Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Question- 37 wks along w/IgA Nephropathy, h/o PE

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Question- 37 wks along w/IgA Nephropathy, h/o PE

Postby mom4blessings » Mon Jan 24, 2011 01:32 pm

by mom4blessings (4 Posts), Mon Jan 24, 2011 01:32 pm

Hi there-

On my fifth child (and fifth pregnancy) here- have children ages 9,7,5,3. Was dxed with IgA Nephropathy last March because of high protein and occult blood found in lab tests (but no symptoms). Apparently I have a mild case with no scarring or kidney damage and normal kidney fxn. I just turned 39. I'm taking a smite of methyldopa, 125 mg 2x's daily.

I'm actually 37 wks 2 days and doing great! My protein 24hr was last at 1426, however- last week but they're saying that's the kidney disorder and not PE. My unpregnant 24 hour protein is 300-400. I have normal platelets, liver enzymes. My blood pressure has risen a little for me to 128/80 from 116/74 typically, and I take it daily at the same time, just in the past day. I have minimal swelling in my ankles, no headaches, abd pain, vision issues, and basically feel great. I actually hadn't gained any weight at my last check (my weight gain has been around 25 lbs, I'm not overweight).

So, am I being realistic hoping to make it until 39 weeks or would it be better to induce sooner? How long could I last with a slight BP elevation? No h/o c-sections, my other babies went to 40, 40, 36, and 37 weeks and were healthy. I have had my bp and protein shoot up with three of the pregnancies at the end- after the last one, the OB said I must have kidney disease.

It would be so nice to wait a little longer if I'm able to! Should I post this on "ask the experts"?

Thanks (p.s. I'm an RN)
Meredith
mom4blessings

Re: Question- 37 wks along w/IgA Nephropathy, h/o PE

Postby trish9 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:44 pm

by trish9 (74 Posts), Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:44 pm

Meredith have they been monitoring your proteinuria throughout the pregnancy with spot prot/creatinine? That would help to determine if this is expected rise in proteinuria due to changes in filtration or if it is a more concerning spike.
Trish
Pre-eclampsia and HELLP at 23 weeks +2 days
My little love Alexander. Born and passed on January 3rd, 2010.
Underlying disorders: IgA nephropathy, chronic hypertension and Hashimoto's thyroiditis
trish9

Postby mom4blessings » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:42 pm

by mom4blessings (4 Posts), Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:42 pm

First of all, thanks for your reply!
Yes, the nephrologist has been monitoring my 24 hour urine protein (like the spot check) monthly to biweekly in the last trimester... it's been going up steadily throughout the pregnancy- pretty evenly, actually, no spike. It actually went down from early January to mid January! But still, I feel great and am trying not to think about it last being 1425! I see you also have IgAN- nice to see I'm not alone.

On the side, I'm in a great yahoogroup for IgAN if you were ever interested!

Meredith S
mom4blessings

Postby trish9 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:33 pm

by trish9 (74 Posts), Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:33 pm

Hi Meredith,
It sounds like things are pretty stable for you, which is great! At least from what my nephrologist and MFM told me, they would be looking more for a quick rise in proteinuria rather than a slow one - which would be anticipated from the normal kidney filtration changes of pregnancy. When I developed PE/HELLP I had a quick jump up of almost 3 grams, so it was a pretty dramatic change. I was spilling about 7 grams at its worst.

I also found the IgA forum! :) I haven't been on it in awhile though. Have you talked to anyone on that forum with pre-e or pregnancy issues and IgA? There is not alot of info out there for us.
Trish
Pre-eclampsia and HELLP at 23 weeks +2 days
My little love Alexander. Born and passed on January 3rd, 2010.
Underlying disorders: IgA nephropathy, chronic hypertension and Hashimoto's thyroiditis
trish9

Return to Ask the Experienced