Jumping out of skin/hyperflexia?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
naomihope427

Re : Jumping out of skin/hyperflexia?

Postby naomihope427 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 01:15 pm

Oh wow, how scary! Thank you all for sharing your experiences with me. I do not have that feeling now (post partum) but I did have one briefing of it last night where I had to put down the baby, I was laying with her and I had to put her down all of a sudden because I felt sort of like that. It was weird but went away. Also had a headache checked bp it was normal. But if I feel that again, I will call doctor and let him know at 5 week post partum checkup! Thank you!

beth0277

Postby beth0277 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:12 am

I know that when I was trying to decide whether or not to go to the ER (I developed PPPE 5 days PP & everyone thought I was overreacting, even doctors) I was incredibly anxious and felt like I just wanted to jump out of my own skin. I could not sit still and just felt incredibly "off." When my reflexes were checked a few hours later, they were so brisk that the doctors were all calling others to come into my room and "check it out" like I was some neat case study. I was sooo not entertained.

celticepona

Postby celticepona » Mon Oct 11, 2010 08:42 pm

Hi there. I had hyperreflexia really bad with Emily well into the post partum period. I had it again with Isabelle into the postpartum. With Isabelle I told my peri I was having issues...I couldnt even type on the computer my reflexes were so messed up. He checked me and found I was retaining a ton of fluid. He prescribed me with a diuretic, and within 48 hours or so I had lost most of that excess fluid. He said the hyperreflexia was caused by the swelling and fluid, as Kara referred to :) and once that fluid was gone I noticed a BIG difference and I slowly regained control of my body. :) I would bring it up with your doctor if it is making you really uncomfortable...hang in there!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:24 am

Anxious feelings like that can be caused by central nervous system involvement due to swelling on the brain. This is also the cause of hyperreflexia and some vision disturbances. I felt anxious the day I was hospitalized and just felt an overwhelming urge to shave my legs. At the time i didnt realize it, but it was because I knew something wasn't right and I'd need to see a doctor. I had hyperreflexia and clonus, as well as blurry vision (everything was blurry). I had severe swelling (20lbs overnight), could barely open my eyelids, and couldn't hold a pen in my hands), and my doctor said that when my body ran out of places to stash the extra fluid, it started collecting around my brain leading to the other problems.

michelamilano

Postby michelamilano » Mon Oct 11, 2010 06:06 am

Something similar happen to me the day I developed hellp (luckily I was already in the hospital so it was caught early and my platelets count didn't reach extreme levels). I believed it was due to the horrible liver pain I was expriencing but there was probably someting else

sarah0381

Postby sarah0381 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 07:13 pm

I felt that way the last couple of weeks of pregnancy...it was awful! They didn't catch mine until postpartum even though I had symptoms for a long time. I'm not sure if it's associated with hyperflexia or not.

naomihope427

Jumping out of skin/hyperflexia?

Postby naomihope427 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 06:39 pm

A few days before I delivered my daughter Sadie on 9/16, my friends were visiting at night and I just felt horrible, I kept having to move around in my bed I couldn't sit still, I had to get up to walk around to see if that made a difference, it didn't. I just wanted them to go out because of how awful I felt, I wanted to like get out of my skin. I spoke to a mommy from here and she had said possibly a sign or thing of hyperflexia. Has any of this or similar happened to any of you all? I just remember feeling that way and I never wanna feel that again.

(this was when I started to also have very brisk reflexes the headache that was quite severe and would not go away as well as swelling & blood levels changing.)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”