Baby Aidyn Back in hospital - Growing to hate PE

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
milesymommy

Re : Baby Aidyn Back in hospital - Growing to hate PE

Postby milesymommy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 04:14 pm

I'm sorry your dealing with all this! Your BP has improved a lot!

As far as the bili #s, at 2 weeks he can have higher #s. I remember having Miles checked after we had been home a couple days after he was treated and his bili #s were up. It was explained to me that the older they are, the more they can handle. I read it can be as high as 20 at 72 hrs.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/0215/p599.html

momof4as

Postby momof4as » Mon Oct 18, 2010 02:07 pm

I am so tired of this rollercoaster ride. Aidyn's bili is back up from 9.2 to 12.2 he is back on the lights. I just want to enjoy my new baby not be in a constant state of worry.

I saw my Dr today my BP's are good systolically (top number) they are ranging 115-128 but diastolically they are still 86-97.

Then I'm dealing with people I love gettig mad at me for not being able to do things like family gatherings and parties.

I give up....

mellybute

Postby mellybute » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:09 pm

I am glad to see your update. I am sooooooo sorry you had to be readmitted, but happy you and your docs are on top of it!!! PE is so tricky and especially the post partum period. It WILL get better I promise. It just takes awhile for some of us. I was twitching like a mad woman too when I was released the second time. Dont know if it was the mag or labetalol or what. It took me 3 months to feel like me again after this last pregnancy. Everyone is different. Just be easy on yourself at home and let your body heal. I am praying for an easier recovery for you and for behaving BP!!!!

HUGS and hang in there!!! Glad Aidyn's billi is resolving!!

aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Thu Oct 14, 2010 02:54 pm

Oh, keep praying and clinging to God! I just read through your blog post about sweet Aidyn. I hate to hear that your BPs are still high, but it's so great that you have an OB who really appreciates the fact that you need to still be monitored. I hope and pray you can both rest at home now!!

momof4as

Postby momof4as » Thu Oct 14, 2010 08:10 am

Well, if we can stay out of the hospital more than a couple days maybe I can enjoy my new baby.... I was admitted on Monday night with a BP of 183/102, I was restarted on Mag and Labetalol IV. they increased my oral dose to 300 mg three times a day. BP this am was 154/94. My Dr told me if they are still high on monday he is adding procardia. Can't take a diuretic because I'm BF. Aidyns doing well, he slept all night last night. His Bili is down to 9.2 and he is off the bili lights.

The hospital wouldnt let him stay with me the first night so he was taken home and my sister fed him 3oz of EBM each feeding. Tuesday my mom brought him up to the hospital and they stayed until I was Discharged late yesterday afternoon.

I will be so glad when this is over. My OB said he is still concerned, had neuro consult while in the hospital and the Dr said that my hyperreflexia was resoloving It got pretty bad again. So... I'm home on labetalol, Keflex (for infection) Visteral for the twitching, Motrin, Percocet (for headache) and flexeril to help with the tension caused from the hyperreflexia.

Ugggggggggggg I NEVER want to do this again.....

mellybute

Postby mellybute » Wed Oct 13, 2010 09:52 pm

Just reading this post and hoping for an update. I hope you called your doctor and let them know your bp is still so high. It sounds so similiar to my story and I was readmitted with severe PPPE. Your Labetalol may not be enough and perhaps they can add Norvasc and/or HCTZ (diuretic) to help with your swelling. I would want labs done just to make sure nothing was going wonky. It REALLY will get better I promise. I know those first few weeks for me were horrible recovering. If your labs are good then they may just need to add another med for awhile to help your bp calm down.

Sending you HUGS. Please give us an update when you can.

milesymommy

Postby milesymommy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 01:08 pm

I am so sorry you went through that! {{{HUGS}}} I am glad Aidyn is back home. And I completly understand.
I have a very similiar story. Miles was 4 weeks early due to PE/HELLP. He was healthy, 7 lbs, 6 oz, and came home in 2 days. When we were discharged, the nurse - and us - noticed he was a little yellow, but the nurse was confident it would be ok, plus we'd be back in 24 hours for a weight check. In hindsight, he did not fed well in the hospital, but we were so anxious to get home. They wouldn't let me hold him without my husband since I was on mag, and my husband wasn't there much, so Miles was in the nursery a lot of the time and I didn't get to BF him much, but he wouldn't take a bottle. I remember begging for the nurse to bring me my baby so I could BF him, and hours would go by without getting him. So needless to say, I couldn't wait to get home with him.
Anyway, the next morning, he had lost over a pound since birth and his bili #s were sky high. Obviously, we were readmitted and put under blue lights with an IV to get his fluid levels up. They had us go to the peds ward (not NICU) since we had been discharged. They had to get a NICU nurse to come up and give him the IV because after multiple tries the staff in peds couldn't do it. They let me stay with him, and let me pump and feed him breast milk and formula. We were there 2 days. I continued to pump for several weeks just so I knew how much he was drinking. I set the alarm for every two hours for the first month so I would not miss a feeding. I always had to supplement with formula because I never did produce enough.
Anyway, I had tremendous guilt over failing him - failing to make it full term, failure to be able to nurse, failure to keep him in the hospital. But when I became pregnant with DS2 and was telling my doctor how guilty I felt, she told me that "barely full term" and "not quite full term" that go home right away almost always get readmitted for juandice because they just don't feed well. I wish I would have known that.
Good luck!!!

kellyo19

Postby kellyo19 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:20 am

Oh my, with those #s I'd definitely call your dr. Are you on BP meds? There are meds that are safe for nursing mothers. You may also want to do another 24-hr urine and see if you have PP PE.

momof4as

Postby momof4as » Mon Oct 11, 2010 08:00 am

anna, we are home with a bilibed but I dont think its as effective as the hospital ones.

Today my BP is 171/112 It keeps climbing higher and higher, I'm getting a little freaked out.

aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Sun Oct 10, 2010 03:14 pm

Oh, please take good care of yourself - especially for little Aidyn's sake. My boys were born on a Thursday and I wasn't released until Wednesday of the next week because my BPs were so unstable. Everyday the nurse would tell me that if my BPs were good, I might go home the next day. But I believe the stress of trying to process all the things that had happened to me and were happening to my babies was too much for my body all at once. I was also heartbroken because my babies didn't get to share a bed like I wanted them to (because of Jordan's feeding tube) and then Aidan came to stay with us in L&D and Jordan couldn't leave the NICU. It was hard to find the peace in letting myself heal when I wanted to be walking to the NICU 3 times a day (but going to the NICU meant leaving Aidan with the L&D nurses!). I know I cried everyday.

You will get through this. Aidyn is in good hands where he is and you will have time to bond with him and love on him so much once he is home. (Although, I know we never want to miss a single minute!!) You need to make sure you're well when he does come home so that you can both enjoy your time together. I hope he gets to go home soon!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”