PE in subsequent pregnancies

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
smccarter18

Re : PE in subsequent pregnancies

Postby smccarter18 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 06:53 pm

I had moderate pe with my first. It showed its ugly face right at 38 weeks and they immediately deliveredy daughter. With my second and third I had mild pe at the end again and was induced with both of them. I decided not to have anymore children after that and now I find myself pregnant again only this time my symptoms started to show up at 24 weeks. they went away at 27 weeks and now at 29 weeks they are coming back hard core.

jshell4871

Postby jshell4871 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 08:03 pm

Thank you!

beth0277

Postby beth0277 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 03:16 pm

Wow, Veronica...you are expecting your 8th? That is amazing! Congratulations!! I hope it continues to go well for you and that you escape PE this time. :)

jshell4871

Postby jshell4871 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 01:04 pm

Hi had PE with my first baby. After that I had 4 PE free pregnacies. Baby #6 I had Eclampsia at 29 weeks. DH had a vasectomy very shortly after her birth (5 weeks) he rushed into that and immediately regretted it. A few months later he had it reversed and we had baby #7 PE free. I am currently expecting #8 and have had PIH since 23 weeks but now at 34 weeks have not yet been diagnosed with PE. The vasectomy is a very personal decision and I won't say if someone should or shouldn't have one, just make sure it is what you really want to do.

mrss

Postby mrss » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:27 am

quote:Originally posted by amandaoasis

I think the stats of members here are a bit skewed because these boards possibly attract and keep those who have had a really rough time of it. Most women do not get PE again.

I think this is true. I did have it with my 2nd pregnancy, but I'm still glad we decided to have another child. DH and I agreed to not make any firm decisions about another child until DS was 2 years old and we had a preconception consult.

don_alvin

Postby don_alvin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 09:10 pm

It is our scheduled prenatal check-up on Sept23. Her expected delivery supposedly is on October 10, 2010. As a new parent, excitement is undeniable. Very well cared, check-ups, foods and etc with all the preparations..But sad to say, our first child who is a baby boy died in her mother's womb before my wife entered to the ultrasound room. My wife did not feel something wrong...All she knew the night before it happened, she noticed the baby is not moving routinely compared previously. My wife suffered severe pre-eclampsia with oligohydramnious abruptly last Sept. 23, 2010. After failure of inducing the baby on that day, a ceasarian operation was done on Sept 24 to get the baby. We are still in the healing process as of the moment.
We really want to have another baby to complete our parenthood. Btw, we are both 33 years of age residing here in the Philippines. But we have fear this dilemma might happen again...Can anyone help us? When is the right time (grace period) to have a possible baby? What are the precautions? Can my wife still be pregnant?

celticepona

Postby celticepona » Mon Oct 11, 2010 09:08 pm

Hi Beth. I am pregnant with my third. I had PE with both of my girls. My first pregnancy was scary bc I was going to an old school OB who did not treat me properly for PE and it spun out of control. Within 3 years were expecting Izzy. For her I went to a high risk peri who had experience dealing with PE. They put me on meds to control my bp and watched me like a hawk. When PE hit again @ 36 weeks they induced me immediatlely and put me back on meds postpartum to get my bp and swelling back under control. We are going back to them when I am 8 weeks. I am scared of course...I am pretty sure I will get PE again...but I feel confident in my doc they will do their best to keep me and the baby safe. Having another after having PE is a very scary desicion and not an easy one. I wish we were among those moms who could look at a pregnancy test every time and feel nothing but joy...but we are a special bunch. Hang in there and feel confident whatever desicion you make will be the right one.

sarah0381

Postby sarah0381 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:51 am

Hey Beth! You know my story, but I wanted to tell you I was told over and over by my obs and cardio that it wouldn't happen again. And if it did there were ways to quickly reverse it. They mentioned keeping me in the hospital longer after I had max to make sure things were ok. I was doing so well postpartum that they sent me on home in the short 48hrs you're there for a vaginal. It was 4 days after going home when it hit me again. The good thing was I knew all the signs and symptoms this time so as soon as I felt off I checked my bp and it was 180/110. I have been told no more babies, but for some reason I have a hard time with my husband or I getting permanently taken care of. My obs agree that we shouldn't jump the gun and just get an iud for the next few years. Then make the final decision...good luck to you and your hubby as you make yours!!!!

anonpreemiemom

Postby anonpreemiemom » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:31 pm

In 2005 I got it at 28 weeks (symptoms from 22 weeks) and was very very ill with Class I HELLP as well. Total train wreck of a pregnancy

Just delivered #2 on July 1st with absolutely zero signs of preeclampsia the entire time.

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 09:12 am

Having had pre-e once does increase your chances for the next pregnancy, and the forums here, though they may be skewed, attest to the fact that it is very possible to get it again. I can't say for sure but I am pretty confident I would get pre-e again since I am high 30's now, and my bp remained elevated postpartum for a little while. I just have that feeling...

As for you, of course it is up to you, and I am not saying this to scare you off....but my understanding was that those that went through an actual form of heart failure after delivery were at a high risk in general in their next pregnancy. I know some are told by their cardiologists not to get pregnant again, but I realize that there are different levels of severity and maybe yours wasn't so bad. I just wanted to mention that I think there is a difference between just pre-e and then those case of having pre-e and/or heart failure.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”