Blood Pressure after Birth

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mellybute

Re: Blood Pressure after Birth

Postby mellybute » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:21 pm

My blood pressure never normalized. My son will be 18 months tomorrow and I am still on my bp med. The good news is I was released on 4 meds and now I only take one low dose bp med. I wish I didn't have to take that, but I do. It took me a long time to accept that fact, but I have. I never had high bp before the day I turned 37 weeks and was admitted into the hospital. Never had it in my first pregnancy or all through my second one. It was just the luck of the draw for me.
Melissa ~ 36 years old

Son ~ born April 2006 ~ No Complications
Son ~ born August 2009 ~ severe post partum pre-eclampsia, still on bp meds (never returned to normal)

brandib

Postby brandib » Sun Jan 23, 2011 09:37 pm

First time, I stopped meds within six weeks. Second time, right after delivery, third time..........never :0(

mcam10

Postby mcam10 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:39 am

it took 6 weeks PP for my bp to go back to normal. during that time, i took labetalol (400mg at the highest point).

to rexelliz- from what i understand, if you stop taking bp meds (i know labetalol for sure) cold turkey, it can cause some major problems, which i think might be what was going on with you. you are supposed to be weaned off it slowly. even with me only taking 400 mg at the worst point, i had to step down to 200mg to 100mg to nothing over the course of a few weeks.
Melanie
Aidan born at 38w2d in Aug. 2006 due to mild PE
Nadia born at 37w0d in Sept. 2010 due to mild PE and PP PE

tree
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Wed Jan 12, 2011 08:15 pm

Hi Jen - Mine stayed up around 115-120/75 until the swelling went down. It was much lower (but still not normal) at about 8 weeks. I was always 90/50, and now I am about 100/60 after almost two years. My doctors did keep an eye on it, but they weren't worried as long as it was trending down. I would call and ask if you are concerned. They are free to tell you not to worry. I have discovered that there are benefits to slightly higher pressures, even if they may not be a great sign for my future health. My blood draws are MUCH easier (blood actually comes out and fills the tube, wow!), and I could probably be let out of the hospital after anesthesia without a huge argument about my blood pressure being too low. I have never been able to give blood because nothing comes out, so I am pretty excited to try that too!
Seriously, I hope you are feeling better and doing great. I had to remind my docs that although I wasn't at 140/90, I was still 50/30 points higher than normal and felt like complete crap because of it. Sometimes they need a reminder that those of us with really low BPs are not built to handle even moderate pressures. Call if you don't see it trending down. I was still too stupid to ask questions at my two week checkup, so I spent a lot of time on the phone.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP

rexelliz

Postby rexelliz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:46 am

I delivered my baby on Nov. 22, 2010. I was released from the hospital with blood pressure medications labetalol (800mg) and norvasc (10mg). My blood pressure went as high as 190/115 2 days after my delivery. In fact, after delivery, I stayed for 4 more days in the hospital because my blood pressure was always going up. Finally, the doctors released me in the hospital, heavy on medication with a blood pressure of 140/90. They want me to take the medication until my postpartum visit on Jan. 3, 2011.
A week after I was released, still on medication, my blood pressure returned to normal (averaging at 110/70). So, when I went for my postpartum visit, the doctor told me that I could stop taking the medication. So I skipped the night dosage of the BP meds.I woke up around 4am to go to the bathroom, saw myself in the mirror and noticed that my face was a little bit swollen. I checked my BP and indeed it was high at 140/96. So I immediately took the meds that I skipped the night before that. I continued taking the meds instead. Since then, my BP would only go down to 117/70 within 4 hours of taking the BP meds then it would start going high again. Last Sunday, my husband took me to the ER because I was trembling and I was feeling weakness on my left arm. Luckily, CAT Scan and Chest X-ray showed that there was no stroke and that my heart is still healthy.
I want to know if anyone has had the same experience and what should I do? What should I expect?
My baby by the way was born at 35 weeks. She was tiny at 5lbs 12 oz but she's growing very fast and very healthy. She is now at 8lbs 12oz. She is my joy. My source of my strength and the will to survive. I also have a very wonderful, loving and supportive husband who has been taking care of me since day 1.
- Rexy,
Severe pre-E on 1st pregnancy. Mahalia was born healthy at 35 weeks on 11/22/10.
pre-e on 2nd pregnancy. Rumi was born at 35 weeks on 12/05/12 with respiratory distress and needing 100% CPAP. Stayed in NICU for 2 weeks.

amandamm

Postby amandamm » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:39 am

Mine was never as low as it was before my first... and I was on bp meds for about 2 months after my second time with pre-e. It is a tad bit higher than before, but not terrible... but it varies a lot.
Mom to Addie & Evie, Pre-E x2 (34w6d & 37w2d)
due December 28, 2011!
In our hearts forever: missed miscarriage @ 10 weeks (July 2008) & miscarriage at 7 weeks (February 2009)

Addie Lu & Evie Too ~ Deda's Little Duds

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Tue Jan 11, 2011 07:13 pm

Did you have some swelling after delivery? The excessive fluids that you receive during/after a section cause your body to work hard at pumping it out. This can lead to slightly elevated bps, too. I know after Ella's delivery, I had some swelling (pretty much everywhere, whereas I didn't prior to surgery) and my pressures were up, but as the swelling dissipated, my numbers settled back into my normal range. All that said, I did call my MFM. Hopefully, this will settle down for you soon!
Heather (PAI-1 4G/4G) mama to:
Nicolas Edison (6/2004) 36 weeks, PE, HELLP, and placental abruption
Ella Amelia (3/2007) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Oliver Lyon (1/2011) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Milo Mason (2/2014) 39 weeks PE-free

blythe

Postby blythe » Tue Jan 11, 2011 06:36 pm

Hi Jen, congratulations on the new baby! Post-partum PE can hit up to 6 weeks post-partum, so please do at least call in to your doc / L&D. They might not do anything, or they could at least bring you in for bloodwork. I'd specifically remind them that your baseline is super low - an old criteria for PE was an increase of 30/15 over baseline, and our experts have said that that kind of increase still warrants increased attention. In the meantime, definitely watch your signs and symptoms - headache that doesn't go away with tylenol, visual changes, URQ pain, and keep taking your bp. Post-partum PE is much easier to treat because they don't have to worry about the baby.

BPs of 140/90 or more that don't go down after 6 weeks pp get diagnosed "chronic hypertension", but some of our posters have been on bp meds for 3-6-12 months or more and eventually come down to normal. They will probably have consistent chronic htn when they're older, but for now, it is possible for bps to come down. I really doubt they would medicate you since you're far under 140/90.

I have no medical training but from what I've read I agree with you: I doubt they'll do much, but they might at least want to see you earlier than the 6 week pp appt considering your low baseline. Please do check with your doc, even if they don't do anything it's good for them to know you're still having bp issues. Hang in there and let us know what they say!
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

christina89

Postby christina89 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 06:20 pm

MIne went back down to normal about 6 or 8 weeks after I gave birth I was off all me bp meds.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 05:57 pm

Mine took a good month! Hang in there!
Laura Angel (Factor V Leiden)
Mommy to Cara Angel 2LBS 11OZ 16 IN. Born at 30 weeks due to Severe PE & HELLP.
"My life went with you sweetheart the day angels called you home"

Our Rainbow Baby Carter born March 5 2011 7lbs 7oz 20.5in 36 weeks 4days PE FREE

Baby #3 due June 2012

Return to “Ask the Experienced”