IUGR?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alsgirl2002

Re : IUGR?

Postby alsgirl2002 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 08:39 am

Thanks Kara, I do understand that growth measurements are inaccurate. She did do the scan really fast. I wouldn't really be concerned if it wasn't such a significant drop - 25%. That and the fact that I had not gained any weight - and not for lack of trying! I gained 3lbs over the weekend which I'm watching since I feel like I'm swelling.

They did not measure my belly, I wish she had done that at my OB appt. I will keep you guys posted, my next appt isn't until 10/8, unless of course, things go bad, then I'll end up in L&D.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Mon Sep 27, 2010 01:13 am

Growth measurements, especially as you get farther along, becomes as much art as they are science. Meaning, they aren't very accurate as the baby starts getting all curled up in there. I believe the official definitions for growth problems are this: SGA (small for gestational age=10%tile or less, IUGR=5%tile or less, and severe IUGR below 3%tile. Why so low before they get real concerned? Because babies grow in fits and spurts, not always as smooth and nicely as our made up growth charts show they should. Some babies will grow a lot in the beginning and then taper off, or vice versa. They typically only check growth every 4 weeks unless there is something major going on, because it's difficult to measure much difference in less than 4 weeks. Sometimes it's just the difference in the U/S techs.

But babies aren't loosing weight, they may just be growing slower or not gaining as much weight. My DD was on track at 21 weeks, and at 29 weeks completely stopped growing and was born two weeks later at the 2nd percentile. The day before I delivered they still predicted her weight to be a whole pound more than she was....and this can go in the opposite direction, too....because it's not super accurate at that point in pregnancy. This is why they don't usually change a due date after 9 or 10 weeks, because growth fluctuates and they are less accurate then very early on.

So this drop is certainly worth them following you closely, but may very well be normal for your baby or even an U/S error. Let us know how it goes next appt! We will cross our fingers that growth is staying on track. P.s. Did they take your belly measurements? Were those on track?

alsgirl2002

Postby alsgirl2002 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 09:56 pm

My visits are already every 2 weeks. The dr originally wanted to see me again next week, but since he was out he just wanted me to email my BPs. I am ok with that since in my experience, its not good to get too many drs involved. Way too many opinions can confuse matters.

It just makes me sick to think that I might have to watch my baby be so affected by this disease. To go from 90th percentile to 10th or less...that's just sick. I hope it doesn't get that bad. Last time around my baby wasn't affected significantly - she was small at birth, but was always small. I really hope this is just a one time slow down in growth.

aggie95mom

Postby aggie95mom » Sun Sep 26, 2010 05:15 pm

Are you having growth checks every 4 weeks or so? My MFM has checked growth every 4 weeks and my baby girl's growth (due NLT 3 weeks by scheduled c-section) has slowed down from around 60% to 40%. I go for my next growth check on Tuesday and the MFM said they worry when the growth drops below 10% (I'm sure every practice is different, though). His opinion to me was that there would usually be other factors in play, too, than just the growth to warrant delivery ... i.e. my labs, blood pressure, maybe dopplers, that would probably indicate I was starting to get sick.

korie

Postby korie » Sun Sep 26, 2010 04:10 pm

Do you have another ultra sound scheduled? I would assume another significant drop would warrent more monitoring for IUGR. I am not sure if they must be between 5-15th percentile. I am assuming that how far along you are would make a very big difference as well. If you are earlier, they will push you farther and maybe not push you as far if your are farther along.

alsgirl2002

IUGR?

Postby alsgirl2002 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 02:13 pm

When do they diagnose IUGR? I have heard that its when growth is anywhere within 5-15th percentile. But what if your baby was growing in the 90th percentile until 28w, and then started having serious reductions. This visit at 30w, he's down to 65th precentile. What if he keeps having these type of reductions? Do they deliver at some point? I wish I had found out how much weight he had actually gained. I asked but my tech was being b!tchy that day and wouldn't give me exact answers, she said "oh, I would have to look that up." Seriously how hard is it? she's clearly not my favorite on the staff.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”