nathan nicholas born 3/10/11 via c-section 32 weeks

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
nikkibee

Re: nathan nicholas born 3/10/11 via c-section 32 weeks

Postby nikkibee » Fri Mar 18, 2011 08:13 pm

thank you all SO much for your kind words and comments! it's so wonderful that complete strangers can bond with each other on a forum like this because of similar experiences. i am a member of a hyperemesis gravidarum forum as well as this one, and i don't think i could have made it through this pregnancy and kept my sanity without both of these sites! i never expected to get such amazing, sincere support from people i didn't even know, but that is what i have experienced on both sites and i am incredibly grateful.

i am looking forward to hopefully helping other people through their experiences with HG and PIH/pre-e now that i have gone through them. i have had such a wonderful experience receiving support so far, and i've gotten even more from fellow NICU and preemie moms. it's a great addition to the support i'm getting from my family and friends offline, especially since most of them have not experienced all the same things.

the internet is an amazing place sometimes!

i didn't make it to the hospital today to visit nathan as i am feeling very ill today, and i do feel guilty about it, but hubby and my mother are there right now with him. luckily hubby still wanted to go (he isn't feeling well today either) so that means the milk i pumped will get delivered, and since that's the biggest thing i can do for nathan right now, i'm very glad for that!
mama to nathan, born 3/10/11 via c-section at 32 weeks due to PIH/pre-eclampsia (2lbs 15oz) currently in NICU

lizard

Postby lizard » Fri Mar 18, 2011 03:52 pm

nikki,
congrats! he is adorable. I know EXACTLY what you are going thru right now, it is hard. i went through a similar situation my first pregnancy. my son stayed in the NICU for a little under a month. once nathan becomes a feeder and grower as they call 'em, life will get better. my son was born 2.11lbs and came home at 4.3 lbs. i spent every day going to the NICU. it just becomes your life. everything else becomes secondary. now looking back on it all, what seemed like eternity was really not that long. you can do it. at first it does seem odd and it is hard to connect to this little being but you will in no time. when you have a child in the NICU things are different, they just are. everything is not normal and harder, that is the reality...but it is your reality and it becomes your normal. just let yourself feel whatever you are feeling and hold nathan whenever you can. he knows you. good luck!! keep us posted! you are in my thoughts :)
elizabeth

christina89

Postby christina89 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 02:36 pm

CUTE!!! Im so happy for you. I so glad everythings fine. I love these stories. they make me feel a little bit of hope. I hope you can bring that beautiful baby home soon. Way to go mamma.

trish9

Postby trish9 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:47 am

What a sweet little face! Welcome Nathan! Well wishes to both of you!
Trish
Pre-eclampsia and HELLP at 23 weeks +2 days
My little love Alexander. Born and passed on January 3rd, 2010.
Underlying disorders: IgA nephropathy, chronic hypertension and Hashimoto's thyroiditis

susheli

Postby susheli » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:07 pm

Congratulations on the birth of Nathan! I'm so glad he is doing well considering all you both have been through!
Becoming a mom of a preemie is tough. My first was born under similar circumstances, she was whisked away right after birth, I couldn't see her for more than 24 hours, and when I did I felt this terrible guilt that I didn't recognize my baby, that I even wondered whether they got the right baby. And I didn't feel like a mother looking at her, but a failure as my body had not been able to carry her to term and she was suffering because of this, because of me. This was so different to how I'd expected to feel. Luckily there were volunteers - moms who had had preemies themselves - coming to the NICU where my baby was born and they told me that these feelings are NORMAL, that bonding is different and takes longer when you've been through trauma. But it HAPPENS, I PROMISE. Every little thing you can do for Nathan will make you feel more and more like his Mama, and there will be more and more as the days go by. Something that helped me to remember was also that although the doctors and nurses were keeping my baby alive, I was her only Mama, the one whose voice she would recognize, the whom to whom she was most special and would always be.

Please take good care of yourself and take each day by day, knowing each will get easier even if there are hard ones in between. And keep letting us know how you and Nathan are doing.

Hugs!
Susannah

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 08:17 pm

Congratulations! Welcome little Nathan.
When Henry was born it took me two days to realize that I was not pregnant anymore and that he was my baby. Hope you will feel better soon.
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

nikkibee

Postby nikkibee » Thu Mar 17, 2011 04:33 pm

minutes after birth

the one and only time i was allowed to hold him
mama to nathan, born 3/10/11 via c-section at 32 weeks due to PIH/pre-eclampsia (2lbs 15oz) currently in NICU

nikkibee

nathan nicholas born 3/10/11 via c-section 32 weeks

Postby nikkibee » Thu Mar 17, 2011 03:54 pm

well, after being sent to L&D on wednesday to be monitored, they kept me overnight to do a 24 hour urine collect. my headache had gotten so bad by morning that they canceled it and put me on magnesium right away. that afternoon the doctor decided to try pitocin to induce me, but after several hours i hadn't had one single contraction and in fact spent most of the time sleeping! they decided to do a c-section right away and by 6:30pm my little nathan nicholas was born! i was able to see him for a quick minute before he was taken to the NICU. i was not able to see him for more than a day after that because of the magnesium, i had to wait until it was out of my system before i was able to be wheeled down to see him.

he was 2lbs 15oz at birth, he lost about 3oz after that but as of yesterday is up to 3lbs 1oz. he has a little oxygen going into his nose but he is breathing on his own and they say he is tolerating his feedings well. at first they called him "wild man" because he was always very fussy and cranky and would flail around whenever they did anything to him, but they had a tube going into his stomach to help get air out and i think that was the problem. they took the tube out the other day and they said he has been a whole different baby since then. i hate to think that he was uncomfortable all that time, but i'm glad that he is happier now.

i'm having a bit of a rough time...having a hard time feeling like he is MY baby and that i'm a mom. i was allowed to hold him once, and it was amazing but kind of felt like i was visiting someone else's baby. he could be in the NICU for weeks or months, we're not sure, so bonding is very hard. i hate being home without him and it's hard having to go all the way to the hospital to see him each day, especially because i'm still feeling pretty terrible.

i will try to get a couple of pics up later if i can, they are on facebook but i'm not sure how to move them over to photobucket or something. i'll figure it out!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”