REALLY could use some advice

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
rachelc

Re : REALLY could use some advice

Postby rachelc » Wed Dec 24, 638932 4:52 am

I am so glad for the positive update! Wishing you many more weeks of baking!

lucidity

Postby lucidity » Tue Dec 23, 638932 6:40 pm

Well, I meant to post an update here a while ago but .... you know how it goes.

Long story short, I found a great doc who is keeping on my Metoprolol since my body is so used to it and I'm on Aldomet also. BPs have been great 110/70 to 120/80 - only a few higher readings at times of higher activity. I'm 10 weeks now. I'm so thankful to have found a great doc.

However, since I had PE with my first (he was born at 30 weeks) and had BP troubles with my 2nd (born at 38 weeks), I'm definitely hanging around here for support and education.

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Sun Dec 18, 638929 8:45 am

I know that I'm coming in late here but, I would just like to say that I do not recommend taking the metoprolol without seeking the advice of a doctor. Do you know how that bp medication will act with the other medication that you are on? Also, some medications are not meant to bring down your bp quickly so, even if you took it it may not bring down your bp right away or at all. It may be a drug that has to be taken over a sustained period to be effective. If your bp continues to be high, then you need to go the the ER. I know that's probably not what you want to hear but, it is important to get your bp down and to do it with the supervision of a doctor who can also order tests to make sure that there is nothing else going on too.

Let us know what happens.

patty

Postby patty » Thu Dec 08, 638929 10:30 am

Wow I can't believe they just dropped you like that. I might would go to the nearest large teaching hospital that would have a MFM on call and get checked out with pressures running that high for advice.

lucidity

Postby lucidity » Thu Dec 08, 638929 10:25 am

Thank you for the replies. That is my plan to get a peri/mfm - however, the offices I know of around here are closed for the day and now its the weekend. My blood pressure is still crazy right now and I don't feel like I have anyone to call. My ob office called me back and told me that they didn't think they'd like to continue to my care and gave me the phone number to another. They were so rude especially since I'm the pregnant crying one on the phone with them.

I know you can't tell me what to do but what would you do if you were me right now? Go ahead and take my metoprolol to get my bp down and then on Monday contact the mfm/peri or try something else?

Cynthia

rosalinda

Postby rosalinda » Thu Dec 08, 638929 6:55 am

I was on Atenolol before becoming pregnant. I told my Peri that when I did become pregnant I wanted to continue on the atenolol during the pregnancy. It is not routinely continued during pregnancy because there is a 'small chance' of having a smaller baby. I understood the risks, and it was my choice to continue the medication.

so far, so good. I am 32 weeks along, and baby has always measured near 50% percentile for growth. No problems so far, and I will continue the atenolol through delivery.

I understand that doctors will often put patients on meds that make the doctors comfortable. In your case I would let the doctor know that the metoprolol works for you, find out what the risks are and decide for yourself if you want to continue it or not.

brandi101

Postby brandi101 » Thu Dec 08, 638929 6:16 am

i agree you should get peri/mfm and then you two could decide what is the right meds and you do know your own body better then anyone else

patty

Postby patty » Thu Dec 08, 638929 3:57 am

In your shoes I would get a MFM/Peri (high risk OB) to manage my care. They should be more willing to keep you a med that works for you and have more experience caring for chronic hypertensives.

lucidity

REALLY could use some advice

Postby lucidity » Thu Dec 08, 638929 3:50 am

I'll try to make this short but give all the info. :)

I've had 1 m/c, 1 pre-term with pe in 1997 and 1 full term in 2000. I have chronic hypertension. It's been well controlled with metoprolol and hctz for years. I'm 39. Just found out I'm pregnant. I'm in a whole new location now and not near my old my docs.

So new doc puts me on labetalol, I don't tolerate it well and blood pressures actually went up. So then we've tried aldomet. Only 3 doses so far, but bp is only going up. Last reading was 180/120. I'm only 5 weeks, this is crazy. So now they want to send me to the ER since they are closing at noon.

I've seen others here on metoprolol during their entire pregnancies but doc won't listen to me about it at all. I know my body and how it works. It's having a hard time right now because they just dropped my meds instead of tapering.

Anyway, thoughts? suggestions? anything.... I could use it.

Thanks,
Cynthia

Return to “Ask the Experienced”