Side Effects from Steriod shots?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
patty

Re: Side Effects from Steriod shots?

Postby patty » Tue Nov 30, 2010 08:54 pm

I had the staying up all night thing go on too. I know when I was on hospital bedrest they prescribed ambien maybe they can give that to help counteract the effect if you can't sleep.
Patty mom to: Seth 6-24-95 (severe preeclampsia that got worse postpartum, delivered at 36 weeks), Brooks 9-11-98 (preeclampsia delivered at 35weeks), Sylvia 5-24-01(my only girl, PIH delivered at 38 weeks), Raleigh 2-19-06 (born on my 37th birthday, severe preeclamsia, 3 weeks of hospital bedrest, delivered at 34 weeks) and last but not least little Randall 5-07-08, 3lbs 11oz.(severe preeclampsia, a month of hospital bedrest, delivered at 31weeks, 25days in the NICU with RDS, chest tubes and NEC)

korie

Postby korie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 01:13 am

So no crazed mood swings? Today was rough and seemed far from normal. I had my second shot today and I am hoping it isn't even worse tomorrow. I don't remember this from my first, but I was really crazy already being stuck in the hospital and so early in my pregnancy. With my second I remember not sleeping for 3 days straight.

mrss

Postby mrss » Mon Nov 29, 2010 01:46 pm

The steroid shots, combined with what was already going on with me in pregnancy, allowed a dormant virus in my body to become active again. I had what was called Parsonage Turner Syndrome and the motor nerves in my right arm were affected. I didn't have complete use of my right arm for 6 weeks until the motor nerves grew back and went through multiple tests (MRI, EMG, CT, etc.) to figure out what happened. I also had several weeks of physical therapy after delivery. Generally, this syndrome is caused by trauma (war wounds, should dystocia in infants, etc.) but it has also been known to happen as a vaccine reaction and very rarely, spontaneously in pregnancy. The best guess is that I was already having funky immune stuff going on and the steroid shots pushed me over the edge. It is very rare, however, and not likely to happen to most women who receive the steroid shots.
Michelle (38)
DH (50)
Adam 6/10/06 at 37w2d, 5 lbs. 12 oz.
Julianne 10/4/10 at 35w5d, 5 lbs. 5 oz.

kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby kerisue » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:20 am

I don't remember having any particular side effects, but then again I was already pretty sick by that point (delivered 2 days after the 2nd shot) so I might not have known if I had any.
Mama to Millie
born June 2010 @ 24 wks. gestation due to my severe PE and CHF
lived 25 days, loved and missed

korie

Side Effects from Steriod shots?

Postby korie » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:37 am

Just wondering if any of you know what the side effects of the steriod shots are? I got one yesterday and get my second one today. I had them my last pregnancy, but all I remember is the not sleeping at all.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”