Just diagnosed with preeclampsia, UPDATE!!!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
bettie

Re : Just diagnosed with preeclampsia, UPDATE!!!

Postby bettie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 06:55 pm

ahh ok. I was wondering because my dr told me that most women who develop eclampsia usually do so during child birth and then since I have been getting these contractions my symptom,s have returned, so i sort of put two and two together. i wasnt sure if anyone else noticed it. last time they checked my cervix i was effaced a little so i have been hoping my induction will go quicker then what everyone else is telling me it will, but ehh suppose i shouldnt get my hopes up :P

milesymommy

Postby milesymommy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:57 am

I had contractions for several weeks before induction. I initially thought they were just cramps until the nurse told me they were contractions. I don't think they are related to PE at all or make it worse.
My first induction was slow and boring - and not scheduled. I was induced at 36 weeks due to PE and HELLP. I had an epidural because I was on mag and I knew I couldn't do any of the pain management techniques I had planned on. Mag for me made me completely loopy - I felt so out of it and hate that feeling. So, bring a lot of books, musics, movies, magazines and get comfortable. Maybe ask for friends to stop by for an hour or two at a time during the first day, because believe me, it will most likely be ssllloooowwww....
I was induced with DS2 as a precaution. I had PIH only... but baby was a mover, and they wanted to induce while they knew he was head down (he flipped at 38 weeks... and flipped... and flipped...). Again, it was slow, but I had issues not related to PE during L&D. It was a horrible delivery, and in retrospect, I wish I had waited for a natural delivery. But that's with hindsight, and knowing I wasn't as at risk as with my first. But I was completely paranoid and that's why I was fine with being induced. It's easy now that its over to say "I should have waited" but at the time, I thought I was making the right decision. And who knows.. if I waited, things could have gone bad as well. 20/20 hindsight is really only 50/50, because you never know what would have happened with the road not taken.

bettie

Postby bettie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:17 am

well as you ladies know by now Im scheduled for induction october 2nd! But I have a question concerning labor and Pre-e. This last week I have noticed the swelling return in my feet and my blood pressure rise again. I have done very well considering I was diagnosed with pre-e 5 weeks ago!

Now this week I have start getting contractions. Today at my nst they noted that I was having quite a few, but some of them I was not even able to feel, they just picked up on the monitor, and some of them were quite uncomfortable. I am wondering if labor causes pre-e to get worse, and maybe this is the reason that my bp's and swelling have gotten worse again? It seems to me, since I have been having contractions my bp and swelling have went up along with them. I have been having quite a few contractions and menstrual-like cramping. Honestly, I am not sure if I will even make it to my induction day.

mrss

Postby mrss » Thu Sep 16, 2010 02:01 pm

I was induced at 37 weeks. I got cervadil overnight to ripen my cervix. (I had already been taking Evening Primrose Oil for a couple weeks because I knew I'd probably be induced.) The cervadil started back labor and around 6 AM the nurses moved to me L&D (I had been in the antepartum dept.) I had a chance to shower and get my bearings (and finally get an IV that didn't hurt or get in my way) before they started the pit. I had to stay in bed for a couple hours so they could see how the baby and I were responding to the contractions. After several hours I got up and could sit on the ball and rock in the rocking chair. Around 1 PM my OB came in and ruptured my membranes. I was still only 2 cm dilated at the time, but that really kicked up the contractions. DS was still not engaged and they were worried about a prolapsed cord, so I had to stay in bed again. As the contractions continued, my BP started to rise. I got the epidural because I knew it could help bring it back down and every time my BP went up (alarms going off), my body would start shaking, which made it really hard to concentrate on my breathing. The epidural worked well and I didn't need mag. I was completely dilated by 7:00 and held on for a little bit while everyone got all their gear ready. I pushed for 20 minutes and DS was born at 8:10. My OB did use a vacuum because his head had been popping in and out for several pushes and he was having decels. It ended up that the cord was knotted around his neck so tightly it had to be cut off. After a little bit of stim he was fine. I had a doula and I would highly recommend it. I'm planning to use the same woman this time.

bettie

Postby bettie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:22 am

Thank you everyone for your feedback! It helped to keep my mind at ease some! I think I am going to try and go as long as i possibly can without the epidural and see what happens from there. i have some birthing classes I am going to attend before hand too.

