Anyone have an extra long Luteal Phase or Low Progesterone?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mom29

Re: Anyone have an extra long Luteal Phase or Low Progestero

Postby mom29 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 08:32 am

You should not take Clomid and Vitex together though.

lucy

Postby lucy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 00:02 am

I have had low progesterone this pregnancy but I had never experienced it prior that I know of. I know I'm not much help but I wanted to wish you luck,
Mom of 4 living, 2 angels. www.myforeverangels.com

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:59 pm

I agree with what Angie said. My RE verified ovulation with the blood work and he was looking for the same progesterone values mentioned above...
Becky
Mom to...
baby girl Addison 3/11/09-3/11/09 (severe preeclampsia 26w5d)
baby boy Aden 5/25/10 (35w6d low amniotic fluid)
baby boy #2 due 7/4/11

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 09:39 pm

No worries. I know nothing about vitex myself.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

lizard

Postby lizard » Tue Feb 08, 2011 07:08 pm

I just know vitex helped my sister raise her progesterone and lengthen her luteal phase. my correction on vitex being homepathic, you are right. it is not, it is herbal. thanks for the clarification.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 05:37 pm

Actually, vitex isn't homeopathy. It's herbal. Homeopathy is magic water, which is why the Brits are considering stopping paying for it and you could win a million bucks if you could prove that it actually works. :) See: http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2011/ ... opathy.php

As I understand this Angie's dead to rights, and she's far more knowledgeable than I am on the topic as well.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

angieb

Postby angieb » Tue Feb 08, 2011 03:31 pm

If you take progesterone prior to ovulation, it will prevent you from ovulating altogether. Your progesterone is supposed to be low before you ovulate and around the time your period starts, it's only supposed to be high following ovulation (and peaking around 7 days past ovulation), and then it drops if you don't get pregnant, or stays high (sometimes needing supplementation) if conception occurs to sustain the pregnancy. But if it's not tested at the right time(7 days past ovulation), then low progesterone doesn't mean anything really because it might just be low because you didn't ovulate or it might be low because it's dropped because you ovulated and aren't pregnant.

Normal levels are 0-2 prior to ovulation, levels of 2.5-6 indicate that you did ovulate (although really I've seen most doctors say at least 5+), and around 7 days after ovulation they should be 10+, but on medicated cycles they like to see 15+. So progesterone testing really doesn't tell you much unless you know exactly when the test is being done. In this case, it may be an indication that they misinterpreted the ultrasound or that you ovulated so recently that the blood draw was too soon. It doesn't necessarily mean that you really have low progesterone levels unless you can pinpoint exactly when you ovulated.

http://www.ivf1.com/infertility-progest ... rone_level
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

lizard

Postby lizard » Tue Feb 08, 2011 02:36 pm

Women need progesterone to protect an ongoing pregnancy and to keep menstrual cycles regular. Sometimes low P can make one have an irregular menstrual cycle, strong cramps during menstruation and greater presence of blood clots during periods. When progesterone levels are very low, infertility may occur because ovulation is not occurring. I don't know what your case is exactly but I would consider taking progesterone and maybe a B6 complex vitamin. By doing so you most likely see a shift in your cycle, both menstration and luteal phase. From my understanding this is a very very common reason women have trouble getting pregnant and then holding the pregnancy. Vitex is something that you could look into, also known as chasteberry.

good luck and keep trying. your body can do this it might just need some help :)
Last edited by lizard on Tue Feb 08, 2011 07:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

angieb

Postby angieb » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:07 pm

I'm curious to know what in the ultrasound is confirming that you ovulated? I've never heard of an ultrasound "confirming" ovulation before, all of the RE's I saw used 7 day past suspected ovulation progesterone testing to confirm ovulation. Just because there was a mature follicle there and not anymore, doesn't necessarily mean it ovulated (sometimes they just fizz out). My guess is that you may not be really ovulating especially if it's just an ultrasound confirming it. (Low progesterone could mean that you didn't ovulate at all because it only rises after ovulation, or it could mean that it's only been a few days since you ovulated-less than 7- and hasn't hit it's peak yet.)
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

riehlism

Anyone have an extra long Luteal Phase or Low Progesterone?

Postby riehlism » Mon Feb 07, 2011 06:25 pm

I've been on Clomid and cycles have been really odd. Ultrasounds confirm that I ovulate, but my period just never comes. Labs today showed I have low progesterone, and everything else is normal.

From what I've read online, people with a luteal phase defect of low progesterone usually have a really short LP. Mine is really long...20+ days long.

Can anyone share anything about low progesterone and its effects on TTC and or Preeclampsia?

I know there is a clinical trial that is recruiting right now (I found it on the government's website) about looking at a possible link between low progesterone and preeclampsia.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192

Return to “Ask the Experienced”