Updated-now I need help and advice re: ANA panel

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
kara
Forum Moderator

Re : Updated-now I need help and advice re: ANA panel

Postby kara » Sat Oct 09, 2010 01:05 am

I think the $1,200 included another test, but I'm not sure.
Kerisue the ANA panel looks for Anti-nuclear antibodies which might be present if there is inflammation present, or an autoimmune disease. Some MFM's run this as part of a pre-conception appointment. Otherwise, it can be ordered if there are symptoms resembling those one would have with sutoimmune disorders, such as Lupus or Rheumatoid Arthritis, among others.

kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby kerisue » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:19 pm

What is an ANA panel? How would you know if you needed it?

jean

Postby jean » Fri Oct 08, 2010 06:39 pm

Oh wow, $1,200...was that just for the first test or for the first one plus others? I hope my insurance will cover, but they're finicky. :(

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:27 am

I am having a zillion blood tests run tomorrow. I have had autoimmune panels run 3 times over the last couple of years. My insurance paid every time. I expect them to pay for this one too.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:37 pm

Ditto what Kara said. I just had 2 vials taken on Friday to check for Rheumatoid Arthritis & Lupus. My insurance covers it. Based on my results being similar to the ones we did 6 months ago my Dr. wants me to see a rheumatologist - and got me an appt in less than 2 weeks (even though they are usually scheduling 3 months out!). I imagine there will be more testing.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:23 pm

The ANA is probably only one or two vials of blood. I just had one done and it was two vials. I think my last bill said $1,200, but my insurance covered it. Some of the more common test are for ANA, and a sedimentation rate or another one looking for inflammation. Sometimes they'll look for Rheumatoid factor, but usually only if you have rheumatoid type symptoms. It will help them determine if they should do more specific testing for autoimmune diseases.

jean

Updated-now I need help and advice re: ANA panel

Postby jean » Thu Oct 07, 2010 06:51 pm

*see my post below for my latest info-need advice!*

My Dr. just told me he thinks I should go ahead and do the ANA panel. Does anyone know how many vials of blood they take? Any estimates on cost? How long to get results? He told me they often get false positives...but if they get a positive, then they do more testing. What all does the test look for? (I'm guessing lupus..anything else?)
Thanks for the info!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”