I give up.....My BP wins

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
miamibunnie

Re : I give up.....My BP wins

Postby miamibunnie » Tue Sep 04, 638942 4:10 am

Sydney ,Hope your feeling better. Are you on any meds since you delivered at 23 weeks. Did your drs come up with a plan?

quote:Originally posted by sydney31

I suffered with severe pre-eclampsia in Nov 09, my blood pressure would not settle on Labetalol, my doctor changed me to Methyladopa 250 3x per day and it is now under control, averaging 140/80.

I am 7 weeks pregnant and have been bleeding since Friday, I am praying all will be ok x

zeekatt

Postby zeekatt » Fri Aug 24, 638942 3:07 pm

I totally agree that I would get your BP under control with the best meds possible, and forgo breastfeeding in order to do so. However, I do think that most antihypertensives can safely be used while nursing at this point. I think your doctors have been conservative so far in giving you some of the older drugs that are known to be safe during pregnancy. At this point, you clearly need some newer, stronger drugs. I just don't think that means you can't still breastfeed. You could possibly even do half & half or something. But, certainly, I think your priority should be getting that diastolic under control.

sydney31

Postby sydney31 » Thu Aug 23, 638942 8:00 pm

I suffered with severe pre-eclampsia in Nov 09, my blood pressure would not settle on Labetalol, my doctor changed me to Methyladopa 250 3x per day and it is now under control, averaging 140/80.

I am 7 weeks pregnant and have been bleeding since Friday, I am praying all will be ok x

preemomof2

Postby preemomof2 » Thu Aug 23, 638942 3:07 pm

What did your bp's run in pregnancy and did you have a successful outcome? My bp's are still all over the place two years later and they have tried me on so many medications I cannot even keep up with them anymore. Some days my bp will be fine and other days it will run high, 160/100 has been the highest. Good luck to you. I hope you can get your bp down and that it will stay down!!

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Thu Aug 23, 638942 12:19 am

quote:Originally posted by glimmer

I am very much into breastfeeding but I think if I were you I might consider weaning and going on other BP combos in the interest of the mother of your child, iyswim. You really have the very best of reasons to wean.

I agree...your symptoms and pressures are very concerning.

glimmer

Postby glimmer » Wed Aug 22, 638942 5:12 pm

I am very much into breastfeeding but I think if I were you I might consider weaning and going on other BP combos in the interest of the mother of your child, iyswim. You really have the very best of reasons to wean.

brandib

Postby brandib » Sun Aug 12, 638942 3:20 am

Thanx zeekatt. I was jolted awake today by a horrible headache, racing heart, and pain in my left arm. I must have been hurting so bad in my sleep because I started dreaming that I fell and hurt my arm and one of my fingers came off lol, but I opened my eyes to a flying heartbeat and pain and my BP wasn't too high by any means 130/102 but It just wont go to normal ranges. I took my meds, and so we'll see what today brings :0)

zeekatt

Postby zeekatt » Sun Aug 12, 638942 2:57 am

Have you researched Dr. Hale? He has great information on meds that are compatible with breastfeeding. Many, many drugs become safer the older the baby gets, and since yours is 4 months old you might look into something like Diovan (I had great results with this drug). Also, keep in mind your baby will be eating solids before too long and won't be getting 100% of nutrients from you. At any rate, I'd look through Dr Hale's antihypertentisve meds (http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/discus/messa ... 1284420780) and see if you can find a new combo, or somethign to add to the combo you have going right now.
good luck!
%

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Mon Jul 30, 638942 7:05 pm

I am sorry! I know you have had quite the struggle! As for the echo and cardiologist, could you ask your pcp to request the records...I think it is really important you and your PCP see the results even if everything looked fine. I have always heard to never assume that no news is good news... any really good doc should ensure you get the results good or bad. We are all human, so they might have forgotten, but then that is where you come in and need to follow up/or at the very least have your pcp get the results asap.

I did find that when I went to the cardiologist to have an echo done/wean off meds that they do have a bit of a different approach than a pcp because they specialize in it. In my case the cardiologist was able to help me wean off, but he also had a preference in what meds I should take if I wasn't able to wean. And the other thing that was nice that when I did have a bit of a spike after going off labetalol, he didn't panic and still suggested I go off the other med to see how I did. And you know, I did just fine. I think my PCP would have wanted to keep me on meds and not try weaning, so just mentioning this to show some of the differences in how bp was approached.

I hope you find something that works!!

ch3lsea

Postby ch3lsea » Mon Jul 30, 638942 2:23 am

:( I'm sorry your going through this! My bp's are still high, even on medication. I'm only 2 and a half weeks PP but I'm terrified my blood pressures will never stabalize...and I'm only 22 years old! :( It's so scary and frustrating...I really hope they can find the right medication to help your bp's and that your bp's eventually get back to normal!! Have you thought about acupuncture?? I've been thinking about trying it lately, although the $ is keeping me from doing it right now since insurance doesn't cover it.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”