postpartum BP?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
rebecca2

Re : postpartum BP?

Postby rebecca2 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:31 pm

Thanks ladies. I think it might be as some of you suggested and maybe I was just headed towards PE, but had to deliver before it set in. That coupled with the stress of NICU.

I'm monitoring my BP 2-3 times/day and it is pretty labile, but the highs aren't nearly as high as they were a week ago. I'm really hoping it settles back down soon and I'm trying to work with my internist to get things back to normal. I don't mind taking the meds even if it is for life; I would just feel better if I didn't have ANY high readings while on it. ;)

mellybute

Postby mellybute » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:09 pm

Haven't been on in a few days. I had a completely normal first pregnancy (no PE). I developed pp PE with my second pregnancy last summer. I had really bad swelling, floaters, etc. but my blood pressure was completely normal during the entire pregnancy 110/65ish. My OB ran labs two weeks prior to delivery and all was normal there as well. The day I hit 37 weeks I was feeling really off and was REALLY swollen and just felt my body had done all it could do. Long story short, I ended up being admitted that day with high blood pressure, elevated pulse, contractions and c/s the next morning. Labile BP over the next 5 days, released, only to end up back in ER next day, readmitted into antepardom ICU for 4 more days with pp PE. All the symptoms at this point (URQ pain, visual disturbances, hyperreflexia, elevated liver enzymes, platelets lowering). I did not spill protein until after delivery either.

I ended up being released on 4 blood pressure meds and am now on one low dose med and am 10 months post partum. I had NEVER EVER had a high pressure reading at any time before this. It took me a little while to accept that I may be on bp meds forever, but I have and am now totally okay with it. If I can take a little pill, and stay out of the hospital and feel good, then GREAT! It could be worse.

Lots of posters have been able to see their bp go back to normal over a few weeks, months, I have even read a few that it took 2 years or so and then went back.

Right now I need the med, so I will gladly take it.

I hope yours stabilizes soon! It may take getting an internist or cardiologist getting involved and a med change. Hang in there mama!!!

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Sat Jun 12, 2010 01:08 pm

That was me. 5 days PP my BP shot up to 168/135 and remained that way for about another week and a half before my pressures started to come down. It took about 3 weeks before it went down. Give it some time. Hope you feel better soon!

trish9

Postby trish9 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:03 am

My experience is a little different than yours since I had pre-e with pre-existing HTN. Anyways after delivery and coming off mag, my pressures went up to the 160-170/100 range for a week and then gradually declined. From my understanding this is not ususual in a chronic hypertensive due to all the post-partum fluid shifting. I believe that some OBs are more aggressive about using diuretics post-partum to avoid this. On a side note, my pressures are now great in the 100s over 70s (on meds) so things should settle out as you get further out from delivery.

cosmogirl4056

Postby cosmogirl4056 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 08:16 am

my bp shot up to 160/100 post partum...it was the day after tho and then went down to 140/90 and then it would hover between 140/90 and 160/100 for about a week or 2...im 6 weks post partum and now it stays between 120/70 and 130/80......so maybe it just takes time

jules2

Postby jules2 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 05:48 am

I don't really know, but think that things getting worse for a while post-partum is not that unusual. Maybe you were on the way to developing PE, and delivery could not entirely halt that disease process. Although I had severe PE with Alice before delivery, I also developed severe HELLP about 3 days post-partum (having appeared to be recovering in between). The hospital were really surprised that happened, but it did.

I really hope it gets better for you soon x

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:26 pm

With my 3rd my BP was worse PP than it was during pregnancy. I was induced right at 36 weeks for BP & many PE symptoms but protein was never bad. PP my headache was still awful & BP was high & the nurses tried to tell me it was just the stress of leaving my baby at the hospital (she needed another day under bili lights). Well 4 days PP (and the day she came home) I was back at the ER with sky high BP (even on labetalol) the same killer headache. Still on 3 BP meds 2 1/2 years later. :(

Are you monitoring your pressure at home? PE can be an issue up to 6 weeks PP so be sure to keep an eye on any other symptoms. If it were just stress, likely the top number would be high (it's the one most affected by external factors like stress, being sick etc.) & it looks like both your numbers are high.

So glad to hear Aden is home!! Congrats!

kellikbock

Postby kellikbock » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:16 pm

I had elevated BP post partum due to PP PE. I didn't spill protein, either. It is my understanding that it can come on up to six weeks PP. I was back in the hospital on magnesium and was discharged ten days later on meds. It has been eighteen months now, and I am still on meds to control it. Hope that this helps.

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 08:52 pm

We do have several posters here who have had elevated bp and complications PP, but were relatively fine during pregnancy. I think Melissa was one of them....hopefully I am right on that. I don't know why it happens, but it isn't completely unusual. I do doubt it is stress...typically when bp stays elevated like that it is elevated bp, and not stress.... If you are on labetalol alone, that sometimes doesn't work to bring pressures down. I had to have hctz added in to bring down my bp. I had elevated bp postpartum, but I did have preeclampsia so I know my situation is a bit different than yours. But it does sound like it might just take you a little while for your pressures to come down, and working with different med combos might be what you need....

rebecca2

postpartum BP?

Postby rebecca2 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 08:42 pm

My BP during my pregnancy with Aden was well maintained. I started out on 200 mg of Labetalol twice a day prior to pregnancy. We decreased my dose around 12 weeks and again around 23 weeks, so at the end of the pregnancy I was on 100 mg twice a day with pressures in the 115-120/68-74 range. I had a c-section at 35w6d due to low amniotic fluid. My pressures remained good until approximately 1.5 weeks postpartum when they reached 150/99. (I guess I should have known something was up when the anesthesiologist told me during surgery, that I must be made for c-sections, because most women's BP would drop after the epidural and they would get sick, but mine was perfect.) We doubled my Labetalol and a week later my pressure was still elevated at 153/108.

Does anyone know what might cause my BP to raise like this postpartum if I'm not spilling protein and have no other symptoms? I'm really hoping it is related to stress (my baby was in NICU for 2 weeks), but not sure what is going on? Aden is home now, so I'm hoping if it is stress related, it will start decreasing. It just seems odd that my body would cope with pregnancy, but go crazy after delivery.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”