Worse the 2nd time around?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
twolittlebirds

Re: Worse the 2nd time around?

Postby twolittlebirds » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:32 am

What is worse the second time around?
I was diagnosed much earlier the second time around, but so far (I'm 33w) it has stayed mild and hasn't progressed as quickly as it did the first time.

If so, was your previous bought of PE mild/severe/early/late gestational age?
Previously diagnosed at 34 weeks. This time, it was 27.

Did you do anything different between the 2 pregnancies?
No. I honestly thought I definitely wouldn't get it again... stupid, I know. :oops: But last time it was my first pregnancy, I was having multiples... my odds just seemed really high. This time it's just a singleton.

brandib

Postby brandib » Sat Mar 12, 2011 04:40 pm

I just now got my labs from my first pregnancy, now gotta get them from my second, but I was better the second time around. I didn't get NEARLY as sick, but delivered a little earlier due to preeclampsia starting again and docs not wanting me to get as sick as I did the first time. I didnt' do anything differently. I don't have anything that I know of underlying......def some *off* things, but no diagnose except some weird thyroid issue. Anyways, First time bps were highest at 185/116 not sure about a 24hr urine, but I dipped +4, liver enzymes were in the 240's, horrible URQ pain, violent vommitting, swollen like a monster, headache from hades and I was just a wreck physically and emotionally. Second time bp's went up to 150's/100s, swelling started, and once things started going south, I was induced. DEF wasn't severe like my first go around. Third time was a story all of its own (highest bp 205/158, but protein only 250.).......fourth time I'm determined to not have any complications and a take-home baby :0) On two meds from the start though :0( Hctz and Lebetalol.

I wish you a looooooooong pregnancy :0) congrats on ur little snowflake!
Last edited by brandib on Thu May 17, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angieb

Postby angieb » Sat Mar 12, 2011 02:56 pm

I did lovenox even though I don't have a clotting disorder. Some MFM's will do that, and some won't. (And in some cases it may depend on if your baby had IUGR the first time and how early you got sick.) In my case, it definitely didn't hurt, and may or may not have helped. I noticed when we cut my dose in half, my blood pressures started creeping up for awhile and then went back to the normal levels. Now they took me off of it completely since I'm almost 30 weeks and they don't want it messing with delivery (I think they plan on keeping me on LDA until delivery), and my blood pressures are creeping up again. Personally, I feel like it helped. Our baby's growth went from being 4 days behind to right on track within a week, once I was on it, and by the next ultrasound 3 weeks later was a few days ahead. (Granted, it could be coincidental.)

Anyway, I've made it 7 weeks (Monday) farther than I did the first time. My blood pressure is creeping up but still reasonably okay (around 120/80), and some mild swelling and heartburn that have me wondering if pre-e might be paying a visit in the next few weeks. But I've already made it much farther than my doctors had originally even hoped for (28 wks was the initial goal, I'll be 30 wks Monday). I'm pretty sure my case will be much milder this time if I do get it because they are fully prepared to give me steroid shots and deliver very soon if pre-e rears it's face. It seems like to me, just based on observation in the couple years I've been here, that a lot of the people who get sick again at the same time or earlier, often are those who got sick at 30+ weeks. It seems like the people who got sick or started getting sick in the 20 week range, often make it either full term without getting sick or don't get sick until much later than the first time.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

riehlism

Postby riehlism » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:33 am

What is LDA?

It's Low Dose Aspirin. It's over the counter and it's only 81 mg of aspirin.

Here's why some docs recommend it:

http://www.thedoctorschannel.com/video/3510.html

However, some women with clotting factors may need a bigger boost like Lovenox, which is a daily shot of low molecular weight heparin (a blood thinner).
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:13 pm

I had severe PE and HELLP, BPs of 168/138 week hospital stay, horrible.

This time. No PE. Some Bp's up and down at the end. ANNND I have factor v.

