prognosis at 24 weeks?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : prognosis at 24 weeks?

Postby caryn » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:20 am

Jane, I'm glad to hear that your daughter is doing better and your grandson is in NICU getting good care!

pennyg

Postby pennyg » Sun Oct 10, 2010 02:14 am

Thinking of you and your family!

ktdwll

Postby ktdwll » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:06 pm

Jane,

My thoughts are with your family. I too am a grandmother who had to watch my daughter suffer with PE and HELLP. She thankfully didn't "get" it until 38 weeks, and although small Lille didn't require NICU. I hope the support group helps and if you ever want to talk you can email me.

Diane

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:57 pm

So glad to hear your daughter and grandson are doing well. No bad news *is* good news in the NICU!!

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:40 pm

Congratulations! I hope that everything goes well for you and your family from here on out!

jane101

Postby jane101 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 01:49 pm

I want to thank everyone for their prayers and good wishes. My daughter is now home and well on her way to recovery. She is still on medication but she is getting better every day. Many of our prayers have already been answered. Today our baby is 5 days old and although life in the NICU is terrifying we have received no bad news, which for us is good news. We joined a NICU counseling group and it has been very helpful. My hopes and prayers are with those who are also facing challenges - I wish you peace.

ch3lsea

Postby ch3lsea » Tue Oct 05, 2010 01:45 pm

Congrats on your grandson! I hope he continues to get stronger and healthier everyday! My daughter was 1lb 4oz at birth...she is still in the NICU and is now 2lbs 4oz. She has had many ups and downs, your grandson will probably experience that as well...the NICU is a rollercoaster, but never give up hope because these tiny babies are quite strong! If your daughter or you need somewhere to vent, ask questions or just need some support, I am part of this online preemie group.... http://www.inspire.com/groups/preemie/ It's free to join and I seriously don't know how I would be keeping sane during this journey without this group...these women are so knowledgeable and it's so nice to be able to talk to mom's who are going through or have gone through the NICU. <3 Sending prayers your way! :)

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 09:27 am

congrats on your grandson. Sending lots of prayers and thoughts for your family, grandson and daughter.

thaiba2000

Postby thaiba2000 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 07:00 am

Hi, Ive been following your story and im so happy to hear your grandchild has arrived and its a BOY! CONGRATULATIONS! Hope your daughter recovers well and im praying that the 'long road' ahead goes smoothly and joyfully for your grandson.

Please tell mummy a great big WELL DONE from us all!

Thaiba

jane101

Postby jane101 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 06:17 am

I am so grateful to everyone who has shared their stories of triumph and setbacks. I am happy to report that yesterday my daughter gave birth to a beautiful baby boy at exactly 25 weeks. This little miniature person weighed in at 1.7 pounds. The decision to deliver was made after the ultrasound revealed that the blood flow to the baby was diminishing. I am eternally grateful to her caring and compassionate, as well as brutally honest, medical team. They had the tough job of keeping my daughter alive (we had many, many close calls with high blood pressure spikes, baby heart rate spikes and almost unbearable gastric pain) while trying to bring us up to speed on what we had to do as a family to help the medical team do its job. My advice to those new to p-e is to learn all you can about it (mayo clinic site has very helpful information) and try to create a partnership with your medical team. You will not like much of what they will say, but try to listen - it will make sense later on. We learned that everyday in the womb counts and that the medical interventions that are available, intrusive and unnatural as they may feel, are essential for the best outcome possible. The steroids my daughter was given resulted in our baby boy being able to come out of the womb complaining loudly and breathing on his own. I know we have a very long road ahead of us but I am counting my blessings and I thank you again for your support.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”