because we've all been there and are very sympathetic and worried for you. Let us know how we can help. :)

cosmogirl4056

Postby cosmogirl4056 » Sat May 08, 2010 05:07 pm

im calming lol.....we went to walmart today so i checked my bp well i did it twice cuz i was so nervous....the first time i took it it said 145/95 with heart rate of 160...lol....i said i was nervous so i sat there a bit and took it again and it said 134/87......we had to come right home cuz we had company coming so i did not get a chance to get into cvs but i will be goin to get it....thanks for asking...o yea and the dr wants to check it on tuesday when i take my son in so that will be good

kellikbock

Postby kellikbock » Sat May 08, 2010 02:50 pm

How are you today, lady? ;0)

kellikbock

Postby kellikbock » Sat May 08, 2010 00:09 am

Well that's good! Get some rest, and if you do start to feel off or worried get checked. :0)

cosmogirl4056

Postby cosmogirl4056 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:58 pm

i went to cvs to get a cuff and i checked my bp there on the machine...which i think is much more accurate than the one at walgreens lol....and it said 145/94....which is right around where my dr thinks it is and is ok with....yes i am on meds but only a diuretic i am ont on actual bp med....the med i take is the one often given along with a bp med. when i bought the cuff i didnt realize i would need the larger cuff and i did not purchase that one so i will do that tomorrow.....i kno im driving my bf crazy with this but im really nervous! also i trust the one at cvs more because its an actual machine...like one at walmart or whatever...although yes these may not be the most reliable i kno, while the one at walgreens is one that you would use at home....i dont think that would stand up to all the people using as the other ones have. i will buy the cuff tomorrow....if i have anything abnormal before then i will go get checked

kellikbock

Postby kellikbock » Fri May 07, 2010 11:20 pm

I'm sorry. I don't want to scare you. I understand that it is worrisome. I has high blood pressure that was up and down then spiked. PP PE can happen...it did with me and many ladies on this board. I'm not a doctor, just a woman who went through it. Could you call your doctor (or one on call)? If not, I'd get things checked out. Those pressures are high (if they're accurate) & I'm sure that your BF wants you to be safe and healthy. Its hard for those who hear our health anxiety rants to really know what to think when a new issue arises.

rosalinda

Postby rosalinda » Fri May 07, 2010 11:14 pm

I WOULD NOT trust those public machines they have at pharmacies...kids are always playing on them/with them, and I don't think they get calibrated often enough or accurately.

If you are worried, I would just buy one and take your blood pressure at home. Remember to sit for 5 minutes with your feet flat on the floor, arm rested and cuff at heart level.

THEN...if it is still high..do head on in.

keep us posted.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Fri May 07, 2010 11:12 pm

You can feel fine and have very elevated BP. There is no way to get rid of it. Medication is the key. For me they had to readmit me and put me on 2 BP meds and IV BP meds.

Yes thi can happen. My BPS were 150/110 during delivery and after went down to 140/100 and I was readmitted 4 days later with 165/135...so yes it can go down and come back up. With BP 140/100 I would imagine you would be medicated? I would speak with your doctor

cosmogirl4056

Postby cosmogirl4056 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:06 pm

my bf thinks im over reacting....can this happen even tho i had my high bp at the hospital and it came down....shot up after delivery then came down...i am on a water pill not bp meds but a water pill....i really have no other symptoms and my dr already knows my bp runs around 140/100.....

Return to “Ask the Experienced”