I am soo very excited that my baby girl will be here in 2 weeks. I cant believe how fast time has went. i was 30 weeks along when i started posting here! i will keep you guys updated if anything changes and once she arrives!

cc

Postby cc » Wed Sep 15, 2010 04:44 pm

Hi Bettie! I was induced at 37 wks with a cervical ripening drug. I had 3 rounds of it and when I went into labor it was 4 hrs start to finish. I was at a birthing center and did not have any pain meds (which I read was something you'd hoped for). I've heard that pitocin contrax are much harder than natural ones so I would expect that if you get pit.

Also you asked about Mag/Sulf. I got it 5 days post partum and for me it wasn't bad at all. In fact I have wondered if I even got it (though I know I did) when I read others say (on this and other forums) how awful it was for them. I was breastfeeding my daughter and demanded I be allowed to eat and this *may* have made a difference for how I reacted to it. So I would ask/tell them you still want to be able to eat (if you get it at all and your hospital doesn't have that silly no-eating-while-laboring rule).

Hopefully your induction will go nice and smooth!

brandib

Postby brandib » Wed Sep 15, 2010 01:42 pm

With my first induction I was induced three times to get her out! Three seperate times of having cervadil and pitocin! I was relased from the hospital only to end back up there two days later on mag and told I wouldn't leave pregnant. They started the cervadil again for 12 hrs and by 7 am I was on pitocin and at 2:30 my water was broken and by 5pm I was crying with the contractions but not dilating. I wasnt' dilated or effaced at the time....so my labs were crashing fast and I was told at 9:30pm if I didn't deliver at midnight they would do a c-section so I got the epidural and ta-da.....my daughter was born at exactly midnight! :0) Only pushed for fifteen minutes! My health continued to get worse with PE and Hellp, but my daughter was great. She didn't handle the mag well though. She was a 38 weeker, just barely.

With my second, it was my easiest pregnancy though not easy at all. I was induced at 36 weeks with my son and started on cervadil at 12 noon and I wasn't dilated or effaced. Around 2am I was started on pitocin and mag :0( I cried and cried and begged to not have the mag but they basically just said " yeah right". My contractions got stronger way faster and 10:45am my water was broken and by 3:30pm I got an epidural my son started going into distress, my Bp's were going up and he was born at 5:07pm and spent 10 in Nicu.

My third induction, OMG! I'll just say OUCH!!!! I did NOT have to be on mag which was great, but epidural didn't work out and I was FORCED to labor and deliver without! So not fair when that wasn't your plan! But this induction was better in my opinion and it was done with a foley balloon and I wasn't dilated or effaced at exactly 37 weeks. It only took that foley about three hours to get me to 3 cm and the pitocin was started right from the get-go and somewhere around 5ish my water was broken and I delivered at 11:14pm :0) She spent 11 days in Nicu and my health has never come back to me. I"m four months PP. I totally reccomend the foley vs cervadil if you can help it!

alsgirl2002

Postby alsgirl2002 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 01:25 pm

I was induced promptly at 37w. My cervix was high, closed, and not ripe in any way. Around 5:30 pm they gave me the first med. It wasn't pitocin - something else that I can't recall (apparently its not used much anymore - bummer). This gave me nice, consistent, tolerable contractions. Around 9pm, I was only dialated to 1cm so they gave me another medicine (again - not pitocin) to move things further along. This quickly gave me very intense and very long contractions. I held out for a while because I didn't want to stall labor, but by 10 I was begging for my epidural. Baby had some difficulties with the labor, her heart rate was slowing regularly so they had me moving around alot. I think around 2am they broke my water. After that things went fast. But 4am I was dialated to 10cm, but my dr was in a c/s so I had to wait to push until she was done. No problem since I was medicated. I guess I started pushing around 5am and 45 minutes later I had my baby. Almost 12 hours from start to finish.

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:53 am

I was induced on a Tuesday afternoon and delivered early Thursday am. I ended up getting an epidural when it started to get uncomfortable because I knew the whole process would probably take a while and there was no point in trying to go "natural". Especially since I already had an IV for the mag and bp meds, etc. I don't remember anything terrible about the experience, and though it sounds long based on the number of days, I think it didn't really feel that long because it went in various stages.

I want to say my water broke on its own on Weds afternoon and that is when things started to pick up a bit.

bettie

Postby bettie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:29 am

Soo i just scheduled my induction! Its is for October 2nd! i am really nervous and excited. Everyone keeps telling me i will be in labor for a long time and what not, this is everyone else around me, thats not hat my doc actuallyt said about it.

My doctors wanted to go ahead and continue with induction at 37 weeks because despite my labs stabilizing my blood pressures have went back up now. The doctor also said more then likely thewy are going to have to start me on mag too.

Would you ladies please describe the length of your inductions and how they went for you? your experiences are appreciated :)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”