I finally know what the deal is...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
suzieq8204

Re : I finally know what the deal is...

Postby suzieq8204 » Sun Feb 12, 638936 5:01 pm

I ended up with a headache that would not go away and called my dr and he told me to go to L&D and I did and then ended up in Baylor in Dallas. My BPs were about the same as what they are here. well the ones at home were and the ones in his office were a little higher because I had been up a little longer. I lived about 30 mins from my drs office and sitting up that long made my BPs up a little bit but not to bad. I think one time it was 166/93 but most of them were like 145/89

blythe

Postby blythe » Sun Feb 12, 638936 2:28 pm

It sounds like you have careful docs, which is great, but can be confusing when you get conflicting information about how mild you are! I'm coming in late and I'm just curious - what made you end up in the hospital in the first place? What were your bps at home / in the office / when you're not on bedrest?

suzieq8204

Postby suzieq8204 » Sun Feb 12, 638936 3:42 am

Well I finially got my results back from yesterdays test and it said they have lowered! I have 462 in protein when last week I had 521! Still not going home but at least I have less. Maybe another week of less I might have a better chance of going home. I doubt it but Hay a girl can dream right. lol

Patty: I am not sure of any of the other factors that might be keeping me here, other then the protein. I talked to my nurse about my reflex and she said I have very little which is great. but I have no idea what other reason except the BP which is going fairly good and my protein those are the only symptoms I have. And I also had this in the past but not bad it was mild as well. so I know they are taking my past in to consideration.

patty

Postby patty » Sat Feb 11, 638936 7:20 pm

I think different doctors have different criteria for who they put on hospital bedrest. I don't think protein is often that big a factor. I know in my case it was the very high bp's and brisk reflexes that worried them more. I think your individual situation factors in too. The fact that I had other small children at home and bedrest there would be next to impossible and lived so far away from the hospital were factors I believe, also my previous history was a factor. It really is the safest place in case things go south quickly for you to be. It could be lifesaving if you had a seizure or abruption. My doctor at the time said he was not comfortable with me leaving because some of my bp's had been so high I could literally walk out in the parking lot and have a stroke and he wanted me there were I could be monitored. I know it is stressful but it will be worth it to get a healthy baby. As far as the taking bp's laying down it can give false readings and I can understand not wanting that as your reading when you are in the ER or labor and delivery being evaluated but when you are on hospital bedrest I think the docs know that is a resting/laying down pressure so it is okay if it stays stable that way so long as they are aware that is how it is being taken.

suzieq8204

Postby suzieq8204 » Wed Feb 01, 638936 9:07 am

They always use the same cuff to take my BP because it is one that they only use me and it stays in my room. Why is it that you wont let them take it while laying down? I mean if I am laying down they take it that way but if I am sitting up they then they take it sitting up but if it is to high they make me lay down.

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Wed Feb 01, 638936 8:19 am

I don't let them take my BP lying down and I make sure they use the right size cuff. I have been known to make the nurse retake it or get another size cuff- as I think a lot of women on this forum have done.

suzieq8204

Postby suzieq8204 » Wed Feb 01, 638936 12:50 am

My BP useally runs 118/66 when I am asleep and during the day it runs about 130s/80s unless I am layiing down. then it is lower. It has been up to 145/95 during the day. I just spoke to the nures and she said that in order to deliver it was all of the symptoms together not just the high protein. I know that every once in a while I have a tech that takes my BP and it will be a little higher cuz I was sitting up or something and they wont retake it but some of them will retake it if it is a littl high, they make me lay down and of course it goes back down. but I am not sure they actually record the high one they just take the lower one.

My reflexes are good I am guessing and I dont have swelling useally unless I am up alot on my feet like when they moved me to a new room and I had to pack everything and then unpack everything in my new room my feet where swollen a little that night but not to bad. of course once I got off of them they were fine. But they check my reflexes and they say they are okay but dont say much to me about them.

kqkitty: you said something about the hospital cut off for bed rest was 500? what does that mean? I know last week mine was 521 and I should know by noon tomorrow what this weeks is because I am in the process of taking the test and then it takes a few hours after I finish to get the results. I also think that it is more stressfull to be hospitalized then being on bed rest. At least if I was home on bed rest I could still see my kids and interact with them. When my son comes down for the summer I will be in the hospital so I wont get to see him much. so my husband and I mostly I have decided that we wont keep him all summer unless my son really wants to stay. No need for him to feel like he is here and not being able to see me when he could be home at his daddys and do real activities. and I will still be in the hospital when my daughter starts school this year. I have a wonderful husband that would do all my errons and that includes being mr. mom and doing house work and taking care of the kid. But at least if I was home I could see mmy daughter before and after school. So the hardest part is being an hour away from home and not being home! I think hospitalization is more stressfull then bed rest itself.

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Tue Jan 31, 638936 10:12 pm

I would agree it could be your other symptoms, if you have them. Because protein is one of those weird things that can confirm a diagnosis of preeclampsia, but alone does not cause a lot of worry.... In my case I had high bp, and some protein, but not really high. They mainly considered me severe pre-e based on bp and some other symptoms, and labs not bad yet, but not going in the right direction. I guess in my case you could say that finally have protein show up sealed the deal, but that definitely wasn't their main cause of worry so to speak. Without the high bp's, I most likely would not have been on bed rest or remaining in the hospital.

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Tue Jan 31, 638936 4:07 pm

Is it possible that you are having some other symptoms that the docs are concerned about? Maybe excessive swelling or hyperreflexia?

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Tue Jan 31, 638936 4:04 pm

I agree with Glimmer. I don't know that many docs would deliver simply based on protein, especially prior to 37 weeks, and if they are that concerned, I can't imagine why they won't give you the steroid shots.

I've also never heard of protein being the last stage of preeclampsia. I know that many of us here have had mild protein but high BP and that's what got us delivered, and some with HELLP that never even spilled protein. With my last pregnancy, it was my BP that determined delivery, not protein (which stayed stable despite 190/100s BPs).

Return to “Ask the Experienced”