Can BP Meds Mask The Progression Of PE - Updated

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
ktsl123

Re : Can BP Meds Mask The Progression Of PE - Updated

Postby ktsl123 » Fri Apr 24, 638939 4:48 pm

This post was increasingly scary as it seemed like no one was caring enough in the hospital until the end. I am glad your baby and you are doing ok.

amypete

Postby amypete » Sun Mar 22, 638939 6:14 pm

Wow! I'm so glad your story has a happy ending. I hope your little girl does well and grows and grows. It is so good that you pushed and went to the other hospital and got the help you needed. Sounds like things good have been a lot worse. I hope you can rest up and feel better. You've been through a lot the past few days. But congratulations!!

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Sun Mar 22, 638939 12:25 pm

I'm so thankful you went to the hospital and were delivered safely.

Congratulations on the birth of your little girl. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you are both home together soon.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Mar 22, 638939 8:38 am

I am *so glad* you went to another hospital and kept pushing to be taken seriously.

Welcome Earthside to your little girl!

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Sun Mar 22, 638939 8:27 am

I am so glad that they got you delivered. I hope that your baby girl does well. Congratulations!

jenprzygoda

Postby jenprzygoda » Sun Mar 22, 638939 3:22 am

Congratulations! So happy that they took you seriously and are continuing to monitor you. Wishing you and your new daughter all the best!

stargazer

Postby stargazer » Sat Mar 21, 638939 11:35 am

Thank everyone once again. I ended up going to the other hospital last night and they took things very seriously. They took bloods as soon as arrived and were very concerned about how severe my bruising was and the vomiting. My BP was 190/117 when I arrived they started Mag straight away and within 1.5hrs of arriving our little girl was born via emergency C/S weighing just over 3 pounds at 32wks and 5 days. My husband said she is doing well I have only seen pictures so far but they are still monitoring me very closely and hoping I will get to have my first visit in the morning.

sarab
Site Admin

Postby sarab » Tue Mar 10, 638939 1:36 pm

Just want to chime in and echo Alanna and Jen - everything you are mentioning is concerning. If I were in your shoes, I'd be on my way to the hospital an hour away. Getting some current HELLP labs done would help put your (and our!) minds at ease a bit.

Do take care.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Tue Mar 10, 638939 11:20 am

Easy or unusual bruising can be a symptom of HELLP syndrome (so can vomiting and epigastric pain). If I were you I wouldn't be able to relax without recent (like today!) blood work ruling out HELLP syndrome.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you have already met the diagnostic criteria for preeclampsia (high blood pressure plus proteinuria). As you can see from many of our stories preeclampsia can worsen quickly, in a matter of hours. Unfortunately one isn't out of danger from preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome until six weeks after delivery.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as too paranoid when it comes to preeclampsia. Vomiting in late pregnancy is *not* normal. And trust me, they don't give steroid injections without cause!

jenprzygoda

Postby jenprzygoda » Tue Mar 10, 638939 6:09 am

Check and see if your OB can help out at all. If they can't or you can't get in touch with them, just go to the other hospital. I agree that with a higher level NICU they will have more experience with high blood pressure and all of your related symptoms. It is so hard to know how all the symptoms are playing a role since PE/HELLP is so crazy - I would let some doctors who have experienced more of these cases make a determination. Take care of yourself and just keep being persistent. Ultimately, you are the one who knows when you and your baby need more help, and it sounds like you are at that point.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”