What were your symptoms with pre-e?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
celticepona

Re: What were your symptoms with pre-e?

Postby celticepona » Thu Feb 10, 2011 08:03 pm

brandib, so sorry you had such a rough time. Thank god for this foundation to get the word out about PE. Its unfortunate so many of us have had to go through such ignorant bad experiences with our PE in order to raise awareness about this disease. After my first delivery my bps were sky high but were IGNORED by my ob and the hospital staff and I was sent home. No mag, nothing. It wasn't until I was released by my ob @ 2 weeks postpartum that I was put back on bp meds and lasix by my regular doctor that I started to recover.

Anyway, the second time I was watched closely by my peri ( I went straight to him and left my ob when I found out I was pregnant again.) and was on bp meds through the whole thing. @ 36 weeks I woke up with a pounding headache, took my bp at home. It was 150/100. I said 'Uh oh, here we go..." called my peri, who told me to go straight to L&D. They checked my bp, tested my urine, and said "we are inducing you!" Thankfully they caught it before it got too bad and got my Izzy out. I recovered on bp meds and lasix about two weeks later.

Now Im on # 3. Hoping I can keep little Faith safe till about 36 weeks at least. :)
Amy. DH Rich.
Emily born 04/01/04 @ 37 weeks. 5.bs 15 oz. Severe PE. Strict leftside bedrest 3 weeks before delivery, 2 weeks postpartum. Postpartum PE.
Isabelle born 04/19/08 @ 37 weeks. 6lbs 9 oz. PE. Under care of high risk peri and bp meds throughout preg.
IT'S A GIRL! Faith Michelle" due 06/18/11. Under care of high risk peri. On Aldomet for bps and antinausea meds.

brandib

Postby brandib » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:43 am

PS------the "idiot" doctor who let me go, wasn't MY doctor. It was an on-call doc who walked into my room at 8:30 PM and asked me " do you wanna go home?" who wouldnt' want to go home? Of course I said yes and I went on my merry way. She sent me home to die. My baby had a jaundice check at a little hospital the day after the night I was realeased and thats what saved my life. For that almost two days I was home, I couuld hardly walk, I was crying in URQ pain, I was so weak and so white as a ghost I couldn't even hold my baby. My husband had to prop me and her up and even hold her so I could breastfeed her. Not ONE doctor told me to look out for any symptoms or anything. I left under the impression that I was ok, and that being my first baby, I just thought what I was feeling was " I just had a baby" type of yucky. My husband had to wheelchair me into the small hospital to have my daughters jaundice check and those nurses took one look at me and asked if they could check me out which I refused until they said " no charge, just let us check your blood pressure" hmmmm well, I went from bp check to in a bed to an iv in me all kinds of meds and an ambulance ride back to a major hospital. I told them not to give me any medications because I had to breastfeed my baby and they were staring at me all weird and one male nurse came up to me and said " Honey you're very very sick. I don't think you realize how sick you are. These medecines are to protect your liver from completely failing." I went into complete shock at that moment. I thought "I just had the baby, they had to get the baby out so I would get better, how am I not better?" Coming back into the hospital some nurses that had just taken care of me said " Oh no here comes trouble!" lol,.......how was it that even the nurses remembered how sick I was but that idiot doctor just sent me home without knowing ANYTHING about me?????

brandib

Postby brandib » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:14 am

Going into my second pregnancy I was a nervous I might get sick again but my docs kept telling me its rare to get it again, its usually "only first pregnancy." But as soon as the swelling started and I told my husband I was feeling so "weird" we went to the pharmacy and checked my BP and sure enough it was high. So I panicked then and cried in the store, but I was still labile at that point so when I called my docs office they were still pretty unconcernced cuz my labs weren't reflecting anything yet......it didn't take too long though until it did. I knew as soon as I felt "off" and the swelling started, I knew I had it again. I delivered my 2nd baby at 36 weeks after being in and out of the hospital with 24 hr stays and such for a few weeks. No meds PP. With my first pregnancy my symptoms were EXTREME swelling, dizziness, and really bad URQ pain that I would lean against the wall and cry, vomitting night and day in all three trimesters, but one day I told my husband that everything looked like it was "moving" and told the hospital that and they sent me to L&D to be induced ( two failed inductions) then within days I got so sick I was induced again and it was failing again and the doc said if I didn't deliver by midnight they had to do a csection and i went from 2-10 to baby out in the two hours I was given :0) After being magged for days and let go by an idiot doctor who didnt' check my labs or bp, I was ambulanced back to the hospital with my liver and kidneys starting to shut down and bp was 180''s/110's. Was on Labetelol for about six weeks. Third time was the real charm for me :0)

