anyone had a baby early and what happened?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jacobkaden

Re : anyone had a baby early and what happened?

Postby jacobkaden » Sat Oct 02, 2010 02:35 pm

As the others have said, the outcomes are really variable at this stage of gestation. If you can hold off to 28 weeks, that is said to be a big milestone. I only lasted 4 days from admission to hospital and in reflecting back, close to 2 weeks exactly from when my symptoms started. Our little guy survived and has ongoing health and developmental issues. He is the LOVE of my life and I am very lucky to have him. We both came close to losing our lives. This is a horrible, horrible disease. Hoping you can hang on for many more weeks.

kristal1213

Postby kristal1213 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:03 am

It gives me hope that you can still carry the baby for weeks after symptoms start. I have read that the average time from onset to delivery is 2 weeks, yikes. I just wish I could be more prepared.

naomihope427

Postby naomihope427 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 09:54 am

I was admitted at 25 weeks ended up being in hospital that first time for 2 weeks. My doctor was freaking because of my high level of protein, 560. He gave me steriod injections that time, and just watched me, I was let go after things were okay, but ended up back 3 more times before eventually delivering BUT i made it to 34 w and 6 days! I was so very scared but I knew I had those injections on board and even a "rescue me dose" of steriods I had gotten at 32 weeks. But if it is up in your urine, the steriods will do great, just gotta keep getting days on with it, my doctor always told me "each day your pregnant is 2 days less in nicu". but I hated hering that I just dreaded going back in to the nicu.

I hope your urine isnt high with protein, keep us updated!! best of luck to you sweetie!

jamilyn

Postby jamilyn » Thu Sep 30, 2010 00:38 am

every baby is different. My husbands cousin just delivered at 27 weeks and her daughter didnt even have to be on any kind of oxygen or anything for the most part just a feeder and a grower... My last son I delivered still born at 25 weeks due to a placental abruption. My 1st son I delivered at 27 weeks due to Eclampsia and HELLP and my son lived a week before he found out he had a brain hemorrage that was too bad to do anything about. It is a known fact that little girls do better then preemie boys. (my 35 weeker was on a vent for 2 days) A lot has changed since 9 years ago when I had my 1st son and the NICU's have so much more to help the micro preemies.
Best of luck

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:05 pm

The steroids shots are probably the best things you can do to help the baby if you have to deliver very soon. Otherwise, follow your doctors advice whether it be bp meds, bedrest, etc. I hope that you still have many more weeks of pregnancy ahead of you!

korie

Postby korie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 09:03 pm

I am not sure about week 26 and 27, that is sort of the inbetween stage. There is a decent chance at survival at this point, but also a great chance for long term health issues. Hopefully, you can hold off until at least 28 weeks. At that point, there is a 90% survival rate and I know of others who have had no long term health issues with babies born then. A huge factor would be if your baby thrives until then. If you have IUGR, that is going to make a difference too.

After 30 weeks, it seems like a lot of babies do well long term. Most of the people I know who have babies after that point (who weren't dealing with IUGR or other placenta issues) have healthy kids. My son was in the NICU for 6 weeks and had no set backs while there. It was just a steady progression until he was released. Another friend of mine who had a baby at 28 weeks, her son has no long term health issues and was in the hospital for 8 weeks I believe. Having a premature baby is so scary, but it is reassuring to know that babies can be born so early and still just fine after their NICU stay.

kristal1213

Postby kristal1213 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 08:06 pm

Is there anything I can do to help make sure my little girl is as healthy as possible if she gets hear early?

kristal1213

anyone had a baby early and what happened?

Postby kristal1213 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 07:20 pm

I am 26 weeks and worried that my PE will strike again. My B/P is up and done with a 24hr urine, find out more on Friday. Doc said if there is protein in my urine he will admit me and start me on steroids. My question is has anyone had a baby this early, and what was the outcome?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”