Higher BP's only at the doctor's office.....Is it white coat

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
crowderkb

Re: Higher BP's only at the doctor's office.....Is it white

Postby crowderkb » Sun Apr 26, 639237 2:12 pm

I still get it, no matter how many times I go to the office. Sometimes it helps if they take it at the end of the appointment too. I seem to be a little more relaxed then. I just started to keep a log at home. I took my BP once a week from the beginning of my pregnancy, just so I could see any trends and I could show it to my doctor. They seemed to trust me and go with my numbers instead of the office ones. Now that my BP is up for real I have the NST and I think they get pretty accurate numbers with that since I am there soooooo long each time.
It is imporatnt for you to know you to know your real numbers, so at home monitoring is good.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Sat Apr 25, 639237 9:50 pm

Oh yes and I was put on Zoloft, still on it NO problems and I am 34 weeks!
Laura Angel (Factor V Leiden)
Mommy to Cara Angel 2LBS 11OZ 16 IN. Born at 30 weeks due to Severe PE & HELLP.
"My life went with you sweetheart the day angels called you home"

Our Rainbow Baby Carter born March 5 2011 7lbs 7oz 20.5in 36 weeks 4days PE FREE

Baby #3 due June 2012

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Sat Apr 25, 639237 9:50 pm

This happened to me as well in the beginning of my second pregnancy. After you go in about once a week for a month your nerves tend to calm themselves a bit. At least mine did.
Laura Angel (Factor V Leiden)
Mommy to Cara Angel 2LBS 11OZ 16 IN. Born at 30 weeks due to Severe PE & HELLP.
"My life went with you sweetheart the day angels called you home"

Our Rainbow Baby Carter born March 5 2011 7lbs 7oz 20.5in 36 weeks 4days PE FREE

Baby #3 due June 2012

vit9109

Higher BP's only at the doctor's office.....Is it white coat

Postby vit9109 » Sat Apr 25, 639237 9:45 pm

Hi Ladies,
I had PP Pre-e with my first son. My BP's returned to normal ( one teens-one twenties) and I am no longer on any BP meds. When I go to the doctors, they always get high readings when they check my BP's 130's-140/70-90. I get so nervous when I have to have my BP checked. It's the same office I went to when I was recovering from Pre-e, the same room, everything. It's just a reminder of everything that we went through.

I feel my mind is in a good place to think of TTC again for #2. However, everytime I set foot in a doctors office, I can feel my nerves. I just feel my body tense up, ears feel hot, and my BP is up. I leave and all goes away and I am fine.

Prior to going to the office it was 121/65 and when I left the office it was 116/66....totally normal.

Did any of you ladies have this? I want to make sure that this doesn't interfer with a future pregnancy as far as prolonging a dx of pre-e or assuming there is one early on and there isn't. Of course, I will be monitoring my BP's at home so that will certainly help.

I wanted to know if any of you ladies were in the same boat. If you were, what did you do to help control your emotions or feelings to help with white coat hypertension.

I feel I am fine everywhere else. When I am not in a doctors office, my BP is normal. I am at a perfect weight, eat healthy, and positive about TTC. Why the white coat though?
Last edited by vit9109 on Sat Apr 25, 639237 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”