Too much medication....

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
brandib

Re : Too much medication....

Postby brandib » Mon Sep 27, 2010 04:05 pm

Wow Korie----what does your BP average? How high does it spike and how often??? Have you had PE before???? I'm still battling my BP at four month PP.

korie

Postby korie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 01:57 pm

Patty, Not sure what my protein is. I know it isn't to pre-e level yet, but she didn't tell me if I had any. So it is mainly the hypertension. I am a little surprised I am not on bed rest either. I can't do much with all these pills and I suspect it is partially because since the big increase over the past week, I have only talked to my doctor through the nurse. She can be pretty scattered/busy and then on top of it, I am getting it all passed through another person. It is frustrating to say the least, but I am in a small town and she is the most experienced doctor in the area. If I have one more increase, Aldomet is at 500 and when it is upped to 1000, I will see a Peri again. At that point my care may be transfered over. I would rather not rush into that because it means a LOT of long drives to a hospital far away.

patty

Postby patty » Mon Sep 27, 2010 02:01 am

I was not on the max doses long a week or less maybe before I had to be delivered.They would up my dose sometimes every day or two until I reached the max. I was on hospital bed rest for a month with Randall (about 3 weeks with Raleigh)and had full blown pre-e. Do you have any protein or is mainly just chronic hypertension at this point? I am surprised they don't have you on bed rest anyway to try and help keep your pressures down. Good Luck and keep us posted.

korie

Postby korie » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:38 pm

Missgamecock, thank you. Your story makes me feel slightly better that there is hope since my situation sounds very similar. No worries, I would not push to 36 weeks unless I really thought I could do it. At this point, I have let go of my hopes of full term baby and am just hoping for baby who has a fighting chance. 32 weeks would really make me happy, but it does feel so far away.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sun Sep 26, 2010 08:37 pm

Did the zofran help at all? It kept me from puking, which I was throwing up several times a day with Sara from before the test turned positive and until I had an emergency D&C 8 days after she was born.
So you mostly had issues with BP? Kirsten - severe pe and partial hellp. I had nasty looking labs. My platelets were normal. Liver enzymes sky high, uric acid very high, blood was not clotting, last count right before they induced was 5250mg of protein in a 24 hour that was done 3 days before she was born. Kirsten was the only one that I was hospitalized with on hospital bedrest. That moved to delivery 2 days later. I was in the maternity ICU area. I had mild pe at 22-24 weeks with her, moved to severe at 35 weeks. Delivered at 36 weeks. With Sara, bp went up early. Kept adding meds and then bedrest. I was on fulltime bedrest by 26 weeks. I quit working from home at 30 weeks.

I had severe pih with Sara. max bp meds. Emergency induction due to decels at the peri's office plus my bp was CRAZY - 160-170/120-130! There comes a point meds stop working and they just deliver. Which is what they did with her. Same with Sara - 22 weeks it started.

Cate - immediate bedrest started at 5 weeks - one day a week at home for work. 13 weeks increased meds and 2 days a week at home. 22 weeks taken out of work for fulltime wah in bed. 30 weeks, off of wah and full time bedrest doing nothing but laying on my left side. 34 weeks 6 days, bp starts going crazy despite meds. Peri wanted to deliver. I refused. I agreed to induction and amnio with delivery right at 36 weeks. That was a really scary week for me. I would not recommend it. I wanted to give her more time and hold onto that hope of a full term baby. A fullterm baby is not worth it if you or the baby dies. Turned out to be the right decision to deliver when they did because I became severe pe when I was induced. Crazy bps of 160/120ish....
When did your BP get more severe? jumped at 22-24 weeks, then 30 weeks, meds no longer control between 34-36 weeks.
Were you ever on hospital bed rest? Only with Kirsten. I live in a very small town. I was being seen weekly by my peri and ob. I was to call him after hours if ANYTHING was wrong. The staff was made aware of me cause anytime I called, they went and got him for an answer. At the time my ob was solo practice. So I could call afterhours and he would be the one that called me back. Had I been at a big university hospital, I have no doubt they would have put me on hospital bedrest... My small community hospital does not have that. I was one of their best patients according to the nurses. I had my bps logged in and charted for them with any comments regarding any wierd symptoms. They knew I would call if something was up.

korie

Postby korie » Sun Sep 26, 2010 06:29 pm

Patty, How long, after you were on the highest doses, did you make it in your pregnancy? How long were you on hospital bed rest? I am seeing that in my near future. :/ Part of me is glad for it because of getting closely monitored when I need it and another part is worried about all I have going on at hom.

patty

Postby patty » Sun Sep 26, 2010 03:17 pm

It sounds like you are on the max for the Procardia and labetalol. I was on doses that high my last couple of pregnancy but I was in the hospital on bedrest and would still have to nap every afternoon after I took meds.

korie

Postby korie » Sun Sep 26, 2010 01:23 am

Trish, I will be 24 weeks pregnant on Monday. I just started the aldomet yesterday. Today I was running as low as 122/78 and tonight I am 138/96. I am suppose to double the aldomet to 1000 mg when my bottom number gets above 100. I am concerned how little effect the aldomet is having.

Missgamecock,
Did the zofran help at all? So you mostly had issues with BP? When did your BP get more severe? Were you ever on hospital bed rest? sorry, lots of questions, but you sound like you had similar issues to what I am going through. I had this problem last time as well, but I was so much farther along.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:08 pm

Yes I was with Sara and Cate. With Sara I was on 2000mg of Aldomet and 90mg of procardia, plus 2 fiorinal every 6 hours for the headaches, and zofran 3 times a day when I was pregnant with Sara.

With Cate I was on the max of 10mg of ziac and 60mg of procardia, plus the two fiorinal every 6 hours and compazine and reglan every day.

I could not function on it which is why I was on bedrest.

trish9

Postby trish9 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:03 pm

Korie,
What kind of blood pressures and heart rates are you running on these meds? Also, are you currently pregnant?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”