Preterm labour

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jules2

Re: Preterm labour

Postby jules2 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:27 am

I don't know the biology behind this, but my PE expert definitely told me I was at risk of pre-term labour as well as PE. He had obviously seen the research suggestion a connection.

Best wishes
May 2009 - Alice stillborn at 26 weeks due to severe PE and HELLP post-partum

2 early miscarriages

And then 4th pregnancy baby girl due 29th December 2010! Born safely after totally normal pregnancy on 17th December.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:24 am

I knew I had just seen this but had to go find it:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21055722

Women with previous preterm preeclampsia have increased risks of adverse pregnancy outcomes in a second pregnancy despite the absence of preeclampsia.

Holly, it was definitely connected -- I have been asking researchers about this for four years now, and they are more and more agreeing with the idea that the proteins produced by the placenta in response to a shortage of oxygen, the ones that trigger preeclampsia symptoms, are also connected with helping the placenta to shear off from the uterus after labor. And labor creates a shortage of oxygen to the placenta with every contraction. There's some sort of feedback loop operating there that hasn't been completely discovered yet, but there's something in play for sure.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

hollyr

Postby hollyr » Tue Nov 23, 2010 01:33 am

Thanks for the replies!

Blythe, that is really interesting to know that there may be a connection. I just always felt like there my labour was connected to my blood pressure, as it seemed to rise very high just before I went into labour.

Would love any further insight if anyone has any :)

riehlism

Postby riehlism » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:46 pm

I'm really interested to see what others' thoughts are on this. I was meaning to post a question like this. My sister went into pre-term labor at 32 weeks for no reason. They held off and she delivered at 37 weeks, but no signs of PE or HELLP throughout the pregnancy. I am just a little concerned for her, given my history.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Sun Nov 21, 2010 07:42 pm

So if I am understanding that right...its pe or hellp in one pregnancy, lets say around 28 weeks then it could be preterm labor the next pregnancy in place of hellp?
Laura Angel (Factor V Leiden)
Mommy to Cara Angel 2LBS 11OZ 16 IN. Born at 30 weeks due to Severe PE & HELLP.
"My life went with you sweetheart the day angels called you home"

Our Rainbow Baby Carter born March 5 2011 7lbs 7oz 20.5in 36 weeks 4days PE FREE

Baby #3 due June 2012

blythe

Postby blythe » Sun Nov 21, 2010 04:33 pm

Hi Holly,

Hopefully Caryn will pop in soon, she's always better at explaining this than I am. I don't remember seeing references for this the last time I did a lit search, but I think there's some new research agreeing with you that there may be a connection. I do know that at least two of our moderators have had alternating HELLP and preterm labor (or P-PROM?) in different pregnancies but at around the same gestational age for their pregnancy complication.
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

hollyr

Preterm labour

Postby hollyr » Sat Nov 20, 2010 07:28 am

Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is any link between PIH and preterm labour?

From 28 weeks in my pregnancy I experienced a lot of problems with high blood pressure. At one point it got up to 180/120, and I was put on methyldopa which contolled it somewhat however I kept needing to increase my dose every week or so as it would get out of control again. I did not have proteinuria ( I was getting 1+ on dipsticks, my 24 hour urine was about 280), so it was just PIH rather than pre-eclampsia. I did see on my charts that I was getting 2+ on my dipsticks the day I delivered my son. My blood pressure also rose sharply (despite having just increased my medication dosage a few days earlier) the day before I went into labour.

Anyway, I went into spontaneous preterm labour when I was 33+2 weeks. My son was delivered and is now a healthy and happy 8 month old. I am just curious to know whether my blood pressure issues could have caused my to go into labour early?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated

Return to “Ask the Experienced”