I did lovenox and lda. Cant hurt!! I would suggest that!!! I made it 36+4 :)
Laura Angel (Factor V Leiden)
Mommy to Cara Angel 2LBS 11OZ 16 IN. Born at 30 weeks due to Severe PE & HELLP.
"My life went with you sweetheart the day angels called you home"

Our Rainbow Baby Carter born March 5 2011 7lbs 7oz 20.5in 36 weeks 4days PE FREE

Baby #3 due June 2012

kathrynb

Postby kathrynb » Fri Mar 11, 2011 08:31 pm

What is LDA?
Kathryn

Jacob Daniel Feb 18, 2011 born at 34 weeks due to severe PE, 11 days in the NICU.
5 lbs, 5 oz and 18 inches

lizard

Postby lizard » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:03 am

What is worse the second time around? no...completely PE free and made it 40wks! you will too!! :)

If so, was your previous bought of PE mild/severe/early/late gestational age? my first pregnancy i delivered at 33wks. severe PE and IUGR.

Did you do anything different between the 2 pregnancies? took LDA until 37wks, did yoga and acupuncture throughout.

lilysmommymindy

Postby lilysmommymindy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 07:29 pm

Was it worse the 2nd time around? Hope, nonexistant! Wooo!
Did I do anything different? Yes, LDA between weeka 20-36.
Happy and healthy 9 months to you!!!
Mindy

DD#1 Lily Adrianna: 8/28/08 Born 36wks 0days due to Class 2 HELLP Syndrome and Severe Preeclampsia via csection. 4lbs 10oz 17in
Fortunate to have a healthy baby and mommy, no NICU needed.

DD#2: Tatum Nicole: 8/6/10 Born 39wks 5days Scheduled CSection Preeclampsia and HELLP FREE!
7lbs 3oz 20in
Took Baby Asprin between weeks 20-36 and was co-monitored by MFM & OBGYN

tracym

Postby tracym » Thu Mar 10, 2011 07:18 pm

Was it worse the second time around?

Yes. Earlier and more severe.

1st time dx at a routine 33 week appointment with bp of 150/100 & 2+ protein. Spent 3 out of the next 4 weeks inpatient (multiple admissions, the longest being 10 days). Induced at 37 weeks when labs started to decline. Baby crashed during induction (never went into labour) and I delivered by emergent c-section under GA. I was on methyldopa, don't remember dosage but it kept bp's steady at around 140/90. Stayed on meds until 12 weeks postpartum.

2nd time was symptomatic from 27 weeks but not officially diagnosed until 31 weeks. Spent 4 out of the last 6 weeks in and out of hospital. Admitted for last time at 32 weeks, delivery decision was made due to oliguria (was at 150ml urine per 24 hours). Delivered 48 hours post steroids by semi-emergent c-section with a spinal. This time I was on 2400mg methyldopa and 90mg procardia by the end and was still regularly hitting 160/110+. Stayed on meds (procardia only) 60mg per day for about 8 weeks.

Now, 6 years after last pregancy, bp's have been hovering around 135/85 for about 6 months. We're monitoring not medicating at the moment while I work on losing some weight, but given my history (and family cardiac history) I fully expect to become chronic at some point. I'm 38 now.

No, except worried more. I knew nothing about PE 1st time around.
Tracy

Jack - 37 weeks Feb '01 (mild PE dx 33 weeks)
Kate - 33 weeks Feb '05 (severe PE dx 31 weeks)

riehlism

Worse the 2nd time around?

Postby riehlism » Thu Mar 10, 2011 06:06 pm

I was totally avoiding this question because part of me just doesn't want to know. However, I should probably ask anyway.

I know statistically it gets better with each delivery, especially if you have severe PE. I also know that some women who got very mild PE might have it worse the second time around.

My questions are:

What is worse the second time around?

If so, was your previous bought of PE mild/severe/early/late gestational age?

Loaded question, but I do appreciate your response.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192

Return to “Ask the Experienced”