Labs are in...i need help!***UPDATE at bottom***

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jenmatt1
Registered User
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 638635 11:16 am
Location: Florida

Re : Labs are in...i need help!***UPDATE at bottom***

Postby jenmatt1 » Wed May 02, 638936 10:35 pm

good luck today Bethany- my thoughts and prayers are with you

trish
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2949
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 637985 10:46 pm

Re : Labs are in...i need help!***UPDATE at bottom***

Postby trish » Wed May 02, 638936 6:42 pm

Sounds like you have a good plan. Update us when you can - we'll be thinking good, healthy thoughts for you & baby!!

jordyjsmom
Registered User
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 637975 10:47 am

Re : Labs are in...i need help!***UPDATE at bottom***

Postby jordyjsmom » Wed May 02, 638936 6:17 pm

Thanks for all the advice ladies. I know its kind of a crazy thing to ask :)

I'm going to talk to my Dr today about being admitted until delivery. I know that's what they originally wanted to do but there was absolutely NO room for me at the hospital and since my BP's weren't horrible when they checked it they sent me home. I honestly still keep going back and forth depending on how i feel.

Part of the day i feel fine and perfectly normal, but i can definitely tell when my BP is too high and it scares me. I get an intense pressure in my head (like someone is trying to blow up a balloon inside my skull), i get nauseous, feel like i got punched in the sternum and start seeing the colored lights like I've been looking into the sun. I was sitting there last night feeling awful with my DS sprawled out sleeping on my lap and started crying because what if i let it go to far and I'm not there for my kids.

So, i think as of this morning I'm just going to put my trust in my Dr's that they know best and go with what they say. I go see my OB today and I'm going to have a serious heart to heart, lay it all out there and see what she says. I'm still terrified of having another early baby. I wish there were a way to look into the future and know he was going to be ok. Its just so unpredictable. There were just 2 babies born on a pregnancy forum i belong to. One was born at 36 weeks and needed the NICU, the other was born at exactly 35wks and is perfectly fine and been rooming in with his parents. So, basicaly, i could push my limits end up terribly ill and still have a baby in the NICU a week from now....


Sigh....PE SUCKS!

trish
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2949
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 637985 10:46 pm

Re : Labs are in...i need help!***UPDATE at bottom***

Postby trish » Sat Apr 21, 638936 9:35 pm

If it were me I would let them induce - ASAP. I can say this with the rational hindsight I didn't have when I was pregnant & trying desperately to make it to 36 weeks - which was the day after Christmas. Even though I was on total bedrest at home I wanted Christmas to be as normal as possible for my 2 & 4 year old. Christmas, for me was like your 35 weeks - I had it my head that if I made it that far it would all be ok. I just *had* to make it that far.

I'd made 2 trips to L&D for severe headaches about a week before Christmas & my BP meds just kept getting increased while my BP kept rising anyway. In order to "get through Christmas" I ignored my spliting headache, took as much pain med as possible & rationalized that if I called my OB every time my head still hurt I'd be living at L&D.

Well - yeah - that would have been better!!! I can see that now - I should have called in & most likely my OB would have induced me the same day - before Christmas. The plan had been to do an amnio the day after Christmas & if we had mature lungs then induce. But when I went to my appt early on the 26th my head (still) hurt like it was being squeezed from all sides at once & I just felt awful. My reflexes were off & I was spilling protein so my OB sent me to L&D & we induced without the amnio. Baby wasn't tolerating the pitocin contractions very well so labor took longer & she ended up being born just after midnight onto the 27th.

But besides needing to stay an extra day for photo therapy she was fine - no NICU. My my BP got worse & I needed more meds to control it than I did when pregnant. I still wonder if I'd have been smart enough to call in & get induced sooner - if my recovery would have been easier.

Good luck with making a decision. I know we all want what's best for our babies but sometimes we have to step back & remember that a healthy mama is what they need the most. (((HUGS)))

glimmer
Registered User
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 638613 2:20 am

Re : Labs are in...i need help!***UPDATE at bottom***

Postby glimmer » Sat Apr 21, 638936 7:30 pm

I like Patty suggestion about hospital bedrest very much.

Also you need to consider how a "controlled" induction weights against one more in a emergency context possibly leading to a CS.

I personally had creeping preeclampsia and pushed them for another week. But that's a decision based on your individual history.

A lot of the members here had sudden onset and severe cases, where immediate delivery is more appropriate.

Good luck to having your baby soon! And all the best for induction whenever...

glimmer
Registered User
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 638613 2:20 am

Re : Labs are in...i need help!***UPDATE at bottom***

Postby glimmer » Sat Apr 21, 638936 7:23 pm

This is a difficult one and nobody can take the decision from you. I think any day more in utero
is better for the baby (assuming they are not compromised) and any day less for your health.
By waiting your risk getting to a severe stage but probably will shorten NICU time. It's up to you
to decide after getting all information possible.

Is your PE more creeping or sudden onset? I think that would influence my decision.


User avatar
patty
Registered User
Posts: 667
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 637672 10:58 am

Re : Labs are in...i need help!***UPDATE at bottom***

Postby patty » Sat Apr 21, 638936 7:18 pm

I think if they had you in the hospital were they could monitor you constantly it would be okay to push a few more days but just being at home over the weekend would not be something I would be comfortable with and would let them go ahead and induce. Can you come to a compromise with the MFM or your doctor and have them get you a room for hospital bedrest?

jamilyn
Registered User
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 637342 2:57 pm
Contact:

Re : Labs are in...i need help!***UPDATE at bottom***

Postby jamilyn » Sat Apr 21, 638936 4:00 pm

I dont think 2 days is worth risking your health and your babies health. My cousins 34 weeker went home with her and my 35 weeker was in for 11 days and spent almost 2 days on a vent and some of the babies in the NICU with him were full term babies. So much could go wrong, I would trust the Drs and let them induce. From what Ive been told 5k is the cut off for protein and they will deliver right away so 3900 isnt too far off from that. It can go bad quick or you could be fine for a week but the chance isnt worth it.
Best of Luck.

alexa5
Registered User
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 638615 9:55 am

Re : Labs are in...i need help!***UPDATE at bottom***

Postby alexa5 » Sat Apr 21, 638936 1:30 pm

I would probably let them induce. I was induced at 33 weeks, and my son did need the NICU, but mainly for growing and feeding. Jen made a good point...there is the possibility if you hold off for too long, you run more of a risk of being in the hospital longer even if your baby doesn't. And also as said above, there really is no guarantee that 35 weeks means the baby avoids the NICU...you just never know.

Good luck!

brandib
Registered User
Posts: 513
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 638917 4:28 pm

Re : Labs are in...i need help!***UPDATE at bottom***

Postby brandib » Sat Apr 21, 638936 12:46 pm

I would let them induce. I had a 36 weeker and a 37 weeker spend almost two weeks in Nicu so I don't think that getting to 35 weeks will make much of a difference. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Preeclampsia is a terrible thing. God Bless You and your baby.


Return to “Ask the Experienced”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests