Is this considered labile bp's? new at this...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
brandib

Re : Is this considered labile bp's? new at this...

Postby brandib » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:12 am

Well, you sound a lot like I was with my last pregnancy! Even though I had major high BP's, hyperreflexes, clonus in my feet, seeing spots etc, SEVERE HEADACHE the MfM wouldn't diagnose official PE because my protein count never hit over 250 this go around. Now, I had a baseline protein done early in pregnancy and they could see that the protein was going up, but never past 300. Although, once I delivered and my last protein was like almost zero, and my reflexes were normal again and no more everything else, you get the point, at my six week check up my head MfM and her fellow ( mfm in training) said " wow, it was preeclampsia."( I still have BP issues though) I had everything minus 300mg of protein. They then informed me that several times after I left and sometimes days later they would still be saying " what are we gonna do with Brandi!" and that they had and I quote " played chicken with my life." Now, they are EXCELLENT doctors but sometimes, patients can throw a curve ball at doctors----even specially trained ones :0)

Your BP's are so crazy I don't think I've ever read or heard about BP's THAT labile. Yes, they are very labile! Half way through my pregnany I was admitted with a BP of 153/103 and other symptoms, only to have my BP drop to 80's/40's with 200mg of Labetelol. Towards the end of my pregnancy I was on 400mg three times a day and Norvasc once a day. So I'm assuming you're around 37 weeks if you said you've been having symptoms since around 35 weeks??? I think you need to just be delivered! Say its not PE, those pressures are still very dangerous for a number of reasons. Let us know!

alsgirl2002

Postby alsgirl2002 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 08:57 am

I know the typical diagnosis requires protein AND high BP, but I have a very conservative MFM who believes that as long as you have high BP and one other symptom - headache, protein, nausea...then you have pre-e.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:47 pm

With the needle stick dropping your pressures -- yes, this happens to me too. It's called "vasovagal syncope."

I do not like those high pressures. They are just as dangerous as preeclampsia with proteinuria, because you're at just as high a risk of stroke. When are you seen next? Honestly, with pressures like that, I'd go straight to L&D and say hey, I'm severely gestationally hypertensive, can you run some bloodwork and check on the baby and check my reflexes? Pressures like that raise your risk of abruption dramatically and you're basically at term, so there's no point to pushing it.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Thu Sep 23, 2010 01:58 am

Unless you are a nurse/healthcare professional who knows how to properly take your pressures while lying down, they should be taken while sitting upright with feet flat on the ground. It's really tricky to take an accurate reading lying down by yourself, or with help; they are usually falsely low. Those on strict bedrest my have other instructions. Make sure you are taking them after sitting still for a couple of minutes. Ideally, you would take them at the same times every day so that it's easier to spot problems. Hope that helps!

sammi8265

Postby sammi8265 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 06:51 pm

any suggestions?

sammi8265

Postby sammi8265 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 05:47 pm

I forgot to add i take my pressures while lying down on left side (when i get the lowest reading usually) and then while I'am sitting they will be 130-140/69-80 and when Iam standing they go up. I'am not sure if it is the standing that makes it rise or the actual activity (walking,etc) I have only had 4 really high readings though....177/103, 155/99, 190/106, and 155/106. The rest of them bounce around. Recently I did have a major DROP in blood pressure...i was getting my blood drawn and then afterwards i felt really sweaty,dizzy,and seen spots like i was gonna pass out, then I layed down nurse took my blood pressure and it was 63/39 again Iam not on any medications. My pressures are just going crazy. The docs did those heart tests after the drop in bp which all was normal...so they say its gotta be the needle stick that caused the drop in bp. I see the doc once a week w/ weekly fetal monitoring too.

sammi8265

Postby sammi8265 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 05:31 pm

Well they sent me to the hospital triage unit after the 190/106 pressure. I took my bp machine to the dr office the same day so they could make sure it was accurate...their reading was actually slightly higher than my machine only by 2-3pts though...very similar readings. I'am not on any medications, only the normal vitamins. The doc said today that she suspects it is a little pre-e possibly but the diagnostic 300 for protein is not there so its not official. they say i have gestational hypertenstion. However i do have an adrenal issue..which I will continue to bring up and ask questions...however my endocrinologist did not seem to concerned. I also had a echo/ekg done to check my heart and all was normal. I go from feeling fine to feeling woozy to having a headache to it oing away within 5 minutes..my symptoms come and go. The day my pressure was 190/106 i didnt feel that sick, but i did have a massive headache and a tad bit woozy. As soon as i got to triage my bp was 136/88 so it was fine when I was lying down. I guess my question is is that a "normal" finding in pre-e/gestation hypertension to have increasing bp upon walking/standing? I'am honestly nervous about the pressure andknow that only helps it to continue to rise. I haven't been like this the whole pregnancy though. Only since 35 weeks or so. thanks in advance for taking time to read this and respond.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue Sep 21, 2010 04:55 pm

It could be considered labile. Normally a 10-20 point fluctuation can be normal, but 124's to 190's is a big difference. It also depends on the calibration of your machine, how you are taking your pressures, and if you are on meds or not. What did your doctors think of the 190/106 reading? That's very high.

Many people don't have symptoms of high blood pressure though, so I would report your dizzy spells and headaches to the doctor. Dizziness can be from the massive blood volume that is normal with pregnancy, but with your symptoms and pressures it's worth reporting ANYthing different or new. How often are you being seen?

sammi8265

Is this considered labile bp's? new at this...

Postby sammi8265 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 04:24 pm

Hi everyone...I'am new here and new at the high blood pressure issues in pregnancy too. I have read some of the posts here. Just need some clarification though. My bps are either normal or high while lying down. I'am currently on bedrest and my bps are all over. They range from 103/59 to 165/90 while in bed now the moment I get up and walk around do activities etc they skyrocket. Is this still labile? or whats up with the skyrocketing upon activity/walking? Just from driving to the doctors appt upon their check i was 190/106. That morning before leaving I was 124/76..lying on couch. Another episode i had took a shower, got dizzy...got a nosebleed, got out took bp was 155/106...10 min later after lying down it was 140/88...does anyone else experience such dramatic rises in bp upon walking/activity or atleast heard of it occuring? I have been tested for PE but my protein is 240..still under the 300 range. However my 24hr protein was 190 2 wk ago so its slowly going up. All other labs are normal for platlets/liver function. I get dizzy periodically and have headaches which i imagine is from the bp flucuating so often. Any responses would be great, thanks.

Sammi

Return to “Ask the Experienced”