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:36 am

Hi Im new... I had 2 smooth pregnancies with no complications, and just today was diagnosed with pre-e and risk of hellp and low amniotic fluids at 22 weeks. my husband and i were involved in a domestic violence issue just 4 days ago and symptom started right after. we are now seperated and i am devastated. can stress and emotional stress cause pre-e? any insight because right now im terrified my child is not healthy.

thank you and god bless

Welcome. Stress can NOT cause PE. Stress could raise your BP temporarily but it wouldn't remain elevated. (((HUGS)))
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

616baby

Postby 616baby » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:43 am

Hi Im new... I had 2 smooth pregnancies with no complications, and just today was diagnosed with pre-e and risk of hellp and low amniotic fluids at 22 weeks. my husband and i were involved in a domestic violence issue just 4 days ago and symptom started right after. we are now seperated and i am devastated. can stress and emotional stress cause pre-e? any insight because right now im terrified my child is not healthy.

thank you and god bless

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Fri Feb 04, 2011 09:00 pm

I was terrified going into # 2. as well. My daughter died and I was very sick. I was very scared until I hit about 28 weeks where I knew chance of survival was better and the fact I didnt have any PE symptoms were fantastic. I am now almost 33 weeks...no signs what so ever of PE.

My symptoms with Cara presented as a general feeling of being sick, and swelling was major for me.

Lastly. Zoloft. Enough said!
Laura Angel (Factor V Leiden)
Mommy to Cara Angel 2LBS 11OZ 16 IN. Born at 30 weeks due to Severe PE & HELLP.
"My life went with you sweetheart the day angels called you home"

Our Rainbow Baby Carter born March 5 2011 7lbs 7oz 20.5in 36 weeks 4days PE FREE

Baby #3 due June 2012

lizard

Postby lizard » Fri Feb 04, 2011 01:55 pm

I was terrified at first. scared it would happen again. as time went on i felt excited but always had the fear in the back of my head. being monitored so closely did make me feel more at ease but also more nervous sometimes because i thought of course they will find SOMETHING wrong, how could they not checking everything so often. i had a few landmarks to hit that would help. like 28wks when my son apparently stopped growing the first time. and then again at 33 wks when i delivered. those were milestones for me. i did a lot of yoga and mediation this time around that helped soooooooooooooo much i can not even tell you. i also went to acupuncture every 3 wks which also really really helped. i was able to find out how my kidneys, bp's, liver, etc were doing during those appts between my doc appts. i think having monthly ultrasounds was helpful too. seeing my babe grow and get bigger than my son ever got was so wonderful and reassuring. i am now 38wks and my bp's are steady 118/60, no protein and all is good. just waiting now :) find what helps you be confident and let yourself have those days where you break down. it's all part of the journey.

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 09:44 pm

I was extremely nervous with this last pregnancy after having HELLP the 1st time, then 2 miscarriages in a row. I was reluctant to get attached to the baby during the pregnancy until the 3rd trimester, but once he arrived in January, I was absolutely smitten.

I did ask a lot more questions this time. I tracked my bp every day, I called the doctor with any concerns and I was seen more often this time that last- especially during 1st & 2nd trimesters. This time around- I had no HELLP or PE luckily. But I do think I started having some slight symptoms- creeping bps the last month or so, although never high enough for them to worry.

To ease my fears, I talked about my fears more with my family & friends. My sister in law was pregnant with her 1st child and due 2 days before me, so my biggest fear was that she would have healthy baby and I wouldn't. Because of that, I took it one step at a time and if I felt overwhelmed I tried not to let it get the best of me.

Since my 1st was a girl and this was a boy, I needed to buy new things. That was the hardest for me. The first time I walked into baby store during this last pregnancy, I broke down and cried and ended up back in the car with nothing bought. But over time I allowed myself to become more attatched and start planning for the birth. I also did not talk with my sister in law or other pregnant friends too often because it made me mad that I could not experience the unknowing joy of having a non-complicated pregnancy.
Mom to Olivia 4/4/2008 born at 34 1/2 weeks due to class I HELLP
Declan born 1/4/2011- no HELLP or PE- YEAH

vit9109

What were your symptoms with pre-e?

Postby vit9109 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:37 am

Hi Ladies,

Can you share how you felt going into your second pregnancy after pre-e with baby #1.

How did your symptoms present?

What did you do to ease any anxiety/fears?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”