New to Forum - Just diagnosed with mild PE

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
ktdwll

Re : New to Forum - Just diagnosed with mild PE

Postby ktdwll » Sat Sep 15, 638942 2:59 pm

Gina,

Good luck and glad you are seeming to being monitored closely. My daughter is a PE and HELLP Survivor. My granddaughter is a 14 month old happy healthy baby. Mad sulf wasn't fun. My daughter was but on it after delivery. Hers happened within like 4 hours before the abdominal pain and delivery and we are so thankful for our outcome and these forums. They are a tremedous help. Good luck.

Diane

snazzygina

Postby snazzygina » Wed Sep 05, 638942 4:57 am

So, I had to go in today because my morning bp reading was 145/100! The nurse called me to get my numbers and told me to go to labor and delivery. I also had HORRIBLE pitting on my legs. lots and lots of swelling. They observed me for about 3-4 hours and LUCKILY MY doctor was on call that day and was there. It was so great that she was the one on call that today. Well, luckily they did some labs and they all came back good. AND, my BPs went down to 125/75. For some reason my bps are always high in the morning. I think that's weird. I just took it right now and it was 130/75. Crazy. Anyhow, I'm hopeful that I can get to 37/38 weeks. I'd LOVE to be able to make it that far.
I'm loving this forum and all the great advice. I also love reading other's stories. Makes me feel not so alone in this struggle. It's crazy, but 5 weeks feels like an ETERNITY right now. Yeesh.

snazzygina

Postby snazzygina » Fri Aug 24, 638942 2:26 am

I did have two shots of steroids while I was in the hospital, just in case. We'll see what happens, but I'm very hopeful that I can make it to 37 weeks IF my symptoms don't worsen. So far, no headaches and no blurred vision or upper gastric pain at all.

I'm a pretty tough cookie so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to hang with the mag...ESP if I know it's good for me and the baby.

This is definitely my last pregnancy, though. I'll be 37 at the end of this year. :) I definitely do not want to go through this again.

jessicag

Postby jessicag » Fri Aug 24, 638942 2:14 am

Hi! Your current pregnancy sounds exactly like what I went through with my son. Went into the hospital at 31 weeks because of crazy BP stayed a day and a half. Did you get steroid shots for the baby's lungs? I also had to go into weekly appointments for NST's, BP checks, and blood draws. I made it to 37 weeks on bedrest before my BP got bad, and was induced then (it failed). I was on mag for 48 hours and I will be honest, it sucked. It affects everyone differently, but for me I felt like a wet noodle (which is exactly what my doctor said it would do). I could not control my muscles enough to type an email. I could not get out of bed because as soon as I got the IV, they put in a catheter. It made me feel very flushed and pretty crummy. I am not trying to scare you, so I hope I am not! Mag was a pretty crummy experience, but the final outcome of a healthy baby and healthy momma was absolutely worth it.

mrshallinohio

Postby mrshallinohio » Thu Aug 23, 638942 10:54 pm

Hi! I'm glad you've already made it another week and a half since being diagnosed. That's great! You must have been thrilled to leave the hospital. I'm on Day 6 of hospital bedrest and was 35 weeks on Saturday, so we're not too far apart. We have 9 other children. Seven of those are by birth and 2 by adoption. My pregnancies were good up until the last two. With Susanna (4.5yo), I had PIH and Gestational Diabetes. I had a c-section at 38 weeks and all went smoothly. With Benjamin (almost 2yo), I had Gestational Diabetes, but my bp was good throughout my pregnancy. Then I had a prenatal on a Monday and all looked good and I woke up on Tuesday with fullblown preeclampsia. It was SCARY!!! However, since I was 15 days before my due date, they went ahead and did the c-section that day and besides the 24 hours of yucky Magnesium Sulfate, all was good.

snazzygina

New to Forum - Just diagnosed with mild PE

Postby snazzygina » Thu Aug 23, 638942 7:50 pm

I'm new to the forum. I'm 33 weeks today. Due date is November 4, 2010. I was diagnosed with mild PE at 31 weeks 4 days. I was hospitalized for one night due to protein in my urine, but then released the next day because my pressures seemed to stabilize with rest. At first they were telling me that I wasn't going to be able to leave, but soon after they said I could leave because my bps were doing so well. I still have the protein in my urine. The last 24hr test was 426, so not too terrible. My goal is to make it to 36 or 37 weeks. This is my 4th baby.
My first DD was born 7/3/00 and I was diagnosed with PIH at 34 weeks. I was induced with her at 37 weeks to the day with mildly high bps in the 155/90 range. My son was born at 38 weeks 3 days. I had a few high BPs but I was also in labor when I went into my appt. Dilated to 4 and 80%. So, they just induced me.
My 3rd pregnancy was my second DD. She was born at 36weeks 3 days. I had a HUGE fibroid that was causing me lots of pain. I had had high bps earlier in the pregnancy but they went way down by the time I was in labor. They did an US and found that my placenta was aged and starting to calcify! But, I was already in labor. When I got in there I was dilated to 2 and 2 hours later I was at 4...so they just let me go.
I never spilled any protein in my urine with any of the others...until this one.

I'm loving this forum and I'm getting lots of really great information on what to watch for and what symptoms to look for in case I get worried. I'm on the doctor's hypertension watch program. I have a perinatologist nurse that calls me every morning for my bp, protein check and kick count. I'm also doing NSTs 2x per week, having my blood drawn 1x per week and seeing my doctor 1x per week.

Thanks again...just wanted to share my story. Seems like so many of you have gone through the same stuff.

The only thing I'm afraid of is the mag sulfate. They said I'd most likely have to have at least 12 hours of the stuff when they induce me to avoid seizures. I've never had it before but I hear it's awful. Oh well, the goal is a healthy baby... that is all I want. Healthy baby and a healthy momma.
:)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”