Is this still pre-e? 24 hour results went down

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
angieb

Re: Is this still pre-e? 24 hour results went down

Postby angieb » Tue Feb 08, 2011 01:59 pm

Chronic hypertension is when your blood pressure rises before about 20 weeks, or when your blood pressure stays high after 6 weeks or so post partum.
If your blood pressure is still high than you at least have "pregnancy induced hypertension" (PIH), they definitely can't consider you chronic yet unless your blood pressure stays high after pregnancy. If your 24 hour protein levels were high and that dropped, it doesn't necessarily mean that the pre-eclampsia went away. I think it's normal for it to fluctuate a little bit, but pre-e doesn't just go away on it's own. It just means it hasn't gotten worse. (But blood pressure is generally more of a concern than protein, they will deliver you early for uncontrolled blood pressures, they usually won't deliver because of protein alone.)
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

susheli

Postby susheli » Tue Feb 08, 2011 01:29 pm

PS oh and technically, I do believe that one reading of over 300 indicates PE, even if further readings go down... but I may be wrong...

susheli

Postby susheli » Tue Feb 08, 2011 01:28 pm

Hi,

I also found this so confusing. In both my pregnancies my protein numbers went slightly down initially and then, unfortunately, way up. My docs also spoke of chronic hypertension uncovered by the pregnancy, and this is what has happened: I am now a chronic.

BUT, as I understand it, your protein can fluctuate in small ways due to more rest, more liquid intake and simply the ups and downs of early PE and labile pressures. You will need to be monitored carefully, I'm sure, so be certain to ask your dr about this if they don't make a plan. Hopefully your protein will stay down for as long as possible, some women only ever develop PIH, but many do go on to develop PE, so it is important to know the symptoms and watch for them.

take good care,
Susannah

twolittlebirds

Is this still pre-e? 24 hour results went down

Postby twolittlebirds » Tue Feb 08, 2011 01:22 pm

I'm feeling a little confused and waiting on a call back from my ob, but I figured I'd see if any of you have any insight!

Last week at 27 weeks, I was told I had pre-e. I'm dealing with high BP (usually around 150/90) and my 24 hour urine test came back at 324.

This week, I repeated the 24 hour test and it came back at 250. The nurse that called mentioned that it may just be chronic hypertension presenting itself in pregnancy. Does pre-e always cause a rise in protein spilling? Is this likely still pre-e?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”