Blood pressure question

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
brandib

Re : Blood pressure question

Postby brandib » Wed Jun 27, 638942 6:37 pm

Laura-----my diastolic is always the one the goes the craziest. Like even if I'm in the 115's on top, I'm in the 90's on bottom. My last BP check today I was 134/102 and before that I was 117/94. These new meds have def lowered my BP but still not to normal :0( I haven't been getting any 160's over 120's or 130's anymore but I still get daily diastolics of over a 100 or over 110.

zeekatt

Postby zeekatt » Mon Jun 04, 638942 6:41 am

I, too, tend to have a higher diastolic reading in relation to stress. I think I have tendencies toward a higher diastolic anyhow, but when I'm in worry mode, it definitely goes higher while my systolic isn't all that high at all. In fact, my average is 130/90 but sometimes get funky readigns like 120/93. When my systolic DOES go high, it tends to drive my diastolic down. Like I might randomly see 140/82 or something.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Mon Jun 04, 638942 3:39 am

Alexa...very true, There just has to be some medical reasoning behind why only my bottom number seems to get highest.

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Sun Jun 03, 638942 4:49 pm

I think the other thing to consider is that as a group we are all far more aware of our bp than most "normal" people--meaning that everyone has fluctuations daily and just don't know about it because they never take their bp...they just rely on the readings taken at their doc's office once in a while.

I really wouldn't worry about those bits of fluctuation...and taking it the same time each day or every few days is probably a better measure of where your bp is, as that way you won't see all of the normal fluctuations.

I am not pregnant, but I finally got to the point that I take it once every few weeks and it has been really consistent every time I take it, whereas if I took it several times a day it might very well vary throughout the day.

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Sun Jun 03, 638942 11:50 am

quote:Originally posted by L412Angel

SO I notice when I cry or am upset that my bottom number rises...when everyone says its supposed to be the top one...its always my bottom one. Reason?

Laura, my diastolic is the one that seems to be most affected by stress, too. (Both during pregnancy and postpartum.) I'm not sure why that is, but I've been meaning to ask my PCP about it.

Although, 112/88 isn't terribly high, I would go ahead and call your OB just to ease your mind. How is everything else going?

mbshu

Postby mbshu » Sun Jun 03, 638942 11:28 am

Laura
I actually seem to have a rise in my diastolic also when I am stressed. Usually mine can run anywhere from 100-125/70-83. Usually its in the 110's and the mid 70's. Yesterday was my son's first day of kindergarten and I was crying after he left and I took it and it was 111/84. I was like why is the bottom so high, (not that its that high but for me regularly it is) and today I was still worried about him leaving for school and it was 106/81, again not what I like to see for my diastolic but I think it must of been the fact that I was upset.
I hope that you are having a better afternoon and that you are feeling better. I will be thinking of you and your little one!

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Sun Jun 03, 638942 2:46 am

Laura- one other thing I did not know is that you should empty your bladder before taking your blood pressure. My dr said that sometimes a full bladder for some unknown reason causes a higher blood pressure reading. Mine issue is the opposite of yours- my top number is what climbs while lower number stays lower- but surprisingly it does not really rise when I am stressed. And mine is not always lower in the morning than the night- but that could be because I am usually chasing a 2 year old to get ready for preschool in the morning.

alsgirl2002

Postby alsgirl2002 » Sat Jun 02, 638942 10:25 pm

I don't know if it's really true that you shouldn't be concerned with low BPs in the morning and rising BPs during the day. You do need to be concerned with high morning BPs - this is true. However, it wasn't till my 33rd or 34th week last time around that I started waking with high BPs, but I was labile prior to that and my dr was concerned. That being said, you are too early for higher BPs to be a result of pre-e. But, your BP is clearly susceptible to stress. Someone here posted that its normal for your BP to range 20 points in one day, though I don't know why only your diastolic rises. That's how my BP is. My systolic is pretty stable, but during pregnancy my diastolic seems to be very labile.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Wed May 23, 638942 4:36 pm

Thank you! I am just wondering why my Diastolic always seems to rise and never my systolic?

preemomof2

Postby preemomof2 » Wed May 23, 638942 2:25 pm

Your numbers are not that bad. During the day your bp will rise. So, if your bp is high you should wait two minutes and take it again. Also, you need to know your baseline. If you naturally have low bp than maybe your numbers are high. However, I think you are fine. The best time to check bp is in the morning. If after sleeping for 8hrs your bp is up then you should be concerned. After the AM your bo willgo up and down depending on activities.sending you positive vibes.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”