prognosis at 24 weeks?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jamilyn

Re : prognosis at 24 weeks?

Postby jamilyn » Tue Oct 05, 2010 03:04 am

So sorry you are having to experience this with your daughter. I always worried about my Mom while I was pregnant and especially once I was admitted in the hospital cause I knew I was her little girl who just wanted to be able to fix everything and couldnt. The best you can do is be supportive of her and it sounds like you are.
In my opinion like other womens here is that early onset is by far the worst. It does sound like she has an amazing staff looking after her and the baby. She has to listen to her body and when she feels "off" she has to speak up and get whatever checked she can at that moment. My 1st pregnancy I delivered at 27 weeks after 4 days of bedrest at the hospital due to an eclamptic seizure and HELLP, then my 2nd I made it to 35 weeks and my 3rd I was diagnosed at 23 weeks and admitted the same day to the hospital with PE then delivered my 2nd little angel, stillborn at 25 weeks gestation due to a complete placental abruption with no signs or symptoms.
I hope she is able to stay in the hospital and continue to stay stable for at least 28 weeks.

ch3lsea

Postby ch3lsea » Tue Oct 05, 2010 01:09 am

Jane- this sounds alot like my situation. I was put in the hospital at 25 weeks because of restricted blood flow and pre-e. I got daily ultrasounds and fetal monitors, they kept my daughter inside as long as they could. When I was 26.3weeks my blood pressure went sky high and they did an emergency c-section. It is good that she is in the hospital where the doctors can monitor her closely...as much as I HATED being in the hospital, I am grateful that my OB sent me there because the doctors saved my life and my my daughters. My baby is still in the NICU,, but doing pretty well considering the circumstances.

As far a what you can do to help your daughter, when I was in the hospital nothing really made me feel better. I was scared and didn't want anyone besides my husband and parents to be around me. I was straight out told by the doctors that I they would not let me go past 32 weeks...so I knew I was going to have a preemie no matter what. So I asked to speak to a neonatologist and get a tour of the NICU...I liked to learn as much as I could that way I could be prepared, well as much as I could prepare for something like this. I don't know if that would help your daughter or make her more nervous...for me it helped. My prayers are with your daughter tonight, I hope that she can stay pregnant as long as possible!

rosemary
Forum Moderator

Postby rosemary » Tue Oct 05, 2010 00:05 am

Jane...good thoughts and prayers are with your family.

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Mon Oct 04, 2010 09:37 pm

I have a positive story to share with you and your daughter. I was diagnosed with severe pe during my last pregnancy. I was only 22 weeks along. I also had some liver involvement. I was told by my doctor that I may have to consider terminating the pregnancy. It was the scariest time of my life. I was then put on strict bedrest for the duration of the pregnancy. Although I was not able to make it to full term, I was able to stay pregnant until 33 weeks. My daughter spent only 5 days in the NICU and is now a very healthy, happy, and smart 3 year old. Stories like mine are probably not the norm but, there are people like me out there who have good outcomes. Keep us updated.

jules2

Postby jules2 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:54 am

This is so so hard Jane - early onset pre-eclampsia is the worst in my opinion, and my thoughts are with you and your family. I had a really bad outcome at 25-26 weeks, but my case was much worse than the "norm" and I am hoping for the best for your daughter and her baby. I think you just need to spend time with your daughter and try to keep her positive at this awful time; there is definitely still hope; however you might all be feeling.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:53 am

We will all be thinking of you and your Daughter! HUGS!!

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:27 am

I wish i had some words of wisdom of what exactly to do for your daughter. I guess each situation and person are different. I had a 3 year old at home during the time I was in the hospital so a lot of the time my husband, parents, and mother in law had was devoted to her. I wouldn't have had it any other way though. I think the best thing you can do is just to let her know that you get the seriousness of it. I sometimes felt like my family didn't get how sick I really was. I wanted them to be optimistic but also to be realisitc. I cannot imagine how hard it must be as a parent because you are worried about your baby and your grandbaby. Please make sure your daughter gets the steroid injections in case she does have to be delivered. If she doesn't have to be delivered soon then they will not do any harm. If she can even make it to 28 weeks then that would be fantastic! I will be thinking of you guys often and praying for an outcome better than you can even imagine at this moment!

sarah0381

Postby sarah0381 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 08:48 am

Prayers are coming your way!!!!

jane101

Postby jane101 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 07:35 am

to jamie w - thank you for your response. any suggestions you can make as to how we can best support our daughter would be greatly appreciated. your babies are beautiful.

jane101

Postby jane101 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 07:29 am

my daughter is still at the labor unit in a major hospital with a large maternal fetal medicine staff. she is being monitored 24/7 and she is now about 24 weeks 6 days. her blood pressure is responding to meds but she is receiving daily ultrasounds and baby will be delivered immediately at first sign of instability. this was her fifth night at the hospital and it is very difficult to stay upbeat because we are so afraid for her and the baby. I want to thank everyone who has posted thus far - the information I received has been critical in helping us understand this disease, gather the support we need, make medical decisions and help her in whatever way we can (we have a 24 hour vigil with her husband, dad and mom and many others providing support outside the hospital). our approach as family has been to keep her calm and loved and hopeful and luckily so far the disease has not progressed and she and baby are stable. pray for us.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”