Two partners with/out pre-e.

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
miamibunnie

Re : Two partners with/out pre-e.

Postby miamibunnie » Sat Sep 11, 2010 02:05 pm

Caryn, Yes we will soon be pregnant and I will also be your shoulder. I am so excited but a little frightened. I know that my fear will kick in around 22 weeks. If I can can surpass the 20ish weeks and get to the 30's I will be so happy. Like I said on my other threads at least we are well informed on this ugly disease, and we know what we have to do in any event we feel anything. I will tell you the doctors will get sick of me because I will be calling for any random concern.
My hubby is also taking vitamines he has 2 weeks taking calcium, fish oil(omega), and vitamine D. He decided that he will participate since it does'nt hurt to try.

quote:Originally posted by atvlady

Lisette I wish you nothing but the best of luck :) You and I will get pregnant around the same time so I will be a shoulder. I have read all that on the internet. And read that for the same partner, that if you have very little time between pregnancies, your chances are lowered. I hope that is the case with me and you. Mine was so early and bad I can't make heads or tailes of anything :(

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Sep 05, 2010 07:45 pm

I think I'm explaining this on two or three different threads and keep forgetting what I said where. :) But it depends not just on you but on the guy. Odds are changing partners would make things better, unless it makes things worse. Because most guys are probably carrying genes that are more compatible with yours, but some guys are carrying genes that are *less* compatible, or that aren't compatible with anyone really ("dangerous partners"). And sometimes you have an underlying condition that means it doesn't matter *what* you do.

That's the hypothesis, anyway. It's hard to research this properly (can you imagine randomizing women to make a baby with different partners who might make them sicker??) so it will probably stay up in the air for a while yet. :)

jamilyn

Postby jamilyn » Sun Sep 05, 2010 07:42 pm

I was told that with a new partner I wouldn't get it again and a few women on here I know had it with 1st partner then not with 2nd. I had the same partner with 1 and 2 (1st - 27 weeks w/PE, HELLP & Eclampsia and 2nd went to 35 weeks just starting to get PE) then my 3rd it was with my Husband and I got worse much earier then ever (delivered at 25 weeks due to PE, HELLP and a complete placental abruption) and now the Drs are telling me I could be just fine if my Husband and I have another one (but I got a tubal) No way am I going to test the theory they are wanting to to see if I do do better with my 2nd one with him.

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Sun Sep 05, 2010 01:30 am

Lisette I wish you nothing but the best of luck :) You and I will get pregnant around the same time so I will be a shoulder. I have read all that on the internet. And read that for the same partner, that if you have very little time between pregnancies, your chances are lowered. I hope that is the case with me and you. Mine was so early and bad I can't make heads or tailes of anything :(

miamibunnie

Postby miamibunnie » Sun Sep 05, 2010 00:49 am

So I have heard so many different things. In my case my first daughter it was from my first relationship when I was 23 yrs old eclampsia at 25 weeks. I waited almost 13-14 years before having the second pregnancy and with my current spouse.
I have heard that she chances of getting PE with a different partner may minimize the chances of getting PE. But that was not true.

I also heard that waiting that long to get pregnant is not good either, your body tends go back to normal.

I also heard not waiting to long to get pregnant with same partner decreases the chances or at least pregnancy can be maintained longer.
Since body recognizes the sperm.
I can tell you that PE came this time without seizures which is great.
Well we will see, when I get pregnant again from my husband.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Sep 04, 2010 05:46 pm

Yeah, there are all sorts of complicating factors that they have been trying to stratify and remove from studies. They used to say that changing partners raised risk -- then they decided they were simply seeing increased risk from increased number of years between pregnancies and loss of the spiral artery remodelling -- then they decided there might be a net benefit to changing partners in addition to a net loss with increased time between pregnancies.

My partner's brother has fathered a pregnancy where the baby was severe IUGR, so I have some reason to think they might be "dangerous partners.". One of my sisters has had a case of severe PE and the other was hypertensive at age 25 despite biking 10 miles a day to work. I'm pretty sure that I've got both sides working against me here. :)

lakensmommy

Postby lakensmommy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:16 am

i read somewhere that the theory was disproved it has nothing to do with your partner but more your age during the pregnancies following pree. I'll have to find the article and repost.

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:11 am

My husband has no kids and his brother's wives had no problems in pregnancy. Now on my side of the family, my Mom had severe toxemia (pre-e) with me when she was 30. I was 3 weeks over due. I think I get mine from my Mom. My husband is the first one I have had a baby with. Hubby's Mom and his side of the family does not have a history of any pre-e or pregnancy complications. Any thoughts?

jules2

Postby jules2 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:04 am

Lol Caryn - I've felt tempted to test this too. There is no history of pre-eclampsia or miscarriage in my family, but there is in my husbands. I did float that by him as a possible solution, but he wasn't totally impressed.

Testing this out would cause me all sorts of different problems :-)

leftcoastgirl

Postby leftcoastgirl » Fri Sep 03, 2010 06:44 am

My first two pregnancies were with a different partner (resulted in pre-e) but I was 20 and 22 when I had them and undiagnosed/untreated for my clotting disorder. Ten years went by before I had my 3rd so from what I have read it can be like a "first pregnancy" again ...that baby was with a new partner. Not even a trace of Pre-e....but I used lovenox/lda. They do say that the male genes are responsible for the placenta so my hubby loved to joke aroynd that he " makes good placentas" haha. I think there are so many factors to consider. I do know my ex did not have the clotting disorder I have (we tested my dd before putting her on the pill)... if he had it she would have been positive. I was also so much younger with my first two, and under a LOT of stress. Pre-e surely is a puzzle.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”