5k- would you?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mrss

Re : 5k- would you?

Postby mrss » Wed Sep 26, 638942 5:56 pm

What are your healthcare provider's guidelines for "modified bedrest?" For my OB/GYN, it meant I could shower and lie back down, then eat dinner and lie back down and go to appointments and lie back down, etc. I didn't have to be completely horizontal, but exercise, housework, etc. were out of the question. I did some simple yoga stretches to help relieve muscle aches, but that's about it. Other OBs are not that strict about modified bedrest and only want you to spend so many hours a day resting. What have you and your OB discussed?

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Sat Sep 15, 638942 9:48 am

The lack of training as a consequence of the modified bedrest would make me extremely cautious regardless of BP issues. Now that you're into your 3rd trimester all that relaxin is softening ligaments and tendons etc. Combine that with increasing bulk and altered center of gravity and I would be very concerned for the consequences to my stride, balance and hips!!! If you aren't currently in regular training, you really can't anticipate how you might feel.

I danced (ballet) through two pregnancies, including my HELLP one. I made it through (albeit modified re: jumps/turns) until 30-34 weeks. The precipitating factor in the stopping was an enforced break of a week for teacher vacation. I could adjust to my physical changes in class when they were every couple of days, stop for a week and things had just moved around too much for me to get back on track.

Either way, the person I'd be asking is the one evaluating your BP etc. I presume that your OB assumes that you are working together in a partnership and anticipates that you'd consult with him or her on something like this.

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Sat Sep 15, 638942 6:23 am

When I started to get high pressures and was considered PIH due to no protein yet, I kept exercising, but I was only walking at that point (or doing very light strength training)...in other words very mild forms of exercise. My doctor did not ask me to rest, quit exercise or anything. I do not think my continued exercise had any role in my eventual pre-e--that was going to happen anyway.

alsgirl2002

Postby alsgirl2002 » Sat Sep 15, 638942 5:02 am

Sorry, didn't realize you were on bedrest with mild pre-e. Stupid fuzzy head of mine. I'd say no excercize then. No walking, no running - sorry. I read somewhere that excercize is a def no-no while hypertensive. I stopped excercizing when I started feeling hypertensive, even though my BPs didn't really confirm. Maybe your friend can just hang with you for the weekend to keep you company =)

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Sep 15, 638942 4:40 am

Jules, the OP's been diagnosed, she says. :)

But no, I don't think they've said much about exercise with a history.

alsgirl2002

Postby alsgirl2002 » Sat Sep 15, 638942 3:42 am

I'm not a runner, but this pregnancy I was walking 6-7 days per week up till about 20w, and after that still walking periodically, going to the gym lifting weights and doing cardio till the end of august when I really started feeling crappy. I would say if you haven't been running, don't start up again, but you certainly could walk.

leftcoastgirl

Postby leftcoastgirl » Sat Sep 15, 638942 2:13 am

I have been training for a marathon coming up in 3 weeks, since last winter. I found out I was pregnant about 6-7 weeks before the marathon and my doc said he did not want me running it (or doing the 35+ miles of running I had been doing each week). I know as much as you don't want to disappoint your friend, i'm sure she will understand. If you are on any kind of "modified" bed rest, then I vote no.

jules2

Postby jules2 » Sat Sep 15, 638942 1:46 am

Actually Caryn, the experts didn't really say much here - and most women probably wouldn't want to do a lot after diagnosis anyway. I actually managed to swim 2000m the day before I got diagnosed, but swiftly became to ill (and was hospitalised) after that anyway.

It might be helpful to know what the experts thought about exercise during pregnancy for those with previous histories of severe PE? Have they commented on that?

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Sep 14, 638942 5:44 pm

Here is what the Experts have said about exercise after diagnosis: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18165

jules2

Postby jules2 » Fri Sep 14, 638942 5:30 pm

I run competitively and continued racing up to about 8 weeks - but I was in very good shape before pregnancy and did not race further than about 5km. I'm sure that had no ill-effects on me or the baby.

I would be more cautious if you are not really trained though.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”