still scared...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : still scared...

Postby caryn » Wed May 12, 2010 07:31 am

Health anxiety *plus* a wack adrenal gland makes even more anxiety. :). Some of it is just the leftover bits of preeclampsia, and will go away soon. I promise!

You are definitely not the only one; delivery starts the healing process, but it takes time. You'll know if you get a bad headache or sparkly lights or pain in the upper right side of your abdomen to call your doc or to head in to be checked, and you're monitoring your pressures so you'll know if they spike. So you have things you can do to help yourself if it does get worse. But you are also getting better with time; it just takes time and healthy young women are not used to being sick so it scares everyone!

Keep us posted -- someone will be around with a quick reply.

cosmogirl4056

Postby cosmogirl4056 » Wed May 12, 2010 00:11 am

i guess i thought this stuff would be done already.....glad to see im not the only one who, at 10 days pp, is still having the bp stuff....140/90

cosmogirl4056

Postby cosmogirl4056 » Wed May 12, 2010 00:08 am

i have anxiety...its health anxiety so i OBSESS over stuff.....one of the things would be this....and im 10 DAYS pp....im really scared now from what mommie2maddie said....i dont kno i just freak out over everything!

rgrwife

Postby rgrwife » Tue May 11, 2010 06:33 pm

I had high bp and was on meds for 6 weeks pp before it went back to normal. Are you on any meds? Keep monitoring your bps and hang in there! :)

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue May 11, 2010 04:58 pm

They don't diagnose you as a chronic unless your pressures are still elevated 6-8 weeks postpartum. The idea is that the chemicals produced by the placenta have to be cleaned up, by your body, and only *after* it's cleaned them up can it go back to repairing the damage to your bloodstream that has caused your pressures to elevate.

It's harder to do than to say, but try to just take your pressures 2-3 times a day at the same time of day and log them, and then report any strange spikes or upwards trends or novel symptoms of preeclampsia to your doc. One symptom of preeclampsia is heightened anxiety -- the placenta manipulates your adrenal gland and that also takes a while to reverse postpartum -- and a lot of what you're feeling is probably just leftover acute freakiness from being so acutely ill.

I always tell people it takes deep breaths and baby snuggles and time. :)

mommy2maddie

Postby mommy2maddie » Tue May 11, 2010 04:50 pm

I think your doctor is wrong, and he should be keeping a better eye on you. You can get PP PE for up to 6 weeks after delivery, after I had my son my doctor kept having me come in to check my bp and urine, thankfully I never developed PP PE. Regardless of it being rare or not (which I do not know the statistics)it CAN happen. If your BP gets higher or you get a really bad headache that wont go away, or blurry vision PLEASE go to the ER. Also, you have to remeber that when you get high BP during pregnancy it just doesnt go back to 'normal' overnight. I am 7 months PP and I still have high blood pressure. Perhaps you could see your family doctor to get his take on your high bp?

katznkt

Postby katznkt » Tue May 11, 2010 04:49 pm

Are you 10 months or 10 weeks pp?

My bp JUST went down this month. I am 4 1/2 months pp and it is just in the past two weeks that I have been getting consistently good readings of 118/78. This is down from the 140/90s that I was getting just about every day since delivery in January. So if it is 10 weeks post partum, give yourself some time and hopefully your bp will lower on its own.

I agree ( in my nondoctor opinion) that is sounds like you are out of the wooks for PP PE. Try not to worry. If you want to do something proactive, try to lose weight (if you are overweight) or get into shape. It can't hurt. Thats what I have been doing for the past month. Can't say if it was the diet, exercise, or just time that finally brought my bp down, but it is down and I am THRILLED. :)

cosmogirl4056

still scared...

Postby cosmogirl4056 » Tue May 11, 2010 04:31 pm

so im 10 pp and im still scared about everything....i still have high bp its running about 140/90......sumtimes a bit higher sumtimes a bit lower.....im just so scared about everything! i am constantly poking and prodding myself trying to see if anything is differemt....taking my bp and stuff like that! i just cant get over this! my dr told me today that i am out of the woods for pp pre eclampsia...he said that pp pre e starts soon after delivery 2-3 days and is diagnosed by now...since i have no signs he says i should be just fine. and i said i saw somewhere that it could develop up to 6 weeks after birth and he raised his eyebrows and said that would have to be VERY rare cases.....im still worried...do u guys think i should be or just get over it and accept that i may have chronic hypertension?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”