2+ glucose @ 26 weeks

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
beth0277

Re : 2+ glucose @ 26 weeks

Postby beth0277 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:38 am

Hi Jules, I just wanted to let you know I had a similar situation. I dipped positive for glucose around 25 weeks (not sure of the #) and at 28 weeks failed my 1 and 3 hour tests so I was positive for GD. I only had to modify my diet and test frequently, luckily I was able control it without medication.

I did end up getting PE 5 days PP. I have also read there is a correlation between the two.

Hopefully it is just a fluke for you and you do not have GD.

Best wishes!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : 2+ glucose @ 26 weeks

Postby caryn » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:35 am

Jules, they raise risk of each other -- GDM raises risk of PE, and PE raises risk of GDM. GDM is probably a placental strategy to manipulate sugar supply to the baby so it makes sense to me that they would go together. It's likely adaptive.

jules2

2+ glucose @ 26 weeks

Postby jules2 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:55 am

Hi there,

Had appointment this morning - no PE yet (hooray!) but did find 2+ sugar in urine. I know that sugar in urine can flucuate "normally" and does not mean I will necessarily be diagnosed with gestational diabetes - or at least not yet - but I've never had this before. Am waiting more test results now.

Just wondering if it was common for women with previous PE to also develop GDM? I know how to control gestational diabetes with diet and exercise - but I'm already doing all that stuff pretty well, so not sure what else I could do myself :-(

I'm not too worried, just wondering

Thanks

Jules

Return to “Ask the Experienced”