Preeclampsia Basics: Bad Blood

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
riehlism

Re: Preeclampsia Basics: Bad Blood

Postby riehlism » Tue Nov 09, 2010 08:11 am

Keri, so far they have not found any other causes for elevated WBC or platelets other than a myeloproliferative disorder. The chronically high WBC and platelets are hallmark for a myeloproliferative disorder...but they are unable to be more specific than that because all the known tests have been negative.

I asked my hematologist when I first saw him regarding his thoughts on Lovenox for me in a pregnancy. My MFM said possibly (but not absolute), my OB said he'd feel safer with it. So I asked him as a tie breaker. At first he said no because the research is so iffy on it. But given that I have something so difficult for even him to diagnose, he says he now supports Lovenox in a future pregnancy.

I really wish there weren't so many questions marks with this disease.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192

ktdwll

Postby ktdwll » Tue Nov 09, 2010 02:11 am

I think atv lady saw a hemotolgist. She maybe can help. I would try emailing Delissa. Good luck Jasmin.

Diane

kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby kerisue » Sun Nov 07, 2010 08:11 am

Hi Jasmin, if you DO have this disorder, what does it mean for a future pregnancy?
Has the doctor ruled out other reasons for the high WBC such as chronic inflammation, infection, etc.? I assume so, but just asking.
Mama to Millie
born June 2010 @ 24 wks. gestation due to my severe PE and CHF
lived 25 days, loved and missed

riehlism

Preeclampsia Basics: Bad Blood

Postby riehlism » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:11 am

Hi Everyone. I'm glad to see the site up and running again. We know that the old name for preeclampsia was toxemia, or toxic blood.

Right before the site went dark I saw my hematologist for a follow-up appointment. This is my second hematologist trying to figure out what's wrong with me. My labs have been coming back with elevated WBCs and Platelets. My doctor suspects I have a myeloproliferative disorder where my body is producing lots of WBCs and platelets, which can make me prone to clotting, which may explain preeclampsia in my case.

Meanwhile, I have had numerous blood tests done, including an incredibly painful bone marrow biopsy, all tests have been negative. Now my hematologist is suspecting that I have an undefined type of myeloproliferative disorder. Seems like this is the story of my life.

Has anyone met with a hematologist? What did he or she say?
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192

milesymommy

Postby milesymommy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 02:11 am

I've had a variety of blood tests, and they came back normal. That said, the reson it's no longer toxemia is because there's more to it than "bad blood". Bad blood is a result of pre-e, not the cause... although some poeple do have risk factors that increase the likelihood. I recommend looking at the sticky "What happens biologically during Pre-E" to get a better picture. It may be that nothings wrong with YOU. It could be that the combination of you + hubby = poor implantation.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”